Find
Notify
Tools

Another way to do brisket
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
WIll have to try this, and will report when I do.
https://www.panningtheglobe.co...mans-brisket-recipe/

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16335 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw the same this morning - it looks good!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i "saved" it to a folder. let me know how it turns out.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only thing that turns me OFF is that there is no smoker involved. Got to be some way you could incorporate that into the recipe.

Posts: 13766 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I've saved it as well.It sounds really good.Worth a try sometime when we're not doing it the traditional way.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill, I'm gonna do it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tounge in cheek here;since it is a Jewish recipe,it will most likely give me heartburn. I remember the comedian Buddy Hackett giving the routine that after living at home all his life + eating his mother's cooking,went into the army + after a week of army chow he thought he was gonna die. He said "My fires gone out!"

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks about like crock pot cooking - i'll stick with my smoker

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

I like brisket in a pressure cooker, tenderized it proper. This might work nicely with just a little water in the bottom of the pressure cooker to pressurize it.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14350 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,I like my smoker as well but I'm not objectionable to try something new ONCE.I have never cooked anything in my pressure cooker;only canned. The county Ag ext. office would calibrate your pressure cooker for free.Don't know if they still do that.Most likely not as that is a service.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ken, bet you could hit it with some smoketube smoke for an hour or two before cooking.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16335 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a thought.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well, went in to get a flat cut brisket and noticed excellent boneless chuck roasts on sale, so it's another Mississippi Roast for this José ...

hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

Did it up for tonight's dinner. Excellent! Fork/fall apart tender. Definitely a keeper.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good report.Thanks.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks Craigster.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brisket and Mesquite for me...My mom could cook brisket in a wood fire over that was to kill for, but then every thing she cooked was to kill for, and God bless her, she tought my wife of 63 years to cook..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41791 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I Have a new recipe for brisket for those of you with smokers. My method isn't a day job though.
I start with charcoal and the local oak here in Colorado. Don't care what temperature my smoker gets to, doesn't matter. I use an untrimmed brisket with the fat on top and put the brisket on the smoker.
While it's getting a start, I take (in a big deep kettle)
3liters of Coka Cola
2 lbs of brown sugar
5 Tbs of powdered Garlic
3 TBS seasoning salt
4 TBS black pepper
3 big TBS of Honey
3 TBS of Vanilla extract
1 bottle of Liquid Smoke
Stir it up really well and after the brisket has been on for at least 45 minutes, start dragging the brisket through the baste every 30 minutes

Leave the brisket on the smoker for 6 1/2 to 7 hours to get the good smoke ring on the meat.
After 7 hours, take the brisket off and triple wrap it in heavy duty aluminum foil and put in the oven for 8 hours at around 180 degrees.
If the meat is a good cut and tender, you can't usually pick the brisket up with a fork to put on a cutting board and trust me, Nobody spits my brisket out!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1096 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,that calls to memory of an old friend + shooting buddy back in the day.(past now) that was born in 1913.He told me when was growing up in LA.his buddy in school would have him over to spent the night as kids do.The kids dad was a sawyer (worked the saw mill),the mother had 24 kids + she baked biscuits on an old wood stove/oven (the real thing).I had one at one point that was retrieved from an old ranch house in Castell,Tx. with a calendar on the wall of 1929. I used that old stove/oven. It was a chore to bake bread.I am thankful for modern conveniences,such as gas + electric ovens + INDOOR plumbing.I have had to live the other way in the past + it is an experience that most should go through to REALLY appreciate what they have today.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I recall when the ranch in West texas had no electricity, no phone, wood stove that never went out as I recall..Folks down there ate pinto beans with every meal..fried round steak or deer, pico and all kinds of chili, corn tomatoes all from the garden..A roast was usually a dutch over an two pounds of cilantro, if breakfast wasn't deer sauage, bacon and eggs, it was biscuits with a mixture of peanut butter an Honey or Karo syrup mixed, and it was addictive..

We ate "unhealthy" for sure, but we worked it off evey day, and Ive made it to 84 so far, not to mention that I smoked for 50 or those years, drink beer and whiskey in huge abundance until about 25 years old, started young..gave up the bad habits for reasons unknown to me, still have a beer or glass of wine from time to time..

I figure exercise must of been the key, and that applies with any diet,and I sure if you eat too many apples and too much salad it'll kill you sooner or later, the liberal diet minded folks in LA need to understand its the quality of life that counts so quit eating chicken and fish and food that taste like cardboard, all water comes out of a hydrant btw.. old and healthy...

Man can live on bread alone, but only if its a flour tortilla.. tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41791 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the old Red Foxx routine that he says " You folks that don't drink, don't smoke, eat healthily, etc. are gonna look funny as hell sitting up there in the hospital dying from nothing."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rayon the tortilla subject. My Methodist preacher buddy has a theory; I don't know where he did his research but here goes. During the 1500s when Spain was taking then New World back at home the Inquisition was in full swing, targeting any conception of heretics but mostly jews. (one more time) The Jewish pioneers migrated to the new world as well to escape the inquisition. Needing to tay undercover so to speak in the New World + still follow the heritage they blended in with the indigenous people baking tortillas which are in truth unleavened bread. Thus the theory of the birth of the tortilla was due to the Hebrew movement. I DON'T know, but like anything else, interesting to think about.