New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roast Rabbits
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
There is no easier way to cook a rabbit than this.

We used to do this years ago in the desert.

We would go out in the evening with a strong torch, and our 410 shotguns.

We would shoot a few rabbits.

The ones for next day are cleaned and prepared.

Ones for breakfast are just buried under the sand by the fire.

Skin and and all, nothing is done to them at all.

They are left there all night.

In the morning they are dug up.

The skin just falls off by itself, the hair is still on, and the meat is well and truly cooked.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Gutted first, right? Big Grin I saw a show where a guy was crossing Namibia and killed a puff adder, cut off its head and then buried it near or under a fire that he had built. He then dug it up after a while and ate the flesh off of it. Wasn't too appealing to me, as he didn't skin it or gut it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't look a roast rabbit in the face. We used to eat a lot of "rabbit pie" when I was 3 to about 6 years old. We had a lot of "pet" rabbits in a hutch out back. (I never made the connect.) When one of my favorites would disappear my dad would tell me, "the tarantulas carried it off". I believed him, but I'm beginning to wonder if maybe he made that story up.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
No we do not gut it.

The Bedouin’s eat the whole gut, with everything in it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
In the early 70s I went on a backpack camping trip with as buddy + that night at the campfire he wrapped an apple in A/L foil + buried it in the coals for baked apple for breakfast. In the morning after getting the coffee going we pulled out the apple, still, the perfect shape, peeled off the foil to discover NOTHING there. Apples are mostly water BTW! As to the gut eating, I recall reading about the early American bison hunters that would fight over the guts + one would get on each end + start to swallow as much as they could working toward the middle + even recovering some from their opponent.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Not to be too far off topic, but as we have all experienced, African trackers and skinners take all of the guts for themselves, with the exception of the stomach contents. Big Grin I'm not sure that I would be into eating gut and all, with all of the shizz, piss, half digested food and other wonderful items contained therein-cooked or not cooked. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are hungry enough, you will eat anything...

Eeker

Posts: 10573 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The aboriginals here used that cooking technique as well.

Personally, I prefer to make rabbit stew and, if the rabbits are young and tender, simply pan fried with onions and garlic.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I loved that Paul Newman movie "Hombre" + the scene where the missionaries wife is staked out to the hillside in the direct sun. After previously condemning those filthy Indians for eating dogs, then Paul says, "Ask her if she'd eat dog now."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote