Find
Notify
Tools

Now here is a recipe to try!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Never would have connected Serbia and fried chicken in my life!

https://www.atlasobscura.com/a...ea&mc_eid=8e1b7aaa56

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lard was drummed out of cooking because it was bad for you. Turns out that its replacements were worse.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dave, they sell lard/"manteca" by the large pail in the grocery stores down here not 90 minutes from Mexico.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Rendered lard is readily available. A lot of custom abattoirs will also render lard. It's not hard to do your own either from leaf and caul fat.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ann, I am told the very best lard for frying and pastry baking is rendered bear lard.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill, I have never tried bear lard but use the Manteca/ Puerco frequently in my Mexican cooking + BTW, it makes a great cylinder sealant on my BP revolvers. Big Grin

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Bill:

"I love dogs so much more than people." in the Recipes forum made me think few seconds ;-)

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
Bill:

"I love dogs so much more than people." in the Recipes forum made me think few seconds ;-)

Jiri

Now THAT ^^^ is funny!
Well done

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That reminds me of the joke about 2 immigrant men arriving on Ellis Island + then after hitting the New York streets + being hungry accosted a hot dog seller + when they had their dogs the one guy asks the other, what do you think about the food? The other guy says, I don't know yet, what part of the dog did you get?

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any fine pastry shop uses lard.....

Posts: 433 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's true; hard to improve perfection using inferior products. I for one am adamant about using old recipes ingredients. Hell, we are all going to die sometime, but there's no reason to check out after eating 2nd rate food.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
but there's no reason to check out after eating 2nd rate food.

True that one! tu2

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
Bill:

Jiri

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7757 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bear lord makes the best tortllas for sure, and pie crust or whatever, also great for greasing muzzle loader patches..

Bill,
Your gonna get fatter than a Polan china hog living down there in New Mexico, its just the natural order of things in that world of fine food.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Better lard than store-bought - Save the fat trimmings off of your pork in the freezer until you get several pounds. Then, render the fat in a tall kettle on medium heat (no lid) for 45 minutes or so until the bits of meat and some of the fat pieces turn a deep brown. The bits are crisp & tasty with a bit of salt & pepper. 1 inch pieces worked best for me.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I bet there is more lard on people’s middle than on any animals! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bet there is more lard on people’s middle than on any animals!

Amen! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always used lard to seal the ends of my cylinders on my B.P. revolvers.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Going to do another batch of Barberton chicken again this afternoon. Can't wait.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Been almost three years since I made a batch of Barberton chicken. It is time.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I am not mistaken, the original Kentucky Fried Chicken recipe used lard.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I think you are right. Harland Sanders also pioneered a method of pressure frying his famous chicken.
I had no idea what a character he was until I happened to look him up on Wikipedia.

"Sanders remained the company's symbol after selling it, traveling 200,000 miles (320,000 km) a year on the company's behalf and filming many TV commercials and appearances. He retained much influence over executives and franchisees, who respected his culinary expertise and feared what The New Yorker described as "the force and variety of his swearing" when a restaurant or the company varied from what executives described as "the Colonel's chicken".

rotflmo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_Sanders

– John Green, author

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I bought a vintage "Chicken Bucket" pressure fryer this winter and waiting for it to get nice to cook outside. Even comes with a recipe copying the KFC breading. Was thinking it might work well with squirrel and rabbit too.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7757 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote