THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    I plan to Reverse-Sear Ribeyes Tomorrow. Any Thoughts?

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I plan to Reverse-Sear Ribeyes Tomorrow. Any Thoughts?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My plan is to start them in my smoker (stick burner) and finish (sear) them on my infrared grill.

I will probably go for "Medium". I'm guessing about an hour and a half in the smoker at 225F. I'll use probes and pull them at around 125-130F. Then wrap. Sear them when our guests show-up.

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That sounds like they should be perfect. Kinda like a smoker sous vide.

quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
My plan is to start them in my smoker (stick burner) and finish (sear) them on my infrared grill.

I will probably go for "Medium". I'm guessing about an hour and a half in the smoker at 225F. I'll use probes and pull them at around 125-130F. Then wrap. Sear them when our guests show-up.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
Well? How did it work out?

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The results were excellent, but it was a lot of trouble.

This is what I did:

Prepped with my favorite dry rub. Overnight in the refrigerator; wrapped.

Did a poorboy dry-brine, by adding SPG (Salt-Pepper-Garlic) and left the meat uncovered in the refrigerator overnight.

Next day set the meat out while firing up the smoker (stick burner) and bringing it to 250.

Placed the meat (50 degrees) on the top rack with probes set for 135 (Medium Rare) and 145 (Medium). (I had three people wanting Medium and one Medium Rare.)

After thirty minutes I noticed the meat temps were coming up much faster that expected. So after thirty minutes I stopped and wrapped the steaks in foil.

After another thirty minutes the Medium Rare was ready to come off. Followed by the Mediums in another 15 minutes.

I let the steaks rest in the foil.

When all the sides were ready and the guests had arrived and relaxed with wine, crab dip and foie gras we bought in Paris last year. We were ready for the sear.

I lit the infrared grill and set it on HIGH. Each steak was given a one minute sear on each side.

The results were very nice. In retrospect I think I would pull them off the smoker five degrees sooner, but they were tender as could be.

I don't think I will use that process for less than four steaks, but for more than that, I'm sold.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The steaks were originally about 1 3/4" thick, maybe a little thin. I would also like to try bone-in next time I do this.

One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
Sounds Great!!
Definitely pull 5-10 degrees early if you rest the meat and then sear that hot. It is crazy how much of a time difference pulling the meat from the fridge and letting it sit out makes.
I stick smoke everything. Try red wine oak barrel staves for a different flavor. Not strong, just different. I want to make some thick cut tomahawk steaks one day using your method.

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sounds very yummy! tu2

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I want to do the sous vide and deep fry method.
vacuum seal the steaks in the herbs and spices for a day then sous vide and a few min in the cast iron hot oil and voila! Perfectly cooked and maillard reaction all around.
French/Redneck cuisine
A lot less fuss and mess to clean.
If a deep fried steak seems strange, look on you tube. You could also do a fancy deep fry with an infused butter baste fry like they do in the fancy restaurants but it is pretty much a deep fry with less fat covering the steak.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
How did I miss this thread? Ken, DUDE, crab dip and foie gras?

beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW - It's a lot easier to control meat temp by doing it the other way round. Sear first, finish on grill/smoker.

I use a cast iron skillet on the side burner and heat it to 700'ish degrees. Sear whatever you want and then let it rest and wait for the heat to permeate the meat. Then cook to desired internal temp. You have total control with this process.

If you sear after cooking, then you're guessing how much additional heat you're putting into the meat. Medium rare can quickly become well done.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill

For our 25th anniversary last year we cruised from Amsterdam to Monte Carlo with 19 Stops / Shore Excursions. Just a stunning pre-Covid adventure. In Paris we had lunch at a wonderful cafe. https://comptoirdelagastronomie.com/en/home/

The service, food, and hospitality was impeccable. https://comptoirdelagastronomi...m/en/the-restaurant/

We bought four cans of foie gras and then the pandemic hit. We stopped having friends over. Last Saturday we decided it was time to splurge. (The Crab Dip came from the local meat market. An impulse buy when we bought the ribeyes.)

Personally, I thought I would not like foie gras, but we were in Paris about five years ago, and discovered I was wrong, very wrong.

I like the thought process Opus1 describes. It make sense. I'm going to try that the next time.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ken, you are a sophisticated world traveler compared to lil ol me.
I have to admit when it comes to beef's best cuts, I pan-sear and oven finish. Never disappointed. I usually pull the fillets at 120-ish and tent and rest. Always please.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill, I tend to do mine in reverse. I put the baked potatoes in the oven at 350 for 1 hr 50 min, then put the steak in for 10 min.w/ some Worchester sauce + lemon pepper, then take out + pan sear after the fact. I love my steaks rare.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/STwk5YOSJGQ

quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
I want to do the sous vide and deep fry method.
vacuum seal the steaks in the herbs and spices for a day then sous vide and a few min in the cast iron hot oil and voila! Perfectly cooked and maillard reaction all around.
French/Redneck cuisine
A lot less fuss and mess to clean.
If a deep fried steak seems strange, look on you tube. You could also do a fancy deep fry with an infused butter baste fry like they do in the fancy restaurants but it is pretty much a deep fry with less fat covering the steak.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the Opus1 approach on two 1 1/2" beef tenderloins tonight.

1. I prepped with Suckle Busters SPG rub six (6) hours before cooking.
2. I built the fire (wood burner) up to 250 degrees.
3. On my infrared grill, I seared each side for a minute and a half. (Next time I'll do two minutes each.)
4. I put them on the smoker for fifteen (15) minutes, unwrapped. I didn't want too much smoke.
5. I wrapped them in foil and put a temp. probe in each steak.
6. In 30 minutes they came to 150 (medium). (I'll go to 155 next time.)
7. I pulled them off the smoker and let them rest fifteen minutes.

They had very clean grill marks from the sear, a nice mahogany hue, pink/medium throughout, and wonderfully tender. (I'm stealing Opus1's technique.)

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I did 3 ribeyes in the smoker a couple weeks back. I didn't end up caring for it. I did an hour. I don't recommend that much time.

Rib eyes and tenderloins are better cooked in straight butter in a pan or on an open fire.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote