Find
Notify
Tools

new b b q machine
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Um, John, the last two pages of the index? Am I missing something -- besides at least half of my wits?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Um, John, the last two pages of the index? Am I missing something -- besides at least half of my wits?

in my copy of FRANKLIN STEAK on pages 214 and 215 is a flow chart on how to cook 9 diff cuts of steaks, showing both outdoor grilling and indoor pan/oven cooking. you just choose the steak cut and follow the lines to the instructions box

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John, I'll be darned. That flow chart is the inside cover of my copy of "Franklin Steak." Is yours also a first edition, printed in China?

– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mine was printed 2019 by ten speed press in nyc

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well that's the difference. Tenspeed is the publisher. I bet the paper in my copy is inferior to yours.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ur book is a commie!

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I know. I am disappointed ... barf

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
get aholt a Hunter. he'll get you a copy signed by rocket boy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well hell. son shot a wild hog and brought me the ham and a shoulder. i googled it all and per instructions wrapped the ham at 165 deg then took it off at 190. still had a bit of pink against bone so put it back in for 20 minutes. now its dried out, no flavor. we cut it in thin slices and put em in tortillas with sauce. it'll make a turd but not a "good cook" at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, we smoke a lot of game meat in Namibia with a Cookshack. It holds the moisture better than a convection smoker obviously. But we still drape with bacon and wrap with paper during the later stages of cooking. The combo depends on amount of resident fat. With game meat, there is very little fat to help keep the meat from drying out so bacon and paper are your friends.

Injecting with butter would be another alternative but I generally don't inject.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
actually the ham had a big layer of fat on one side i left on. at 5 hours i wrapped it in tin foil, then pulled it off about an hour later and looked at it and there was a huge amount of juice it was sitting in, so i turned it over in the foil and put it back on. when i took it off for good i poured a lot juice out, and it was dry anyway. will try the bacon wrap next time and injection if there is a next time. my briskets and ribs have turned out so good i may just stay with that.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John, a man can survive on excellent brisket and ribs ...

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes! and a big side of mexican strawberries with onions and some burnt tips!

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
This business of burnt ends probably deserves a thread of its own ...

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote