New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dressing squirrels?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When dressing out a squirrel, is there any special glands or organs that need to be removed in a certain way? Also are there any parts that should be inspected as indications of an unhealthy animal?

As far as cooking, looks like you dress them, chop the feet and head off, and then cook them like a chicken? Any better way? Any particular spices that do them justice? Any preferred way of cooking?

Just asking at this point, I don't have one yet.

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a gland under each armpit that I remove. Looks like a glob of fat. I have never shot a sick squirrel.
Last time out camping I cooked a squirrel in foil. I cut it into pieces then rubbed it with olive oil and Lowrey's seasoned salt. Then I double wrapped it in foil. I raked some coals out of the fire and placed the package on them. The coals were low enough that you couldn't hear the squirrel sizzling hard. Left it there for about 4 hours - replenished the coals from time to time. You could smell it when it was done. The meat fell off the bone. Tasted just like chicken [Big Grin] . I think squirrels are an overlooked game meat. I like mine tender. Anytime I've breaded and fried them like chicken they came out tough. They need to be cooked slowly with some moisture.

[ 12-12-2002, 06:52: Message edited by: Max503 ]

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
My wife boils the meat off the bones and makes
a great pot pie,or else the picked meat goes in
spaghetti sauce.

Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, spaghetti sauce! good idea! or maybe a Squirrel Alfredo?

Thanks for the tip on the armpit glands.

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Bone 'em, marinate 'em, stir fry 'em. Lay 'em on a bed of rice. Darn good. For those who don't like squirrel, I tell them it is a mild turkey AND I give them a little kimchee to numb those taste buds!!! [Big Grin]

[ 12-13-2002, 09:04: Message edited by: Hobie ]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
we tryed this with the last batch of squirrels that we got cut the legs off of the body and boil them in salted water for a few minutes,drain them well now get out the deep fryer and deep fry for 7 to 10 minutes or until done,now with your favorite chicken wing sause in a pot with a lid shake the squirrel until covered with sause serve with blue cheese dressing and celery and carrot slices and ice cold beer and enjoy,my wife calls them hill billy buffalo wings

Posts: 262 | Location: pa | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
I have found that pre/par-boiling improves the end result.
I cut mine into peices and boil for about 8-10 minutes. Then you can do whatever you want... flour and fry or sautee and add any type of sauce...My girls claim that their tree climbing ability improves after eating eastern grey squirrel......
Hobie where you get Kimchee in the Valley of VA.

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Cook those tasty little rascals in a crock pot with carrots & those little taters (6 hours). Then thicken the (liquid for you Yankees) (gravy for the rest of us) [Big Grin] with a little corn starch. Home made biscuits & mashes potatoes & BAM! You gona hurt youself boy. [Big Grin]
 -

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote