New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seared Tenderloin
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This has probably been discussed before, but searing tenderloin has become my mainstay during my pandemic holiday. Unfortunately, it is cow here, but I use the same technique on game tenderloin. The only difference is I generally marinate game for a few days in the fridge.

The process is simple enough. Heat a heavy black skillet to about 500 degrees +/- an inferred temp gun works well for this. I use a fish fryer burner to make quick work for the heating. After trimming, coat with Avocado oil for high temperature cooking, coat with Montreal seasoning, and let the searing begin. Simply turn as you get the desired char and remove.

I let the tenderloin rest for a few minutes to allow the heat to penetrate so that I don’t over cook or dry out the meat. Paper wrapping will keep the moisture in. And then it’s onto the grill/smoker at 250 to hit an internal of 125 or so - I use a wireless thermometer. I prefer rare to medium rare and by the time the meat rests, it’s a perfect rare in the middle and a touch more done on the ends.

With all the smoke, it’s probably best to sear outdoors. Eeker

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
YUM! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried a method used by the chef Alton Brown. It uses a charcoal starter chimney. Put a couple of crumpled sheets of newsprint in the bottom and fill with lump charcoal. Light and burn for 15 minutes. Put your prepared filet on your BBQ grill grate. Shake the chimney to loosen ash, then place the chimney over the meat. Go 3 minutes, lift the chimney and turn. Then go 3 more minutes. Usually yields a perfect med rare with substantial crust. Claimed to be 1,000 F!

Posts: 3667 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alton does a good version of the skillet sear using the stove top and oven. I use pretty much use the same process just outdoors.

I have been watching his Covid lockdown series on YouTube with he and his wife in his home kitchen. Funny stuff.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do a similar approach on my outdoor infrared gas grill. (A good piece of tenderloin is everything.) I turn it to HIGH and let the grill get cherry-red.

My wife usually uses olive oil. (Avocado oil is a good thought.) Then she uses black pepper and a little salt. If she's not looking, I usually coat the tenderloin with a light dusting of dry rub.

When it goes on the grill, I start with one minute on each side, then two minutes on each side, then three minutes on each side. It is then medium rare on my grill. (That is for a tenderloin that is say 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" thick.)

The better the piece of meat, of course, the better the end product.

I have no luck trying to grill a wild hog loin (backstrap). I can never get it tender enough. (We either slow cook it, smoke it, or add it to the sausage.)

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to try Avocado oil. EVO will leave a burned oil taste on meat if used on high heat, at least that's what I have found.

Wild pig/warthog do not do well grilling as there is generally not a lot of fat to keep the meat tender. I marinate for a few days and then smoke or sloooooow cook.

But I've had good luck with all other African game meat by searing and slow cooking to finish. My construction manager on the other hand simply tosses his game meat on top of coals. He says if it was good enough for cavemen, who is he to argue. Not my preferred style of cooking but it eats well enough. But he has discovered the benefits of the Cookshack smoker and is apparently wearing it out.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
FWIW to everyone out there concerning beef prices. I was just on the phone with a buddy o mine outside of Omaha who has a pretty substantial ranch operation (we're talking 30 K head plus at any given time.) The price of calves now was going for $1.00 an lb. but the processers are charging $13.00. That is why you are seeing the prices in the meat market. Once again the farmer/ rancher gets it in the shorts. He said they are selling their calves for 1/2 of what they sold for last year. The processors don't seem to be hurting though.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope the price gouging investigation into the meat packers will net some results. There is no question who is responsible for the ridiculous price increases.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I feel the same. Anyone that price gouges during a period of potential disaster conditions (or anytime really) should be held accountable. He also said that in Omaha that hamburger at the stores was going for over $7.00 a lb.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
faint