New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wish You Were Here
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
There is a deserted village in the desert.

The sand has covered the houses, and rumor has it there ghosts living there.

I did not see any when I went to have a look.

My daughter and her friends wanted to drive there and take pictures, and from one kid to another several families decided to join them.

So we decided to make it a desert outing.

Several families are coming, and we plan to find some shady trees and have lunch after escaping the ghosts!

I got some lamb, chicken, and two varieties of burgers.

Normal ones and vegetarian ones, as we have some women who have not developed into normal humans, so they still feed on grass products!

The lamb is my specialty.

I have already cut it into cubes, marinated it in yogurt, chopped onions, black pepper and dried lime.

Our chef is preparing the chicken as he usually does.

Everything will be put on skewers, and left in the fridge over night to marinade.

Maktoum has all the cooking equipment, and we all look forward to having a memorable meal.

Will let you know how it all goes.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66724 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
It all sounds good except the vegetarians.

~Ann

Posts: 19125 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We are going to be over 30 people on this venture.

And I understand there are 2 vegetable heads, and one or two who have other food preferences.

Being here, no quarters are given, and everyone makes fun of everyone else.

Makes life so much fun.

I think there are going to be about a dozen different nationalizes too.

And all bloody foreigners are fair game for jokes.

In fact, just got a message from an Englishman asking "what nasty tricks are we planning for the Frogs?"

Posts: 66724 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Can't wait for the report and pics! rotflmo Sounds like a full out organized desert halloween party at the local insane asylum with all of the international inmates! rotflmo clap Now, the food planned and being provided definitely sounds first class-except for that being used to feed the plant eaters! clap jumping Query: Will your star attraction and his spawn also be in attendance?! rotflmo Saeed: One of your desert adventures would definitely be on my bucket list! clap

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Concerning the vegetarian issue. About 30 years ago before my divorce, (she had gone over the bend doing Ren. Fair, etc.) + dealing with a lot of odd people. Well, she wanted me to cook all veggy. Being a decent fellow I went to Elgin for a bunch of sausage links, spent a bit too. She saw them + blew up," my friends don't eat that kind of thing." imperiously. I had it at that point so I told her, "If they don't then that's the ONLY bunch of nixxers that wouldn't Elgin hot gut sausage! Guess what got scarfed up 1st.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Here are a few pictures of our lunch.

Lots more are posted on the Photo Forum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What great portable kitchen equipment! + a very nice place for a gathering.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Amazing pics. All that sand in a few lone green trees. Really cool to see such different parts of the world.

Alaska is all green (when it's not white) and more fresh water than the other 49 states.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The desert is very strange.

There is no surface water, but in some areas bushes grow, in others they don't.

This tree is actually from the acacia family.

Somehow grows between a bunch of sad dunes, which was great not just for the shade, but also for wind protection.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uh, I could have come if I would have received my invitation! LOL

That looks like a lot of fun with family and friends!~!! Delicious too, I was a lamb kabob!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You notice no ketchup, mayo or mustard in the pics, but definitely a bottle of Saeed's favorite: TABASCO SAUCE. rotflmo clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Tabasco sauce is a given. I start my day with Tabasco sauce on my eggs + end the day with Tabasco sauce on whatever I am eating for supper.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
You notice no ketchup, mayo or mustard in the pics, but definitely a bottle of Saeed's favorite: TABASCO SAUCE. rotflmo clap

I actually had packed tomato ketchup and may too.

In fact, some of the kids won’t eat burgers without ketchups!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like a proper outing!

~Ann

Posts: 19125 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sent pictures a videos to a friend in Norther Sweden.

He sent me a video of them having a bbq too.

In the snow at -16 clap

A friend from Canada said he could not survive at 41!

He would melt! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those skewers look awesome. And you need some Woeber's jalapeno mustard for those burgers. It's great.

Posts: 9945 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never tryed Woeber's jalepeno mustard. I buy Delicatessin Senf from Germany. I'll have to try it, I do like spicy.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Great picnic, Saeed. You weren't kidding about finding a lovely shade tree. I am not a lamb fan, but your skewers look wonderful.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16295 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You can use different meat for the kebab, as we do sometimes.

Both beef and goat meat is very good too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We're big on goat (cabras) here in Texas for cookouts. That would work well on a kabab.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I've only tried goat as jerky. That was good. Will have to try Saeed's marinade very soon.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16295 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What we do as per the Mexican way is to dig a pit; build a fire on the side. Butcher the goat (you always buy them alive + do this yourself). They are always available in the Mexican part of town (oh, shit, now I'm racist too) under the heading 'Se Vendes Cabras'. Anyway after you butcher out the goat you fill the bottom of the pit with coals from your carefully watched fire the wrapping the goat in wet burlap put on top of the coals, cover with more coals + then fill in the pit with the dug out dirt. Give it 8-12 hours depending on the size of the goat. When you dig it up it will fall apart in your hands.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, I would think it would be tough not letting it age a few days before cooking.

~Ann

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We almost always eat animals killed the same day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
We almost always eat animals killed the same day.

When I was a new hunter the first deer I ever killed had to be butchered right away as it was 90F. My mentor at the time said, I regretted that. It was as tough as shoe leather and went to dog food instead of steaks for me.

A neighbor butchers her rabbits and stuffs them in the freezer right away. Also tougher than shoe leather when cooked. Dry too.

I don't have a cool room but I wet age butchered small stock for a few days in my refrigerator. No regrets. Larger stuff, like deer, hang in the barn when cold out.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was for buried cabras. When killing a goat to make it tender, string it up, cut its throat, gut it + IMMEDIATELY fill the abdomen cavity with ice, I have done this with old billy goats that should have been inedible but done this way made great soft tenders.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
What a bunch of sissies!

Chop it’s head off, cut it up and cook it.

But, I am a proper human being being.

I eat meat very well cooked.

Unlike some of hyaenas among you lot! clap

We are having an Iftar BBQ this evening.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

This is a proper steak:

~Ann

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Very nice dinner for hyaenas!

Not fit for human consumption!

If it shows any sign of blood, I don’t eat it.

Why bother cook it then? rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
But Saeed, look at the nice char on that backstrap! It's perfect and tender as can be.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good looking steak Ann, I agree to liking mine rare. I do like to sear the outer surface but keep it moist + bloody interiorly. That a loaded baked potato makes a meal. Sometimes I add a vegetable on the side Smiler

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We had a BBQ by our pool here Wednesday for our Iftar.

I will post photos.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, did you hire a photographer for the picnic?

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Saeed, did you hire a photographer for the picnic?

Sadly, no.

I cannot afford it, I had to do it all by myself!

I have lots of friends, and all of them are worse than me in this regard.

I am what you might call "a one eyed man is king among the blind".

It got so bad when I am around no one bothers take any pictures, they just ask for mine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I cannot afford it, I had to do it all by myself!

rotflmo clap Damn, Saeed, you are one funny man!! There is no need for Walter and his antics! clap

"It got so bad when I am around no one bothers take any pictures, they just ask for mine. rotflmo clap jumping"

Just rely on Mr. Nice Guy! rotflmo clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can relate to that! "oh, you're going to the store/ gun show , etc. pick me up this + that + I'll pay you back later." Roll Eyes

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Actually, my example of a one eyed man being a king among the blind is true.

It started years ago when my daughter was in elementary school.

Every parent had a camera, taking pictures of all their sport and art activities.

Somehow my pictures and videos were better than everyone else!

No wonder!

I started taking funny ones people did not appreciate.

Like taking a picture of someone's big protruding stomach in profile and posting it on the noticeboard and asking who it belongs to! sofa

Then everyone stopped taking pictures, and just asked me to give them copies of mine.

Worked great, as I always get the best positions.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Here are some photos of our BBQ by the pool.

We have built a tree house for Hessa, and it over looks part of where we keep some of our animals.

Meat was beef and lamb..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed--Excuse ol dumb me. It is readily apparent you could not afford a photographer. I did think I saw you in some of the pictures, so wondered if a photographer was hired. BTW you are a great photographer. Perhaps we could have a section on this forum to take up a collection so you could afford to hire a photographer and take that load off of you. Obviously if you were paying a photographer you may have had to cut back a couple of cape buffalo.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have a few friends coming over tonight to watch a soccer match.

Tacos on the menu after tortilla chips.

We make the chips by putting refried beans on, lots of copped jalapeños, covered in cheddar cheese.

Under the grill.

It is a favorite of everyone here.

Hessa makes it for for dinner sometimes.

The tacos will have chicken and beef.

I will post photos.

Again, I wish you were here.