New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Goose & Duck recipie
 Login/Join

<Ten32>
posted
Just started waterfowl hunting this year and could use some good recipies. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ten, We get loads of ducks and geese every hunting season.
With ducks, I like to fillet the breast out and cut them into 1/2" strips. Marinate them overnight in the fridge with your favorite blend of spices(Italian dressing, Cajun seasoning, etc.) and then bread them up with seasoned flower and deep fry with 375 deg peanut oil just until they start to turn golden brown. Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice(I like to mix A-1 Steak Sauce with Tabasco), some german fries and enjoy.
Like most wild game, if it is fried too long it will dry out and will be tough.
With geese, I use those roasting bags. Rub the goose with olive oil, season, slice up an onion, 2-3 carrots, 2-3 potatos, pour in 1/2 cup of chicken broth, seal bag, pop in 325 deg oven for 1 1/2-2 hours. Serve veggies and natural gravy over wild rice. Enjoy.
Hope you get plenty of birds.
*Nut*

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
<BC hunter>
posted
Nutoy, I was wondering about your recipe for roast goose. Do you skin the bird, or pluck it.
I am going for some Canada's in Sept. and will be hopefully trying out your goose recipe.
Any other goose recipes out there?

one of us
posted Hide Post
BC, sorry for the delay.
Back when I was waterfowl guiding I got one of those plucking machines that has little rubber fingers that spin on a wheel. Makes super short work on plucking birds.
When I did'nt have it I would pluck the birds that did'nt have too many pin feathers and skin the ones that did.
As for cooking in the bag, either with skin or without will work.
Good luck on your hunt.

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Give "Just Game Recipes" a peek: Just Game Recipes Link

Enjoy...and good hunting!

Bob [Cool]

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've posted this before in a couple of places, and it is so simple it hardly qualifies as a recipe, but it has two great qualities, it is very quick and it is good. And, you don't have to pick a goose or duck to cook it. And, very few people cook it this way. Great for a party or duck camp.

Breast a couple of Canadas or Specs or several mallards, or other big ducks(just depends on how many you want to feed, if it is all you are going to have as an entree for hunters, that is, in camp, I figure a minimum of 2 goose(that is one goose's worth, lol) or 4 mallard breasts/hunter)melt a stick(1/4 pound of butter in a skillet, preferably iron)salt and pepper the breasts to taste, and cook the breast in it, turning once if possible, in other words, sort of seared on the outside and red on the inside, until just what we would call rare to very rare, if it was a steak. Like all wild meats, DO NOT OVERCOOK, rarer is much to be preferred. Serve whole, if you wish, tastes pretty much like a good steak, or sliced as a main course, or as hors d'oeurves on crackers, with a good mustard, such as honey mustard, Gulden's, etc, if you've got it.

If you've got the time, and inclination, the rest of the birds carcasses can be used as the basis for a gumbo, which is actually very easy to do, but some people(heathens and/or Yankees, or is that the same thing [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes] ) don't like the taste of the roux.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I guarantee you will eat this and ask for more. Cut your duck or goose breast meat into hunks the size of a chicken mcnugget.

Soak it overnite or at least 4 hours in a 50/50 mixture of Italian dressing and Soy sauce. Wrap a strip of bacon around it and stick a toothpick thru the bacon and duck meat to hold it together.

Plop it on a grille and when the bacon is done go ahead and eat it. People who wont normally eat wild meat will fight over the last piece.

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo has it right: Cook it til rare in butter. I cut them into 1 1/2" strips I also use my game sauce which is on this page, and after cooking in butter til very rare, I drain off the butter, add several table spoons of the sauce, and quickly saute the breasts until the sauce carmelizes onto the meat. A bottle of Merlot, some wild rice, and youre on your way!!

Posts: 425 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take two good size ducks or one pretty good size goose, put them in a slow cooker and pour two cans of fruit cocktail over them. Let them cook all day. Serve the gravy that is made over rice. You'll like it!

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Take your duck breast fillet,and marinate it in Italian Dressing in the fridge overnight. When you're ready, take each fillet, roll it up and then wrap a couple of strips of bacon around it. Secure the bacon with tooth picks as needed. Fire up your gas grill and put the wrapped fillets on the grill after it's heated up. Leave them on until the desired "doneness" is reached. Enjoy.
As options, you can also use wine, or milk, or 7Up for the marinade. I prefer the 7Up.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
This is EXCELLENT!! [Wink]

-

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote