New
Find
Notify
Tools

bean HELP needed ASAP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
gonna soak a pound of beans overnight and cook tomorrow. i am highly allergic to any kind of chili type spices. highly! she brought a 6 " jalapeno, says throwing it in the soaking pot will only give the beans flavor but will not spice em up, as long as its not cut up. personally i think shes trying to kill me off for the insurance money. anyone done this before?

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
I say don't do it.
The capsaicin (I assume this is the allergen) will "leach" out of the peppers.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Damned right it will. Don't do it, John. just let everyone season their own bowl. I guess you can't use my bean recipe then as it does include chili powder?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i knew it!! shes trying to off me via the blow hole. thanks guys

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Don’t do it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66753 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yea, the chili BS is over. i read you guys opinions and she said well i still think its ok but.....so the chili went bye bye
shes the kind of person that logic means nothing. or reason etc. drives me and the kids/grandkids nuts. then she hooked up a few years with a gal pal thats 10x worse and the fed off each other. gal pal bit the big one 3 years ago so thats over with.
in the 80s i found out the very hard way that overnight i was extremely allergic to hot spices and alcohol. i mean drink a beer, eat a hot dish, and next day on the floor in agony from lower guts. hard to describe it was so bad. every year after that i'd drink a half beer to see if still allergic. around 2015 it went away, but still same for the spices. i was, as part of my job, a chemical agent instructor for 10 years, plus used em a lot for real. the gas wasn't bad but the capsaicin spray would cause my lily white skin to blister, most times, if i didn't get it off fast enough. everytime i got sprayed in the face i looked like i was spray painted red. growing up i had to have a jalapeno with almost every meal. no mas!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Szechuan peppercorns are not a capsicum pepper they could be a good substitute. You could also use mustards and mustard powders, just make sure that these don't contain paprika as some brands do.
You could also use ginger, horseradish, cumin and turmeric plus a lot of fresh garlic to spice things up.
coues
ds

Posts: 336 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i used Aaron Franklins recipe from his book Franklin Barbeque. he says it his second most requested recipe, his first being how to cook a brisket of course. his seasoning to soak/cook the beans in has chili powder (NO), kosher salt, black pepper,onion powder,garlic powder, cumin, chopped onions. then add brisket bark and meat when cooking.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the same combo allergy. My pain is in the diaphragm area and into the chest cavity. My dad had the same problem. Try using paprika or smoked paprika in place of the chili. Add some cumin and you can get a nice mild chili without spicy heat. Beans don't need anything in the soaking water with the exception of a teaspoon of baking soda. Drain off the soaking water and discard. The other factor is using too much tomato. A large can of diced tomatoes is plenty. Don't add sauce or paste. Also using Vidallia onions in place of yellow onions will ease your stomach pains. Saute them before adding to the chili.

quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
yea, the chili BS is over. i read you guys opinions and she said well i still think its ok but.....so the chili went bye bye
shes the kind of person that logic means nothing. or reason etc. drives me and the kids/grandkids nuts. then she hooked up a few years with a gal pal thats 10x worse and the fed off each other. gal pal bit the big one 3 years ago so thats over with.
in the 80s i found out the very hard way that overnight i was extremely allergic to hot spices and alcohol. i mean drink a beer, eat a hot dish, and next day on the floor in agony from lower guts. hard to describe it was so bad. every year after that i'd drink a half beer to see if still allergic. around 2015 it went away, but still same for the spices. i was, as part of my job, a chemical agent instructor for 10 years, plus used em a lot for real. the gas wasn't bad but the capsaicin spray would cause my lily white skin to blister, most times, if i didn't get it off fast enough. everytime i got sprayed in the face i looked like i was spray painted red. growing up i had to have a jalapeno with almost every meal. no mas!

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have eaten jalapenos all my life but a few years ago they started to hurt my stomach the following day. Much as I still love the taste, the morning after is not worth it. I'm just grateful that I ate my share when I was young. Now chili powder is no problem.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok, results are in. for those of you that have Franklins book and want to try his bean recipe i have suggestions. first of all, his recipe for the seasoning makes 2 cups BUT when you read carefully the soaking instructions call for using only 1/2 cup seasoning. i caught it just in time. the beans were great but had a tad too much pepper and way too much salt. 6 of us all agreed on the salt, i'm the only complainer about the pepper. this is for one pound of beans. and as i'm typing this the house is being aired out.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I salt towards the end. Nothing quite ruins a meal like over salting. I find using salt at the end also means using less of it. Also using finishing salt when you serve it adds some more flavor complexity. I use pink Himalayan salt for this but definitely not iodized salt.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im a dyed in the wool chili head, so I assure if you put a chili in hot boiling water it will change the chili greatly..in overnight cold water Id tend to think it would just float and chang nothing but at any rate no since in doing it..

Id add a 3x4 piece of salt pork cut into squares of any size, add two spoons of powdered beef bulyon, salt to taste, a head of fresh chopped cilantro and 5 garlic pounded flat, juice of one lime, onions cut in chunks, just avoid any chili..I add two cans of chili (Herdez) and 4 Jalapeanos whole, but you leave that out...

Some times I add ground hamburger to the pot and it makes a sort of chilii con carne, sorta and it really good with crackers or flour tortillas..and mashed up in cornbread is an option also.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cornbread is a staple with chili. The other option that is good as well is spoonbread; the same recipe as cornbread but adding a can of creamed corn + grated cheddar before baking. (don't forget the spices!)