Find
Notify
Tools

Black Forest ham - wild boar
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted
My friend gave me some samples his friend in Austria gave him (made from wild boar venison). After I found that it is really delicious I asked for spice a recipe.

I used two pieces of pork and four pieces of wild boar venison. Just rub in salt with cure and spice. I used 28 g of salt with cure and 10 g of spice mixture per 1 kg of venison. I like vacuum packing because of easy handling and microbiological safety.

Just rubbed in salt and spice, vacuum packed:

After 3 weeks I removed from packs, wash salt out with cold water, dry by towel and in open oven just with fan and almost none heating:

After that I put into Helia Smoker for 3 days for cold smoking. It means I will put new sawdust and generate smoke each day. This is after about first 24 hours:

Sawdust mixture I use:
10 g of coarser beech
10 g of finer spruce
3 g of crushed juniper berries

Wild boar venison is on upper rack, pork meat on lower one.

I will keep you updated.

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All right, let me stop you right there. For starters; is there anything called "wild boar venison"? Venison is deer meat. I'll let you get by calling elk and antelope venison. But I'm not letting you get by calling something, wild boar venison. Wild boar is wild pork. OK, carry on.

Signed, the Venison Sheriff.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
rotflmo jumping rotflmo

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
All right, let me stop you right there. For starters; is there anything called "wild boar venison"? Venison is deer meat. I'll let you get by calling elk and antelope venison. But I'm not letting you get by calling something, wild boar venison. Wild boar is wild pork. OK, carry on.

Signed, the Venison Sheriff.

Venison originally meant the meat of a game animal but now refers primarily to the meat of elk, deer, or antelope (in South Africa).

Hog (feral pig) meat is just meat. Wild boar meat is venison ;-)

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wild boar meat is venison ;-)

Oh, you're going to hell for that Jiri. Spread'em! Hands up against the wall! Consider yourself arrested.

The Venison Sheriff.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Wild boar meat is venison ;-)

Oh, you're going to hell for that Jiri. Spread'em! Hands up against the wall! Consider yourself arrested.

The Venison Sheriff.

And hare meat is venison too ;-)

(Venison originally described meat of any game animal killed by hunting and was applied to any animal from the families Cervidae (deer), Leporidae (hares), Suidae (wild pigs), and certain species of the genus Capra (goats and ibex).

In Southern Africa, the word venison refers to the meat of antelope, as there are no native Cervidae in sub-Saharan Africa.)

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
After 3 days of cold smoking vacuum packed into dedicated "aging bags". After vacuum packing it is placed in hot water for 5 seconds to get bag shrunk around meat. Now it will settle in the fridge for a while.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have to let you go (lack of clear evidence) even though I'm pretty sure you posted that definition of venison on Wikipedia yourself.

Setting that aside; your preparation and process looks interesting....and that meat, whatever that meat is, looks yummy.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
While calling a hog a deer doesn't make it so, Mox-Nix! Your roasts look fantastic.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm going to have to let you go (lack of clear evidence) even though I'm pretty sure you posted that definition of venison on Wikipedia yourself.

Setting that aside; your preparation and process looks interesting....and that meat, whatever that meat is, looks yummy.

Honestly I don't have a clue what is called venison in your country and what is not. Definition on Wikipedia is not mine.

In our country we call maybe all meat from game "venison". We can ask German or Austrian friends too.

BTW Preparation and process is long, but easy and not much work at all.

Hope it will turn out good.

Jiri

one of us
posted Hide Post
I ran into another controversy twenty-six years ago when I met my wife in Venezuela. She referred to "meat" as anything that wasn't fish or vegetable. She might mention that she was going to go to the store and buy "meat" for dinner. Like a dumb-ass I would ask, "What kind of meat?". Her answer would usually be, "MEAT!", like I was deaf or something.

It took about twenty-five years, but I kinda saw her point. Normally if she were to say she was going to buy "fish" for dinner, there would be no follow-up question on my part. I would just shrug my shoulders and move on.

Back to your recipe. Does the end product turn out tender to where you can cut it with a fork, or, how would you describe the consistency of the meat/pork/venison?

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
End product should be "Tyrolean speck".

Or something like that, but using wild boar "thing" instead of pork.

https://youtu.be/9gH20H-JsEU

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tyrolean speck

I learned something new right there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrolean_Speck Never heard of it before.

Sounds fantastic. When you get done, can you make a reply on this forum by rubbing the surface of the meat, then rubbing your post (computer screen), so we can at least smell Tyrolean Speck?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kinda reminiscent of the old "Scratch + Sniff"?

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I tried it after only one week of aging. It definitely needs more, but is good now too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It definitely needs more

based on what, the flavor, the tenderness? looks damn good. (I can almost smell it.)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jiri, you do good work.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
It definitely needs more

based on what, the flavor, the tenderness? looks damn good. (I can almost smell it.)

It needs to loose some more water to get firmer and develop more "fermented" taste.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You're making wild boar moonshine aren't you!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now THAT'S an interesting concept! Wink

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're making wild boar moonshine aren't you!

Yes, venison moonshine ;-)

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Veniskey?

Fermented = flavor.

Just had some deep-fried bread dough with eggs, cheese and onions. The fermented starter dough we used is about 9 months old now.
Thanks Jiri. Sounds and looks delicious.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote