New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canning Venison
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm thinking about canning some venison this fall since my freezer space is a little tight. I've looked online and have found quite a bunch of info but I'm interested if any members have any particular recipes or methods they use. Anyone willing to share?

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stuff in in a jar a little salt.

My mother always liked to brown the venison she caned before putting it in a jar.

My wife just puts in the jar both ways are very good

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My mom stuffs it in a jar, adds some salt and an inch diameter chunk of raw beef fat.
Its very good eating.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
There used to be a great resource on university of Fairbanks website for canning meat.

I use a pinch of salt and few drops of vinagar to mellow deer meat that was in the rut.

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the jar with a bit of salt and process in a pressure canner. If you want some variety try a a little shot of your favorite B-B-Q sauce in the jar.

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Mix meat with salt or curing salt (here we use curing salt with only 0.3% of NaNO2). I don't have any experience with different ones. Curing salt will keep the color and it is effective against bacteria etc.

Use cca 1.5-1.9 % salt per meat (my taste: 1.2 % very light, 1.5 % is medium and 1.8 % is max if you want to eat it alone).

It will produce just canned meat without any other taste. But you can use pepper, (dried) garlic, what ever you like.

Keep it in fridge for next day or over night. Put in jars, use pressure canner.

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
My mom bottled loads of it every year. I wished I had the receipe! That, and bottled trout(as well as all of the fruits and vegetables that we grew). tu2 Even bottled grape juice from the grape arbors that we had. (non-alcoholic)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kind of dish would one use canned venison in?

I have never heard of such a thing?

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at this:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeb...-chunks_topic64.html

Read it all the way through, there are some good notes/comments in the discussion.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
What kind of dish would one use canned venison in?

I have never heard of such a thing?

]
Stroganoff

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Stroganaff indeed as well as any other meat dish. I have been canning for years + using the hot bath method for my salsas + vegetables but have not used my pressure canner for meat,fowl,or fish.Several years ago the county ag. dept. would (free of charge) regulate your pressure cooker. Who knows now in this age of no service.Thanks for the input.I will also admit that several years ago when the ladies of the Walburg Lutheran Church put together a cook book for the church,I found a great recipe for kraut + remembered the womans name.I called her + made her day.The same can be said for affienatos of canned meat.As I have gotten older,I don't try to reinvent the wheel;if you've done it.please tell me.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
canning venison preserves it, without refrigeration, it preserves it for years without freezer burn, it preserves it, in a pre-cooked state, so that preparation takes only a few seconds or minutes, preserves it in a state that is safe and easy to transport, and takes up very little space.....
canning tenderzes tougher cuts, and seals in all the natural juices, canning tends to alleviate strong flavor from game meats.....
spices can be added, and tend to be more flavorful than if added during regular cooking; what you do with it is up to your own tastes, canned sausage is good in meat sauces, on pizza, in casseroles, in gravy, and chili, same with canned burger; canned chunk meat is good as-is, or in stew, chili, hash, barbecue, pot pie, sandwiches, and many other things, canned steaks/cutlets can be breaded and fried, or eaten as-is, or on sandwiches.......
Canning Deer and other meats :
Do not use open-kettle canning method for meat.
Use a modern, good quality pressure cooker, designed for canning, and capable of reaching and holding the pressures listed.

The method I use is my own and works for me. I make no representation as to it’s safety or suitability beyond the fact that it does work well for me. I assume no responsibility or liability for accident, illness, or injury resulting from use or misuse of these instructions.

Rules: Always use clean boiled CANNING JARS (no mayonnaise, pickle or mustard jars.)
Always use new, lids, designed for the jars you are using.
Always be sure your meat is clean, fresh, and safe.
Always use a pressure canner for canning meat.
Always process jars at least as long as the times given, at or above the pressures listed.
Never process meat using these instructions at over 4,000 feet above sea level. **( for revised instructions for over 4,000 feet below)
Never use any canned product if seal is broken, lid is bulged, lid is rusted, or if there is any doubt as to it’s safety.
Never cut corners.
Never place frozen meat in jars.
Meat can be cold (icecrystals in meat)but not frozen; jars will crack.
Never use damaged or chipped jars.
Raw Pack: Deer meat chunks: place in wide-mouth quart jars, force air out with wooden spoon, and fill to within 1 and 1½"of top of jar (just below shoulder) pour in 1teaspoon salt, if desired, clean rim, place lid, gently tighten rim.
Deer spareribs: leave all meat on ribs, chop into 2-3" squares, place in jars same as meat chunks, except, top with 1 tablespoon sausage Seasoning. Clean rim. Place lid on jar.
Deer Sausage: season and grind sausage to taste, roll into 2" balls, dop in jars, press in with wooden spoon to force out air, fill to within 1 and ½" of rim. Clean rim. Place lid on jar.
Deer burger: same as above.
Deer-n-pig: my favorite! Cut deer tenderloin (back-strap) and fresh pork tenderloin or lean fresh pork butt, into 2" cubes, place in jars as above, add 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon rubbed sage, Clean rim, place lid on jar. Do not add any liquid to raw-pack…. When a canner load of jars is full place in canner, with hot (not boiling) water. Boiling water will crack jars when cold.
Increase heat until canner is at a rolling boil, then place lid, and set pressure. Use 10 psi up to 2,000 feet, 15 psi 2,000 to 4,000 feet. When canner reaches set pressure, start timing, hold at or above pressure for 90 minutes, or more. Longer times or higher pressure will cause sparerib bones to become cooked and "chalky".

I have a system: I pretend to work and they pretend to pay me!

Posts: 106 | Location: Cuero, TX. | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of info on the web. Do a few searches

I had some canned venison the other day that has been sitting in the closet for 6 years. I also had some canned chicken that I made 3 years ago. Both are still great!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXRandy:
Lots of info on the web. Do a few searches

Go back and actually read my original post. I've done the searches. I'm asking members for personal recipes and methods as well.

To all that provided info I offer a hearty Thank You.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So much for trying

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Just canned about 5 pounds of pork today (it was salted and seasoned yesterday):

Result - I already eaten one jar :-)

I use All American Canner 915. The funniest part was taking canner from USA to Europe Big Grin

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote