Find
Notify
Tools

new b b q machine
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I like to do a high smoke point oil spice paste to rub in the ribs before I sear them and then the low and slow tinfoil pouch and maybe sauce and higher temp uncovered for a half hour to thicken the sauce to get that moisture and texture you require.

quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
well, the verdicts in. for MY taste, they were a little too dry. these were not the juice dripping down your chin ribs. they were the lots of damn tasty bark (crust) and good smoked to the bone ribs. so for a texas style rack of ribs everyone gave em a 98 out of 100. i gave em a 89. my son used to cook for the grist mill, outback and a few other meat places and rated it 98 as did the wife. i think a different cut (?) of rib other than a baby back which these were would have more marbling and been a more juicy rib. but they'll make a turd for sure.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Growing up in Memphis around a lot of great BBQ and competition cookers, I still prefer dry rub ribs. A water tray and moist heat is the only way to keeping them from drying out without a lot of basting.

I have not tried ribs on the Masterbuilt but I am sure it can easily be done. But after I bought a Cookshake with a rib rack, I would have a very difficult time cooking them any other way. It is goof-proof and the ribs are moist every time. The Cookshack is like cheating it's so simple.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John, here is Aaron's book.

https://www.amazon.com/Frankli...-Aaron/dp/1607747200

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16347 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
got it on order. thanks

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
https://youtu.be/xyECHczU4x4

Watch these videos...there is a great upgrade package for the masterbuilt and a water tray to keep it moist inside as well.

https://youtu.be/_wfmcTeqCFI

quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Forced air/convection smokers/cookers will do that. They require a lot of basting and moisture.

the top link was pretty good. i don't know what was worse on the bottom u tube link the music or the guy struggling to speak. was like listening to joe biden trying to explain how he can eat with a fork. if he can! however, the links shown to the businesses that make the mods was worth it. thanks

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I need that book

quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
John, here is Aaron's book.

https://www.amazon.com/Frankli...-Aaron/dp/1607747200

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://barbecuebible.com/book...anniversary-edition/

Anyone have this book?

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Boomie, no. The ones I have are "Franklin Barbecue," "Meathead," "Peace Love and Barbecue," "Smokestack Lightning," "Smokin' in the Boys Room" and "Holy Smoke." The first three titles are my favorites.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16347 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I am wondering which cooks better. I can’t see needing to cook something larger than a pork belly or two tri tips or 4 racks of ribs or one large turkey. Would the larger one cook a large turkey better?

a whole turkey? big one? probably. i'll measure the distance from grill top to warmer wires tomorrow.

ok...taking the 2 "warming racks" out (they just slide right out) gives you approx 16" height and 28" width inside on the 1050

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Man, this gravity-feed charcoal grill business is weighing on me. Just can't get anywhere near that flavor on a gasser with smoke tube.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok, heres the update and i can't explain it but here it is.....getting to the meat of the problem (i expect brownie points for that one), there was way too many ribs left over so into the fridge they went. everytime we microwave a few for 30 seconds, they get juicer and more tender and become the "fall off the bone" tender juicy ribs i wanted. like me, they just get better with age.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Man, this gravity-feed charcoal grill business is weighing on me. Just can't get anywhere near that flavor on a gasser with smoke tube.

its like this. you can get one now and kick ur ass for not getting one sooner, or get one later and kick ur ass for not getting one now. also, i don't use the charcoal briquettes in mine. i feed it ROYAL OAK HARDWOOD LUMP charcoal, and i add a small chunk of mesquite wood ever so often.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John, that's some very fine advice.
And I have mesquite chunks at hand that I paid a high price in blood for.
hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
By modifying the charcoal screen hole size and only putting enough charcoal that you need for the job that seems to have made the vertical stack BBQ more efficient.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Did you cook the ribs long enough or let them rest long enough? Adding a water source inside and the other aforementioned items may make a difference.

quote:
ok, heres the update and i can't explain it but here it is.....getting to the meat of the problem (i expect brownie points for that one), there was way too many ribs left over so into the fridge they went. everytime we microwave a few for 30 seconds, they get juicer and more tender and become the "fall off the bone" tender juicy ribs i wanted. like me, they just get better with age.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
BBQ is a conundrum...
The more you eat, the better life is.
The more you eat, the shorter life is.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Thanks
Sounds like I “need” a 1050
Darn Wink

quote:
quote:
quote:
I am wondering which cooks better. I can’t see needing to cook something larger than a pork belly or two tri tips or 4 racks of ribs or one large turkey. Would the larger one cook a large turkey better?

a whole turkey? big one? probably. i'll measure the distance from grill top to warmer wires tomorrow.

ok...taking the 2 "warming racks" out (they just slide right out) gives you approx 16" height and 28" width inside on the 1050

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
By modifying the charcoal screen hole size and only putting enough charcoal that you need for the job that seems to have made the vertical stack BBQ more efficient.

not sure what you mean by all that but in practice you fill the whole chimney to the top then fire it off and if you need to add more you simply dump more into it. when you finish you slide two flat plates of metal in their slots to cut off the air flow so the fire goes out and you can use the unburned charcoal for the next time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you cook the ribs long enough or let them rest long enough? Adding a water source inside and the other aforementioned items may make a difference.

quote:

i did not add water or baste but i have ordered some mods and one of them is a water tray. did let them rest for 20 minutes. next time it will be longer. the brisket i rested for about 3 hours or so.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

not sure what you mean by all that but in practice you fill the whole chimney to the top then fire it off and if you need to add more you simply dump more into it. when you finish you slide two flat plates of metal in their slots to cut off the air flow so the fire goes out and you can use the unburned charcoal for the next time.

watching a few reviews they mentioned that some unburned coals were dropping into the ash bin so not being as efficient as it could be but adding a few metal pieces lessened the waste and he mentioned in one video that if say if you just wanted to do some veggies real quick you could add only the amount needed to cook the veggies and not lose coals by letting the partially used coals burn up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ah, ok. he's right. when using either briquettes or hardwood lumps i do get some "waste" as per partial pieces falling through the grate at the bottom. i equate that with driving around for 10 minutes to find a gas station selling gas for 2 cents a gallon less than the others (my wife does that). since i live out in the country i just dump the ash bin on the ground where no one walks by the porch. maybe some day i'll give the grandkids a buck to go pick up the bigger pieces. or i'll take em to the range to shoot at ( the chunks, not the kids)! i estimate that out of one 8 lb bag i may be able to salvage 3 or 4 usable partial pieces.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I think if you are doing multiple separate smaller cooks, using only the amount needed could be the best way to make it more efficient. If you are primarily doing longer cooks then I would just keep topping off the hopper. This is not about saving money but about delicious food though. patriot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yea i agree, cost be damned (up to a point) when you can turn out stuff this good at home.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/SRpvmgRrGZg

At 12 min 30 sec he goes into the issues I mentioned.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Kinda lost some interest in this when it takes hundreds of bucks worth of mods to make a $500 smoker work like it should.
That said, I go back to John's killer brisket with the stock machine. It remains intriguing.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i agree. i have got a mod on the way in, a water bucket that will sit inside and add a lot of moisture to the meat, and a removeable "hood" that the drippings hit so it will clean up a lot easier. nowhere near $500 though.
i got the Franklin books in. one on b b q and one on steak. he loves to grill. never knew that. he states right up front that theres very few recipes in the books, but lots of how to's wherefores and whys etc. but theres plenty of recipes as far as i'm concerned. sure as hell is LOTS of ways to improve what i've been doing, methodology wise. its great cause when you get about half way through a chapter you start to think theres no way in hell i'm gonna remember all this stuff then boom, you turn the page and theres step 1 step 2 step 3 etc, with pics.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John, I didn't know he had a book on steak.
Yum!

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/Ks7Iv8O7f88
https://youtu.be/nL82hlORY-k
https://youtu.be/Cth5DBMlgWc

It’s all about the meat!
just have to factor in the whole cost with mods when you make your purchase. Maybe in a couple years Masterbuilt will have all the kinks worked out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Franklin kinda reminds me of Henry Ford who ate a hamburger everyday for lunch with his employees, or so the story goes. turns out HIS hamburger meat was ground steak! Franklin only buys meat from a select few ranchers that raise the animals the way he wants em to, and butchers em the way he wants. i guess when you average 160 briskets a day, and ribs, and sausage, and sides, you can call the shots.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
"Money Talks" has ALWAYS been the way to get what you want ahead of the proletariat.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well, I have Aaron's book on the way, even if I can't afford the steaks!
hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/LbzEa_juegs

Spend a few hours and get lost in Franklin’s youtube channel tu2

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Discovered Aaron's Youtubes 5 or 6 years ago. Good dang stuff.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Y’all seen this one?
https://youtu.be/sQNTIpfoIro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
watched it last night. that boy is OBSESSED with getting everything just so. guess thats why hes got people standing in line for 4 hours to et his b b q!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
John, eagerly awaiting your report. I, too, put a lot of stock in Aaron's Youtubes, and also have his book.
Opus, at the price points, I hope those Cookshacks are workin' for ya!

I've used my cookshack for about fifteen years without a hiccup one!

No charcoal. A few hands full of mesquite chunks go play for a few hours and great brisket!

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cookshacks rock. But I do like using a gravity feed smoker as well. Everyone should have both... Cool

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Cookshacks rock. But I do like using a gravity feed smoker as well. Everyone should have both... Cool

NO! NO! THEY SHOULDN'T!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I have Aaron's book on the way, even if I can't afford the steaks!
hilbily

when it comes in, look on page 214 and 215. tell me how cool that is!