The Accurate Reloading Forums
Now here is a recipe to try!

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9811043/m/5041007362

05 January 2021, 19:45
Bill/Oregon
Now here is a recipe to try!
Never would have connected Serbia and fried chicken in my life!

https://www.atlasobscura.com/a...ea&mc_eid=8e1b7aaa56

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author
05 January 2021, 21:40
nopride2
Lard was drummed out of cooking because it was bad for you. Turns out that its replacements were worse.

Dave
05 January 2021, 23:06
Bill/Oregon
Dave, they sell lard/"manteca" by the large pail in the grocery stores down here not 90 minutes from Mexico.

– John Green, author
06 January 2021, 06:34
Aspen Hill Adventures
Rendered lard is readily available. A lot of custom abattoirs will also render lard. It's not hard to do your own either from leaf and caul fat.

~Ann

06 January 2021, 19:32
Bill/Oregon
Ann, I am told the very best lard for frying and pastry baking is rendered bear lard.

– John Green, author
07 January 2021, 09:37
NormanConquest
Bill, I have never tried bear lard but use the Manteca/ Puerco frequently in my Mexican cooking + BTW, it makes a great cylinder sealant on my BP revolvers. Big Grin

Never mistake motion for action.
12 January 2021, 22:39
Jiri
Bill:

"I love dogs so much more than people." in the Recipes forum made me think few seconds ;-)

Jiri
13 January 2021, 23:20
ZekeShikar
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
Bill:

"I love dogs so much more than people." in the Recipes forum made me think few seconds ;-)

Jiri

Now THAT ^^^ is funny!
Well done

Zeke
17 January 2021, 08:58
NormanConquest
That reminds me of the joke about 2 immigrant men arriving on Ellis Island + then after hitting the New York streets + being hungry accosted a hot dog seller + when they had their dogs the one guy asks the other, what do you think about the food? The other guy says, I don't know yet, what part of the dog did you get?

10 February 2021, 17:26
257x50
Any fine pastry shop uses lard.....
11 February 2021, 09:14
NormanConquest
That's true; hard to improve perfection using inferior products. I for one am adamant about using old recipes ingredients. Hell, we are all going to die sometime, but there's no reason to check out after eating 2nd rate food.

28 February 2021, 05:36
Use Enough Gun
quote:
but there's no reason to check out after eating 2nd rate food.

True that one! tu2
28 February 2021, 07:32
Mark
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
Bill:

Jiri

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside
15 June 2021, 00:23
Atkinson
Bear lord makes the best tortllas for sure, and pie crust or whatever, also great for greasing muzzle loader patches..

Bill,
Your gonna get fatter than a Polan china hog living down there in New Mexico, its just the natural order of things in that world of fine food.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com
22 June 2021, 04:25
custombolt
Better lard than store-bought - Save the fat trimmings off of your pork in the freezer until you get several pounds. Then, render the fat in a tall kettle on medium heat (no lid) for 45 minutes or so until the bits of meat and some of the fat pieces turn a deep brown. The bits are crisp & tasty with a bit of salt & pepper. 1 inch pieces worked best for me.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.
23 June 2021, 16:33
Saeed
I bet there is more lard on people’s middle than on any animals! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000
24 June 2021, 05:52
Use Enough Gun
quote:
I bet there is more lard on people’s middle than on any animals!

Amen! clap
25 June 2021, 08:35
NormanConquest
I have always used lard to seal the ends of my cylinders on my B.P. revolvers.

27 June 2021, 18:23
Bill/Oregon
Going to do another batch of Barberton chicken again this afternoon. Can't wait.

– John Green, author
22 March 2024, 17:12
Bill/Oregon
Hmmm. Been almost three years since I made a batch of Barberton chicken. It is time.

– John Green, author
22 March 2024, 17:36
Bobster
If I am not mistaken, the original Kentucky Fried Chicken recipe used lard.
26 March 2024, 17:31
Bill/Oregon
I think you are right. Harland Sanders also pioneered a method of pressure frying his famous chicken.
I had no idea what a character he was until I happened to look him up on Wikipedia.

"Sanders remained the company's symbol after selling it, traveling 200,000 miles (320,000 km) a year on the company's behalf and filming many TV commercials and appearances. He retained much influence over executives and franchisees, who respected his culinary expertise and feared what The New Yorker described as "the force and variety of his swearing" when a restaurant or the company varied from what executives described as "the Colonel's chicken".

rotflmo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_Sanders

– John Green, author
28 March 2024, 20:31
Mark
I bought a vintage "Chicken Bucket" pressure fryer this winter and waiting for it to get nice to cook outside. Even comes with a recipe copying the KFC breading. Was thinking it might work well with squirrel and rabbit too.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside