Find
Notify
Tools

I can't wait to cut the cheese!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Today I did it. Put some cheese in the BBQ and cold smoked it. The weather was cold enough so what the heck. This is the first batch of smoked goods I have ever done. The cheeses are wrapped and resting in the fridge.

I have the chicken on the grill to cook through now.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Ann, let us know how it goes.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ann, I cold smoke Oregon Tillamook medium and sharp cheddar and their pepper jack cheese. I have been using a smoke tube full of hickory Traeger pellets, but have been advised apple is the wood/pellet of choice.
I have found the cheese harsh until it has aged at least a couple of weeks in the fridge -- and a month is better. Hope yours comes out delicious. I had not thought of cream chesse. YUM!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's how the chicken came out after roasting. The maple flavor was excellent!

I had some for dinner and now the rest is going in the soup pot.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Ann, I cold smoke Oregon Tillamook medium and sharp cheddar and their pepper jack cheese. I have been using a smoke tube full of hickory Traeger pellets, but have been advised apple is the wood/pellet of choice.
I have found the cheese harsh until it has aged at least a couple of weeks in the fridge -- and a month is better. Hope yours comes out delicious. I had not thought of cream chesse. YUM!

Hi Bill, Yes, I had some smoked cream cheese recently and knew I had to try this. I will let it go a month then. I knew the cheese needed to rest awhile. I was thinking ten days.

I chose maple for this run because it is a sweeter flavor that might blend well with cheeses. I will buy some more pellets with different flavors. I will put apple wood on the list.

I did not brine the chicken. Did not put anything at all on it just to see what the smoke did. Not disappointed at all. Next will be some salmon.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anyone is interested this is the pellet tube I ended up purchasing for smoking.

Cave Tools

~Ann

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ann, mine is similar, just round.
You might be able to get by with waiting just 10 days with the maple. I just mailed out smoked cheese to friends and family today and had to open a cube to test it. Smoked and then vacuum-sealed it on November 7 and today it was absolutely incredible -- nice and smooth.
That chicken looks fabulous!

– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, when you mail out cheese do you put cold packs in with it?

Also, I never see Tillamook available here in flyover country. I feel lucky to find Vermont Cabot though!

~Ann

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Bill, when you mail out cheese do you put cold packs in with it?

Also, I never see Tillamook available here in flyover country. I feel lucky to find Vermont Cabot though!

We get Tillamook here in Dubai.

Had some for my breakfast the other day.

Thanks o our friend Bill for recommending it, it is great!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann and Bill, good info on cold smoking, thanks. Smoked chicken bones make a nice soup stock and the smoked chicken meat goes well in enchiladas.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ann, if you have an Albertson's, try there for Tillamook. Both Albertson's and Walmart carry it here in Alamogordo. I do not cold-pack the smoked cheese, counting on the vacuum packing to keep it wholesome. Never had an issue so far.
Saeed, that's awesome that you can get it in Dubai!

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to know, Bill, for shipping cheese. I will vacuum seal if I do gift any that way.

I'd probably have to travel to a big metro city to find a store carrying Tillamook. For now I avoid them due to mask mandates and numbers of covid infested people not staying home.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Anything Tillamook is outstanding-Cheese, Ice Cream. . . .YUM! My favorites! My other personal favorite is Cache Valley cheese and ice cream, etc. out of Logan and Beaver, Utah. I love to visit their creamery and cheese factory in Beaver right off of I-15 on my drive from Las Vegas up to Northern Utah. All fresh! They also have the BEST cheese curds in all kinds of flavors-to die for!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love Tillanook's black rind extra sharp cheddar!

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Mouth is watering!

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
EWW! Who cut the cheese?

Posts: 1066 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I was waiting for someone's inner 12-year-old to make that comment ... Wink

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
That’s Me
Glad I beat you to it Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know + agree; I wouldn't touch it. BTW, Ann, thanks for the posting + the humor! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I know + agree; I wouldn't touch it. BTW, Ann, thanks for the posting + the humor! Smiler

I am glad some of you got it. I did post with the appropriate humor involved. BTW- my farts don't stink. tu2

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Blame it on the dog...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was telling the wife about this thread last night and she said I better read it again and get on the smoking job asap!
She and I love smoky things.

Thanks all,
Zeke