Find
Notify
Tools

Cheese is cold-smoking this morning
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Cut a loaf of good old Oregon Tillamook cheddar into eight cubes, put it in the unlit Weber and lit the smoke tube full of Traeger hickory pellets. Will pull the cheese in a couple of hours, let it age a month, and enjoy.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16321 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have amazing patience. I can never wait that long to polish off a wedge of Tillamook.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Me either! rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
I give him two weeks at best and then he caves-in like a cheap card table.

Posts: 13761 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see how it could possibly survive the smoker.

I would rather just eat the cheese and smell the smoke. Same thing, right?

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
The key, for me, is to put it way in the back on the bottom shelf in the fridge where I have a chance of forgetting about it ...

– John Green, author

Posts: 16321 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
How long and how warm do you smoke it?

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's not how warm. It's more about how long the exposure to the smoke. You don't want heat. That's why it's called cold-smoke. You can cold smoke in any kind of a closed container. The temperature has to be below 90 degrees. I don't monitor the temperature, I just keep the cheese far away from the heat source. A mozzarella (or Oaxaca) will wilt in less than 90 degrees, so I keep it even further from the heat.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
MeMe, this was two hours with just the smoke tube going on a cool mid-50s morning.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
Ken and Bill.
Thank You for the info. It is much appreciated. Have a great weekend.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Have another batch going this morning, Tillamook sharp and pepper jack.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn Bill

In Venezuela we always referred to cheese as a butt plug. You better regulate your intake. That's a lot of cheese.

One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
My mouth is watering and it is not even smoked.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well Bill old buddy old pal, when you send me that revolver that I just bought from you, could you see clear to putting a bit of your cheese in the pkg.? Hey, It never hurts to ask. Wink Now I just have to tell my dealer to keep his hands OFF!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Christmas is just around the corner, isn't it, Randy ... Cool

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Actually, I am going to take this advice from an old hand on an Oregon fishing forum for my next batch, and probably find some apple pellets to smoke with.

"This is a great way to smoke cheese but if I may would like to offer a suggestion to those of you that set the smoke tube on the main grate. Remove the grate and any other pieces from the grill so you can place the smoke tube as close to the fire pot as you can, then replace said parts and smoke away. Even a smoke tube that close to the cheese at times may be too much heat. If you have a warming box on your grill set up, use it and still get that smoke tube as far away from your cheese as possible. I also use as low of a btu pellet as I can, usually a fruit wood. Pellets like oak and alder get pretty hot even in a smoke tube. I hope this helps a little."

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well Bill old buddy old pal, when you send me that revolver that I just bought from you, could you see clear to putting a bit of your cheese in the pkg.? Hey, It never hurts to ask. Now I just have to tell my dealer to keep his hands OFF!

rotflmo clap rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of SpicyCrabDip
posted Hide Post
Hey there Bill... unless you got enough cheese for the class, stop tormenting us! Seriously though, looks great!

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I have to try this. I'm going to get extra sharp cheddar at a local store. I have noticed a strange thing about their cheddar. The sharper the term it the milder it is. So the extra sharp cheddar I am buying is rich and almost butter like! Way milder than the standard stuff. Any ideas on the classification? OT on the types of cheese, I have a question. Is anyone familiar with Auriccio? I believe that was the term. I used to buy one pound blocks from Niki's in Phoenix but haven't been back since Mom died. It is aged Provolone. If I could find some I would try the smoke on it. It has to be room temp or warmer and it STINKS, but when you taste it there is a flavor that is sharp and yet mild at the same time. I really can't describe it properly. Strong enough it could be mixed in catfish cheesebait. Or perhaps for carp. That or when it hits the water the fish jump out and you just net them! Be Well my smoky cheese eating friends, Packy.