Find
Notify
Tools

Other seasonings
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Here is something I cannot describe in words to any of you for flavor. Truffle salt. I've tried several and like this particular brand the best. It's good on anything and apparently many like it on popcorn which I have not tried yet.

The scent is also intoxicating. When I use a pinch on food I have to lick my fingers too. It'd right up there in importance as garlic.

Anyone else tried truffle salts or other truffle based seasonings?

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Ann, I've never even heard of it but it must be good if you categorize it up there with garlic! Smiler

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never seen it in a local supermarket but that doesn't surprise me since it is real small town here. Some years ago I had it at a much more trendy friend's house and was hooked. I don't put it on everything as it is very spendy stuff. I have to order off the 'Net.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Truffle salt goes well on french fries, truffle infused olive oil is also a good thing to have around.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim@IMReps:
Truffle salt goes well on french fries, truffle infused olive oil is also a good thing to have around.

Jim, I just saw an advertisement locally for a European grocery located in the 'city', hour away, for a truffle and caviar concoction. This image is off facebook so it won't post for very long but I am going to get some of this stuff.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann you are so independent you should see if you can source white or black truffle spores, if they are even available, and cultivate them on your property. A relative of ours sourced some mushroom spore kits for Chanterelles and a couple of other varieties that I don't recall, I do remember being impressed when the shrooms he grew were ready to be harvested.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, if I knew inoculating would work here I would do it but our summers are very dry and the ground is rock and red clay. Not a lot of stuff likes it as far as fungi go.

I do cultivate shiitake on oak from the property with decent success.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Understood, our kinfolk live in western NC where there is a fair amount of rain but he bored holes in some left over logs from his woodpile and used those for his shrooms

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, do you have a link where this can be ordered online? I've never seen this in local stores + it sure seems like something I want to try.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, I order it off amazon. I have tried some other brands but like this one the best. Also, it comes in a glass jar. Many of the others are in plastic. I do not care for that.

https://www.amazon.com/Selezio...ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_5_t

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, thanks for the link. I ordered a jar. Out of stock but should be delivered by the end of the month. Free shipping too as I have Amazon Prime. I'm looking forward to trying it. Thanks again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me know what you think of it.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
caviar and black truffles, both acquired tastes and two excellent stand alone culinary mediums, how they actually compliment one another when combined is a worthy endeavor, please share your conclusions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, I picked some of the caviar mixture up yesterday. Near the end of October I gather with several friends for our annual Hen of the Woods roundup days. We will delve into this item then.

That said, the market that sells this stuff, while very small, had a curious collection of mostly eastern European foods. Even some Russian sausage of the smoked looking type. I bought a big container of sheep feta and a package of saffron from Georgia (not the US Georgia).

From there I went to one of the Asian groceries and stocked up on some dried mushrooms. They sure have some crazy stuff in those stores.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They certainly do!!! One of our main streets in Austin is Lamar Blvd. + the north side has gone into a little Chinatown. Right next to little Mexico so you can just imagine the gang element . Used to be a great neighborhood. Anyway, you're right, they have a lot of odd (to us, but Hell, it is still America, right?) products that I have never imagined but on occasion, I will shop there for some abstract chink food ( I know,I know, the ugly American) + some of their very fine china ware porcelain. And it's dirt cheap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am adventurous and enjoy trying new stuff so I love going to these weird little stores. Big Grin

~Ann

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ann, I am going to try the truffle salt as well. Thank you in advance.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, good for you! I think most people would find the flavor nothing short of intriguing.

It's certainly NOT 'mushroom' like most people might imagine. Far different.

That said, Hen of the Woods season will be in my area soon. This is a super nice fungi. Those in the north are harvesting now. My 'peeps' do an annual weekend near the end of October just for this species.

I honestly wish there were decent truffles to be found around here. I have very little experience with them and the truffle salt mix sure makes me curious.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know when I ordered my truffle salt from Amazon they had that pop up about people who bought this also bought this, etc. I may try out their other suggestions in the future; + I agree with you that any product in a glass jar is preferable to plastic.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Truffles . . .Truffles . . .Truffles

I keep reading and watching shows about truffles and so may just have to buy some of his salt to see what this Truffle talk is all about.

Watch, now when I do this they will be out with no back order.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Truffles . . .Truffles . . .Truffles

I keep reading and watching shows about truffles and so may just have to buy some of his salt to see what this Truffle talk is all about.

Watch, now when I do this they will be out with no back order.

It's imported so it does kind of come and go for being in stock but they always replenish.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Truffle salt arrived today, anxious to try it out!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I don't know what happened, I used to be a fan of things like truffles and garlic.

Now I won't eat anything that "loud" past 1200 Lunch, and in very limited moderation.

I used to buy a lot of meet seasonings from a place called the Meat Church, but I have gone back to doing my own thing.

Saying that I was given some ribs with jalapeno jam on them during the last part of the smoke.

Sweet Enola Gay! damn good!

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know. I have eaten jalapenos like candy all my life + still use them to make + can my salsa but anymore I can't eat them. Well, I can but the next day it kills my stomach. Funny because I love + use Tabasco + it never bothers me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
jalapeno jam

Would like to know what this is, does this come premade, it is sweet/savory?

I have a cilantro/jalepeno salsa recipe that is righteous and great on a lot of things, mainly tacos, but isn't hot because the seeds and veins are removed beforehand.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True. I still make jalapeno 'poppers' by removing the seeds from the big peppers, stuffing them with cream cheese, wrapping them with bacon + either grill or bake; both ways work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only grow/use mild jalapenos. I can't do 'heat' at all.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim@IMReps:
quote:
jalapeno jam

Would like to know what this is, does this come premade, it is sweet/savory?

I have a cilantro/jalepeno salsa recipe that is righteous and great on a lot of things, mainly tacos, but isn't hot because the seeds and veins are removed beforehand.

Sweet and spicy!

Cilantro I am allergic to.

Taste like soap to me.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's really a shame. You have to use fresh cilantro to make good salsa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not in most of New Mexico, cilantro is a good way to get shot by actual New Mexicans.

All the Mexico transplants will feed you cilantro though.

I live 18 miles from the Rio Grande, and 50 miles from Hatch.

The only place cilantro would be normal would be in Santa Fe, or maybe in a Texas/transplant Mexican food truck. I reckon if they have things like tortas they generally don't have New Mexican food.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't know anything about New Mexico cooking, but I do know about Tex-Mex; I just assumed they were similar. But then again the difference between here + Old Mexico is vast.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grow cilantro by the ton practically. It does not like hot weather though. Reseeds itself and is no work for me. It's just not generally available in the garden when it is time to make pico or salsa.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Well, I don't know anything about New Mexico cooking, but I do know about Tex-Mex; I just assumed they were similar. But then again the difference between here + Old Mexico is vast.

Classically from the Camino Real period until the weirdos moved into Santa Fe there was no Cilantro.

Someone from China gave some Cilantro to someone in Mexico or California and it ran like wild fire, now people think it belongs in Mexican food.

The chilies were really what made New Mexican food special.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well, the introduction of plants + spices has a long history. Consider that only 300-400 years ago tomatoes were considered inedible as they are of the nightshade family. Witches got burned for having them in their gardens. I have a preacher friend that has theory that tortillas were designed by the Jews fleeing the inquisition when coming to the new world but hiding their pasover tradition of unleavened bread. Perhaps, but I kinda dought that

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do agree that the chilies are an essential part of Mexican (sic) cooking. As an old friend who grew up on the west side (Mexican) of San Antonio once said, "It's hard to learn to play the guitar if you don't have a guitar". Point being that one needs the essentials (chilies) before experimenting yourself + an elderly Mamasita is a great move in the right direction. They have forgotten more than we'll ever know about making killer Manudo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have eaten tortillas all over the world. The recipe slightly changes, but almost 1/3rd of the world has some sort of flat bread to put food on. Dubai was the first place I realized that everyone was eating tortillas and calling them their local name.

I have had whatever the local word is for a similar concept in Norway, Turkey, UAE, Mexico, Greece and in Afghanistan. The idea must be a fairly old one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, there's a natural food store here that sells this tortilla (by whatever name) filled falafels that are middle eastern + really good eating, especially with a spicy dip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife loves falfels.

I am not really a fan.

There was a schwarama/gyro/kebab place in Australia that was the best I had ever eaten until I moved to Germany.

They had that type of food nailed down.

Seems like every 3rd block there was one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Theres a lot of good eating out there if one is open minded to other cultures + recipes. I was young when I encountered escargo in France before I had a chance to develop a negativity to something that I had never tried (which a lot of folks do) I still remember my mother cringing when we went to a roadside black BBQ + I ate a ton of chitlins w/ hot sauce + loved every bite.