New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elk in the freezer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We mix 10% beef tallow with grinding on our deer meat. Elk are a lot bigger and I am a bit concerned about spoilage with the fat mixed in. Will take a while to consume an elk. We usually put two deer in the freezer that last right up to opening day of the next year. Advice is appreciated, of course I have to get one first.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 580 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mix my Elk every year with 10% same as you do with your deer, vacuum pack, and never had any problems.Good luck on your hunt.

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Indeed, sealed it will last for a long time; unless some idiot kicks the cord loose from your freezer, which I witnessed once after the fact. Talk about one MAJOR piss off!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We don't mix fat with our elkburger but we do make a lot of burger out of our elk, and a little sauage.. We don't like deer burger so we steak deer out...I love elk burger, make a lot of it and don't mix beef in it..Its clean, great for tacos, spegetti, stew, and hamburgers as is..
I also have a beef in the freezer all the time.

I doubt if you will have any problem with suit or fat in your elk, beef is good for many months if package properly..meat will last much longer if package in those air tight sealed bags..I have some meat over a year old and good as new in those sealed bags...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41746 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We used to add beef fat into the hamburger, but quit.
Now, we just grind the venison without addition. Frankly, we like that better for most uses. But if you need some fat, we buy some of the cheapest hamburger at the store and mix right before cooking.

Posts: 9944 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank all of you. Got home today with a 7x7.

Posts: 580 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
It's hard to beat straight venison chili. When my boys were in high school, my home was filled with their friends + when the word was out that I was making venison chili, I had to make a HUGE batch. Teenage boys can eat A LOT! That has been over 35 years ago but every now + then I see one of those grown-up boys in the grocery store + they still call me Dad + want to know when I'm gonna make another batch. Always makes me feel good.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Big Grin tu2

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Big congrats to Okie on the 7X57.

It may sound gross to some. But, in addition to the usual seasoning, I've added extra virgin olive oil to venison or elk burger for extra fat and flavor with some bread crumbs to hold it together like fine cut crusty Italian bread. It's best cooked to at least medium. O.O. tastes buttery when cooked, totally different than uncooked.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5079 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was ranching, my son was going to SuL Ross college, When we branded he bought his school frineds to the ranch and that was a hoot..

At the time I had around 10 saddle mules, a string of brood mares and about 10 ranch horses and he would bring the whole horse shoeing course cowboys to shoe my horses, the mules had never been shod and some of those mares had not, it was a rodeo to watch, then had to knock them down tie the feet and shoe them,,I should have sold tickets to all the folks in AlPine and Marathon tExas... jumping

I fed then fried deer meat, pinto beans, flour tortillas, pico de gallo, mashed potatoes and they could eat a whole deer at one meal, 5 or 6 Spanish goats bar b qued, and a hind quarter at a time..expensive but they earned their feed..

It was a fun 4 or 5 days, those kids loved it. Then hunting season rolled around and 4 or 5 of them would show up and hunt..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41746 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a lot of fun to me.