Find
Notify
Tools

Time for a batch of chile verde
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
You'll need a pork loin, a dozen or more roasted, skinned and seeded Hatch chiles, a couple of jalapeños if the Hatch aren't hot enough for you, a tablespoon of garlic granules, salt and pepper to taste and a half cup of Las Palmas red chile sauce.
Prepare your chiles and dice them up. Cube up the pork loin and brown. Toss everything into your slow cooker and let her go for four to six hours depending on how firm/shredded you like your pork. Great all by itself in a tortilla, over rice, or what have you. Makes an especially delicious breakfast burrito with eggs.

Here's the fun part, and yes it smells good at my house this morning:

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
YUM! tu2

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill,you're not missing Oregon one bit,are you? Best,Randy

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, I am missing nights that cool into the 50s, and my fishing, something awful. But New Mexico has its rewards!
This batch of chile verde is perfection. So darned simple and so darned good.

hilbily

– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Bill
The green recipe sounds good. will be trying it when I get back from NM.
Contrary to some folks opinions, the good thing about chile recipes is that there is no right or wrong one, just the one one likes better than some others.
Course garlic, cumino or cumin, oregano, onions make any recipe better tu2

I will have to say . . .
With the exception of maybe Gallup you are in a section of the state with the least possible fishing opportunities.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do mine pretty much the same except I use Las Palmas green sauce and throw in some Mexican oregano and cumin. Mucho muy bueno !

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TRUE,one can not cook without garlic, cumino,paprika,onions + peppers.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Guys, next batch I will add Mexican oregano and cumin. Love toasting that stuff. I got the recipe from a friend whose family had an original Spanish land grant in New Mexico dating to the 1600s.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A great recipe with the exception that I'd substitute beef for the pork.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Made a batch today as per your instructions. Only slow simmered, stovetop, 2 hours or so. Excellente !

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Ray,that's why they make Ford's + Chevy's. Vive la differance. Sounds good no matter the meat choice (the jury is out on spam however).

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Craigster, glad you liked it. Clearly, the recipe can be impvroved upon, but it is a good base and it freezes well, too.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of #1 of 13
posted Hide Post
Just found these Hatch chili’s at Fred Meyer in Anchorage .99 lb. Yum Yum

ZIMBABWE 2016
ZIMBABWE 2017
Zimbabwe 2019

Posts: 172 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NOthing in the world like Hatch Chile..Hatch chili in white gravy on biscuits if to kill for.

Chili of one kind or another is the life blood of all true Texans and Mexicans..I eat chili with every meal and with snacks, Vit C at its best and the reason Im 84..I just make 3 jars of Pico de Gallo today, hands are burning so can't pick my nose or rub my eyes for 3 or 4 days..It hotter'n hell, The hotter it is the more flavor it has by the way...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Boxhead et al.
That looks somewhat like my green chile venison stew.
I spoon mine over boiled potatoes and my wife prefers elbow pasta.
Cooked separately the clash of the green, starch and chile seems to be better.

Rolled up in a fresh made flour tortilla, over eggs or even ladled on some Indian fry bread to make a green chile Navajo Taco sounds pretty dang good to me right now

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Damn, #1 of 13 -- Hatch chiles in Anchorage, and at Freddy's! The joy just continues to spread!
Ray, I'll admit I am still working my way up the "caliente" scale. If you forget and rub your nose, plunge it into a glass of milk. Don't ask me how I know!
hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I was fixing supper for my boys + chopping up an onion. Well,the show on TV was a "Far Side Special". I got to laughing so hard my eyes watered;that was a mistake.After that the onions got me;could'nt even SEE the rest of the show,really.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What some of you guys are cooking is called "Posillo" not sure the spelling is correct its about the same thing as Chili Verde and can be made with red or green chile and pork..

All of you Chili heads left out the primary spice to all Mexican cooking, CILANTRO!

Bill,
Milk??? that would make headlines in Idaho. shocker Actually the best cure is to rub your hands down with a silverware knife or spoon..really it works. I think it works, maybe not! but it should!!! nilly

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray.I know down in Old Mexico they have a bowl of what they call Posada;different regions use different names for the same dish. As to the eye watering cure; I have tried all I know from breathing through your mouth + never your nose to keeping a piece of bread in your mouth (really)etc. I just soldier up. Oh + BTW,about 44 years ago I took this young lady to bed after our having eaten in a Tex-Mex restaurant w/ lots of peppers + hands being what they are in the throws of passion left that young lady rolling on the bed + thrashing the mattress while holding the gentle goods.There was only one cure for that.If I admitted to finding it very funny then I suppose that I lose my position as "Gentleman".