New
Find
Notify
Tools

crock pot help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i know, its a sin not to b b q in texas but due to circumstances thats how it is for now. so....we put a wild pig roast into a large crockpot, added carrots, onions, celery, and according to my sons recipe, a cup of vinegar and a cup of mustard. tried some last night, tasted so much of vinegar it burned my throat and had heart burn. sons advice?? don't put in so much vinegar next time. if he wasn't so big and me so old i'd beat his ass. anyway, any SIMPLE recipes appreciated as we got 5 pigs in the freezer. thanks

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Way too much mustard and vinegar!

In a 6 qt + pressure cooker brown the roast on all sides. Add 3 cups chicken broth and one cup of a Southern tangy mustard-based BBQ sauce. Cook 1 hr on high pressure (15 psi).

De-pressurize and remove roast. Cover with aluminum foil and let cool enough to handle. While you are letting the roast cool separate the fat from the cooking liquid. Reduce cooking liquid by half in a saucepan and add another cup of BBQ sauce and 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar.

Once roast is cool pull apart into strings. Place this meat into a suitable baking dish. Wet with sauce you made. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes at 300 F. Serve remaining sauce on the side. You can roast your vegetables separately at the same time.

Enjoy!

Posts: 3665 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we need a receipe for it that we can turn on the CROCK POT and come back 8-10 hours later and its done. i know the title of the thread says pressure cooker but i meant to say CROCK POT. sorry, my bad!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you mentioned "pressure cooker". It gave me one more recipe for my dead goose. "STEP #3: Hit goose six times with pressure cooker to tenderize".

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
I'm glad you mentioned "pressure cooker". It gave me one more recipe for my dead goose. "STEP #3: Hit goose six times with pressure cooker to tenderize".

Best post you ever made Big Grin

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
What kind of vinegar did you use?
Replace some vinegar with orange juice.

quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
i know, its a sin not to b b q in texas but due to circumstances thats how it is for now. so....we put a wild pig roast into a large crockpot, added carrots, onions, celery, and according to my sons recipe, a cup of vinegar and a cup of mustard. tried some last night, tasted so much of vinegar it burned my throat and had heart burn. sons advice?? don't put in so much vinegar next time. if he wasn't so big and me so old i'd beat his ass. anyway, any SIMPLE recipes appreciated as we got 5 pigs in the freezer. thanks

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, substitute 8 hrs in slow cooker on high instead of pressure cooker. After pulling and saucing return to slow cooker for 2 hrs on low. You can also just cook it for 10 hrs on high and put up with the fat.

quote:
we need a receipe for it that we can turn on the CROCK POT and come back 8-10 hours later and its done. i know the title of the thread says pressure cooker but i meant to say CROCK POT. sorry, my bad!

Posts: 3665 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my wife is from west texas and the only thing she can cook good is enchilladas and tacos. her mom never made her learn to cook. the only reason we had a smoke alarm in the kitchen was to tell us dinner was ready. lots of times thats what actually happened.
few weeks ago she decided to try cooking a small pig roast in the crock pot and put in a WHOLE BOTTLE of b b q sauce. my son came over to eat that night and couldn't believe it, even knowing how she cooks. claims she read it on the net somewhere but now can't find it. uh huh. he told her it tasted like pure b b q sauce and she told him "well, just eat around it". hahaha. thats when he gave her his recipe of a cup of vinegar and a cup of mustard. its like the blind leading the blind around here. i really can't see why we can't just put some rub on the meat and add the veggies and leave. i mean its crock potting a pigs ass and shoulder, not fine tuning a brisket! HELP!!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I use a crockpot a lot; not as much as I did when my kids still lived with me. As to pressure cookers, I'm not sure if they still do it but several years ago you could take your pressure cooker into the County Extension agent + they would test + calibrate it for free.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

my wife says i'm the only one allowed to call her that and she requests your phone # and email addy so she can respond. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I cook all sorts of shit in a crockpot and have never ever added vinegar to the mix. Why would you do that?

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Vinegar adds flavor but also breaks down the tissue tenderizing the meat which is another good reason to cube your meat smaller before you shred it to lower the vinegar to do it’s work. I always use apple cider vinegar

One of Us
posted Hide Post
how much do u put in?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Depending on the recipe. I cook by sight and inspiration. A large crockpot making shredded pork butt/shoulder I would say a half cup to a cup of apple cider vinegar cooking for about 6 hours will take away any harsh flavor or acidic taste. Your first time just add a half cup and see how you like it. Remember to not add salt to a crock pot. That will make the meat tough. salt at the end after shredding if needed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
What kind of vinegar did you use?
Replace some vinegar with orange juice.

quote:

she used white vinegar

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
White vinegar is good for cleaning windows...
Try a good apple cider vinegar next time.
Here is my choice

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomstick, I agree. We use the Braggs vinegar on a lot of foods as well as taking a daily dose. It's good stuff.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Simplest recipe ever:

Clean a hog ham, throw it in the crock pot for 8-10 hrs depending on the size on low heat.

Take it out shred the meat add a bottle of barbecue sauce and serve, fantastic.

Posts: 1306 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simplicity sometimes is best. That recipe works for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, an addendum. When cooking the roast in the crockpot do it with a bottle of "Woody's BBQ concentrated Sauce". The flavor is out of this world.