Find
Notify
Tools

New "Taste of New Mexico"
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Just spotted this recipe. You just know that it has to be good when it has Hatch green chiles and bacon in it! Cool
https://iamnm.com/bacon-wrappe...z6tNePZrBNzIzuzovndw

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! tu2

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill, that sounds fantastic!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That last step needs to happen on a grill. But sounds good.

Posts: 10003 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Yum, that does look good. I agree with lavaca though, let's do it on the grill or the smoker!

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
My local breakfast joint on White Sands does a breakfast burrito I adore.

Equal parts chopped ham, savory sausage, Mexican chorizo, and bacon, fresh tomatoes, grilled onions, and a ton of green chile!

With a green chile salsa on the top.

I make the same thing at home, but they must use LSD or MSG because it much more awesome than mine!

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A beautiful aspect of most of New Mexico is that iced tea means just that. Unsweet iced tea! Most places do not serve sweet tea, and get angry about it if you ask.

I asked why as I have noticed it all over New Mexico in most non-chain eating places. They say it has to do with most New Mexican's hatred of Texas.

Funny story, but I doubt it is true. Stranger aspects of living here.

I remember how much many people in Nevada hated California as a state rivalry.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe it. Sweet tea is kinda a staple here with BBQ.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW, we don't have any use for Californians either because they are ruining our property tax base.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NormanConquest, how are they ruining your tax base?

By causing an housing shortage?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By coming here + paying WAY too much for the property that should be related to texas value instead of California values, thus when they come here they pay too much + that affects the tax base that establishes the value on everybody else's property ( according to the appraisal district). I'm out in the country + the land where I live I bought in the 70s for $750.00 an acre they now appraised at $44K per acre.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh,+ BTW Wyoming, there is a great intensity of movement into the area, + in my naive thoughts, if there are X more people to absorb the taxes should mean a reduction across the board, but that is not how it works.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Seth, surely you have heard the quote attributed to Gov. Manuel Armillo back before the U.S. owned this territory:
"Poor New Mexico! So far from heaven and so close to Texas!"

hilbily

– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Along those same lines Bill, when anyone asks how is life, I reply that life is just fine, it's so many of the people who are screwing it up. And that applies to our tax base issues. Texas is a great state but the appraisal districts are robbing us blind. They always say just to talk to your representative so I ask, WHO? Just give me a name but oh no that won't happen. When it's all smoke + mirrors there is NO one responsible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Seth, surely you have heard the quote attributed to Gov. Manuel Armillo back before the U.S. owned this territory:
"Poor New Mexico! So far from heaven and so close to Texas!"

hilbily

Totally agree! jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Oh,+ BTW Wyoming, there is a great intensity of movement into the area, + in my naive thoughts, if there are X more people to absorb the taxes should mean a reduction across the board, but that is not how it works.

Even broken poor New Mexico is now suffering from this concept. We have new houses in Las Cruces at $450,000 for a 1/4 acre lot 4 bed 2300 square foot house.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My daughter in law went in to protest their taxes about 5 years ago + I wished that she had had a tape recorder in her purse (as if that would have done any good). The guy told her out right that we are raising your taxes to get "you people" out of there so we can turn that area into a new Lakeway. Thus turning this area into a subdivisional area that they can tax accordingly. They are not in it for the good of the residents, they are in it for their own gratis.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They gentrified the "hood" in Atlanta and no one with a dew rag can afford to live downtown anymore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It happened in East Austin over 35 years ago when that was the black side of town. The old residents can not afford to live there any more. I have a friend in central south Austin who has a house on a quarter acre lot in downtown that is being taxed in excess of 15K annually. She helps her retirement income by renting out rooms during SXSW + ACL, etc. (that was before covid) but the the city fathers in their wisdom ,declared that anyone renting rooms out were to pay an additional "hotel tax". I shit you not.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I have heard that now that Marfa has been "discovered," lifelong residents are being property taxed right out of their homes, as well. This sort of thing makes your citizen want to find the torches and sharpen the pitchforks.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you been to Marfa?

Kind of a hole.

Alpine is beautiful, I would totally live there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alpine is beautiful as you say. Marfa's only claim to fame are the "lights".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I have heard that now that Marfa has been "discovered," lifelong residents are being property taxed right out of their homes, as well. This sort of thing makes your citizen want to find the torches and sharpen the pitchforks.

I think the "weirdos" moved to Marfa in the 1980's.

Alpine is the nicest town on the border until you get to Sierra Vista, AZ. Sierra Vista is about 3 times as big.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Austin as my home addy but I am out in the country + have been since I moved out of Austin in the early 70s. I still have friends + contacts from the old days, but yes, Austin today has gone totally south. Mores the pity. This used to be the BEST little big small town. I thank GOD that I have my ranch in the country but even that is debatable how long I can keep it.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Never been to Marfa or Alpine.
Wonder if there is any pig hunting down thataway.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are tons of feral hogs and javelina near Alpine, mostly south near the river for the hogs.

When I hunted Elephant Mountain WMA in December of 2019 there were multiple road kill feral hogs on the highway south of town.

Finding a place that will let you shoot one, is another matter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was basically raised in Marfa, no pigs, great antelope and deer hunting however, other than that it really has little to offer..good retirement area, when I lived there it was mostly ranching and still is I would bet..Austin is a rats den of Califonia liberals for the most part..the move out of a state they screwed up and bring their dope smoking gang bangers with them to infest the community..Sorry if I hurt some feelings as I know their are good people in every town...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AS to those chiles, been eating that for years, stuffed, and sometime stuffed and in a quail over the hot coals of Mesquite wood..

For the greatest food in the world, try any mexican varity thats prepared between Southern New Mexico and El Paso Texas. It's a whole nuther world..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote