Find
Notify
Tools

roast pork calypso
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
roast pork calypso

from time life's foods of the world - the cooking of the carribean islands (1970):

quote:
[jamaica's] colonial era was a time of contrast. while those who worked the fields lived on vegetables, the planters who owned the fields enjoyed a life style as elegant as any back home in europe. their plantations had huge kitchens and large household staffs, and they combined old world culinary traditions with the new world plenty to produce legend-inspiring meals. they served all the vegetables that their lands produced, but the keystones of their generous cuisines were the meats...raised on the plantations. and today, long after the opulence has gone, there remains a tradition of hearty eating and a treasure of fanciful meat recipes....

for the most part, only the legend remains. the balls, the splendid dinners, the clothes and furniture and paintings brought at huge cost from europe are no more. the legions of servants are gone. the greathouses that were a mark of the wealth of the 18th century planters have nearly all succombed to hurricanes, termites and the inexorable pressures of modern economics....

[in spite of this], the foods and flavours of the past are on everybody's tongue. in this part of the world...much that is connected with the past is disappearing. but when it comes to food, dishes that were once enjoyed only by the rich...are being revived, gradually forming a heritage for all who live on the islands.

for some reason, this one really called to me. maybe it was because i first read of it as we were coming out of a very long, very cold winter; or perhaps it was because i've always had an interest in history, and the complex, intertwined dynamics that were in play as the caribbean islands were settled by spain, france, england and the netherlands. maybe it was simply because i had also just finished reading james michener's caribbean. in any case, my interest in the area combined with time-life's delicious-looking recipe and beautiful picture of this dish, and i resolved to give it a try.

lots of step-by-step pictures and notes, so click here:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeb...alypso_topic305.html

and take a look-see at how easy it is to make this dish:

and take your dinner guests back in time to the glory days of old jamaica!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back when the snow was still flying, I prepared this dish again, pretty much as before, except for the fact that I used a boneless sirloin roast rather than a bone-in loin roast:

We served the roast pork with some simple mashed potatoes, to which I added a couple of envelopes of Sazón Goya con Culantro y Azafran:

They tasted great, and were appropriate for the dish; however, the colour, as you can see, was a little weird:

Having said that, I can strongly recommend this dish for anyone wishing to get a real taste of English Colonial Caribbean cuisine. I can't wait to try this sometime this summer, using the flavours highlighted as part of a profile for grilling or barbecue. This method produces an outstanding array of flavours, and I am willing to bet that, with a few small adaptations, it would be great for any number of variations, including ham, barbecued pork roast, pork ribs, or grilled pork chops.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
whoops - picture posting snafu in the post above, which is now fixed!