Thanks Joe, about 9am I had to start running the neighbors off

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What did you smoke it with ?

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Hi Mete, I put a coat of Red hot. hot sauce on each piece then into the smoker at 240* for the first two hours. reduce the heat to around 180* until the tops of the piece are dry. I use hickory chips and nut shells thru the whole process. no peanuts hulls.
The fish is salmon soaked in a salt brine for 2 days. rinsed and patted dry before I put the hot sauce on it.
BEST YOU EVER HAD.
its a little different than the standard smoked salmon
Dave

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
WOW! Which Salmon and type did you smoke? Atlantic, Pacific? King? Pink? etc?

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
They are from Brazil. Farm raised. get IT at Sam's club. It has just the right amount of fat and does not dry out. light steam in the micro and its just as good as when you first take it out of the smoker. mix a little mayo sweet relish and horse radish. For a dip and its great.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks and sounds great! I smoke trout each spring, but have yet to try salmon...one of these days!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smoked salmon with a horseradish sauce is great. I whip up heavy cream, add horseradish to taste, a dash of salt and a bit of finely minced chives. It generally goes pretty fast, even the coho which I can't get anybody to eat any other way.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
We hotsmoke,coldsmoke,freeze, salt,can,pickle,dry,etc,rtc about 200 sockeye salmon a year for ourselves,, another 2-300 for our dogs!!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1407 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of salmon!

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
They are from Brazil. Farm raised. get IT at Sam's club. It has just the right amount of fat and does not dry out. light steam in the micro and its just as good as when you first take it out of the smoker. mix a little mayo sweet relish and horse radish. For a dip and its great.

Gonna have to try this. Fresh or frozen at Sams?

Mike

Posts: 21093 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Friends,

This summer is forecasted to bring a glut on the market of sockeye salmon and I'd recommend you try some. Apparently theres still some left over frozen from last year I'd not recommend, but this year in the west is supposed to bring a huge return and harvest. Price should be down and supply should be plentiful.

As Waterrat indicated above, sockeye are quite good in the smoker.

Posts: 9022 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Hi mike, I have tried a lot of different fish over the year. There is little difference between fresh and frozen salmon. But not enough to make a difference to me.
Wild fish tends to be drier after its smoked. Shark is pretty good as is dolphin , steel head is great like the salmon. The Atlantic salmon I had was pretty plain and dry. if you try walleye or bass bluegill expect to loose about 1/2 to shrinkage. they have a lot of water.
hope salmon turns out for you. in 25yrs I have only had two or three people that didn't like it.
Let me know if you liked it
Dave

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Picked up some yesterday at Sams. Got the frozen filets. Plan to smoke it Sunday with pecan. Going to soak it in a brine for a few hours first. Should be tasty.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Inspired by hivelosity I decided to smoke some salmon filets. I used a little different approach. I first rinsed and patted dry the filets then soaked them in a brine for two hours. The brine was 1/2 c. kosher salt, 1/2 c. brown sugar, 1/2 squeezed lemon and about 1/2 gal of water. After soaking in the brine I smoked the filets with pecan chips for 4 hours at 190 degrees (to an internal temp on the filets of 140-145 degrees). I made a spread with a mixture of mayo, sweet jalapeno relish and horseradish. And of course everything sits better on a Ritz. Turned out damn tasty. Thanks for the inspiration hivelosity.

Mike

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Mike, for a first try it looks like you did well! I just acquired a smoker and I think I will have to give it a try.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
guys you have to try the red hot. put it on when you put the salmon in the smoker. mike the sauce sounds great.
Dave

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
guys you have to try the red hot.

Just to be clear, are you talking about Frank's Red Hot hot sauce?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Franks is good so is texas pete. tabasco .I have used it all . the smoke will take away some of the heat. if you like it a little spicy use a light coat of Cajun seasoning.