Find
Notify
Tools

Bar BQ rub
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone tell me where I can buy some rub suitable for pork ribs
I just bought a Char Broil smoker, offset fire box that i'd like to cook some Baby Backs on.
Local grocery stores only stock small(very small) containers with a not so small price.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think salt and pepper is best as suggested by Zola. But if you want to add to that, I'd add some chili powder, garlic powder, oninon powder, and maybe a bit of cumin. Paprika if you want to get fancy, but you'll never taste it over the rest of that stuff.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cabela's would be a good source for commercial rubs. Look near the camping section. Walmart has good rubs by Weber at the moment; probably a seasonal item.

All the previous advice is good advice.

For something different try Walkerswood Jamaican Jerk Seasoning. You can get it at a World Market.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most 'cooks' do not buy rub. A 'cook ' makes a rub( or seasoning).
My pork ribs tonite will have
Black pepper
Season salt
Garlic powder AND alot of smoke
Seared and then slow cooked.
Hell of an aphrodisiac !

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I appreciate the advice, I'm a rookie at this as you know.
One very kind person on this board is sending me some rub.
I don't know how I lived all these years without this offset smoker. All we've cooked on it so far is burgers, looking to branch out.
Thanks again to all.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
2 cups brown sugar, 1/2 c black pepper, 1/2 c coarse salt, 1/4 c cayenne, 1/4 c garlic...mix together... rub, allow to sit for an hour or 2.. then smoke, sprinkle a little rub on as it cooks... but keep it off direct fire as the brown sugar will burn...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2824 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the recommendations. But Taz, our resident master chef has provided me with a source that he uses and reasonably priced as well. No one ever accused me of being a "cook".

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Add some mustard powder -- I forgot that. Or marinade the meat in cheap French's mustard overnight. That works too.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the mustard powder idea.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am just getting into smoking and have good initial luck using Famous Daves Rib Rub and brown sugar.
I have not experimented further and I know most people are more experienced at this, but everyone who ate my country style ribs thought they were great.

Posts: 273 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i make my own, but penzeys makes a pretty good one

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to "standard" barbecue rub, I used to waste a lot of time and effort trying to come up with my own - eventually I tried some made by a friend as he was getting his business off the ground, and discovered that it is exactly what I am looking for in a barbecue rub. He uses quality ingredients such as top-shelf Hungarian paprika - a tribute to his heritage - and he does not load his rub up with salt and cheap fillers. If you go to www.madhunkymeats.com and try Rich's General Purpose rub, you will certainly not be sorry. He's got a few other products that are also dxefinitely worth a look, and he is a true gentleman to do business with. His prices are good, too.

As far as making my own - when I do engage in this, I tend to tailor it towward the desired goal or "theme" of a cook, such as when I'm doing a Greek-themed meal, or a Yucatan-style barbecue. I did come across a really nice and very unique rub from another friend in Kentucky that I tried, and found it to be excellent. I sued it on a beef brisket, but I can definitely see its potential for pork, chicken and even robust fish. Here's the recipe, which I do recommend:

Java Rub

6 tbls finely ground coffee
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbls sea salt
2 tbls brown sugar or powdered honey
2 tbls Hungarian sweet paprika
2 tsp garlic granules
2 tsp black peppercorns*
2 heaping tsp coriander seed*
2 heaping tsp cumin seed*

*Toasted and ground

I made this rub last weekend, with a couple of slight variations due to what I have on hand:

Turbinado sugar (in the raw) in place of brown sugar)
Kosher salt in place of sea salt.

The coffee I used is absolutely awesome: Gevalia traditional roast ground coffee from Sweden, the land of my ancestors. Also, based on some private correspondence, I took some advice that Brook gave to me and added a little zing in the form of 2 tablespoons of decent, well-balanced (but not HOT) chili powder.

This rub smells and tastes amazing - you won't regret trying it.

Brook also developed a good coffee-based barbecue sauce that makes a great compliment to this rub. He says that it's based on his mother's recipe and therefore goes back to at least the 1950s, long before coffee was the "hot, new trend" in barbecue. Here's the recipe:

In a pot, over medium heat, combine:

1/3 cup of strong, black coffee
1/3 cup of ketchup
1/4 cup Worcestershire
4 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons molasses
A healthy squeeze of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
Several glugs of hot sauce or to taste.

Simmer for 30 minutes until thickened.

Caution: This can go from too-thin to too-thick in a heartbeat. So monitor it closely as the time clicks by. If it becomes too thick (keep in mind, like many sauces, it gets thicker as it cools) thin it out with additional coffee and/or ketchup.

The only change I made to the recipe above was due to the fact that I have no Frank's original hot sauce, which I usually use because it has all of the flavour with none of the heat. The "mildest" hot sauce I have at the moment is Tabasco, which might possibly kill my wife, so I substituted with a generous teaspoon of chili powder.

Tasting this sauce as it simmered, I really liked it - and it was a worked very well with the Java rub - nice harmony. Brook cautioned that this sauce might be more suited to poultry and "too sweet" for beef, but it seems fine to me. The molasses I used was blackstrap molasses, which is much less sweet than regular molasses - so perhaps that made a difference.

Hope this helps ~

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote