THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    Elk/Venison backstraps (with a Korean flair)

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elk/Venison backstraps (with a Korean flair)
 Login/Join

<Hutt>
posted
Elk/Venison (with a Korean flair)
A friend of mine while stationed in Korea gave me this reciepe, all I did was substitute beef with Elk/venison backstrap.

2LB. Elk/venison backstrap
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons vineagar
4 tablespoons soy sauce
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
freshly ground pepper (about 1/8 teaspoon)
Sprinkle of cinnamon
1 small onion, sliced against the rings
3 small green onions, including 4 inches of green top, chopped
4 tablespoons prepared sesame seeds
4 teaspoons sesame oil

Cut backstrap daigonally across grain into 1/8-inch strips about 3 inches long. In a bowl, combine sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, peper and cinnamon. Add to backstraps and mix well. Let stand 30-60 minutes.
Prepare sesame seeds by roasting in a dry skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, add a sprinkle of salt and crush sesame seeds to release flavor. Add onion, green onion, sesame seeds and sesame oil to backstrap mixture. MIX WELL.

There are two ways that I cook this:
Stirr-fry in 3 tablespoons hot, vegetable oil in a wok 2-3 minutes until lightly browned.

Barbeque on a fine grill over charcoal fire.
Serve with steamed rice and vegatable. Makes 6-8 servings

[ 12-30-2002, 03:34: Message edited by: Hutt ]

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
This sounds good.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
So instead of bulkogi you make elkkogi (what is the Korean word for "elk"?)... It is good. I also do this with squirrel, rabbit, turkey, chicken (and the wild equivalents such as... turkey, quail, grouse), venison, etc... Wonderful stuff and I also have kimchi with it. However, I am NOT a fan of the sesame seeds. The sesame oil is more than enough.

You can do something very similar with ribs, baking them at 350 degrees and basting with the marinade recipe. Also, if you mix the marinade with ground meat, you may need a binder such as egg white. This will allow you to make a patty which is easy to break off with your chop sticks.

These foods are really good because only a pot and a frying pan or grill are needed. Easy clean up!

Anyongheekasaeyo!

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zippy The Pinhead
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobie:
So instead of bulkogi you make elkkogi (what is the Korean word for "elk"?)...

Koreans call elk "korani" and deer "sasseum."

In the recipe you provided, substituting honey for the sugar will give you a better glaze on the cooked meat, and if you include some fruit-- my preference is bosc or asian pear, and I usually make this marinade in a blender, so the pear is incorporated in the "slurry"-- the fruit juice contains enzymes which will help to soften the meat. I also like to put in a little alcohol-- wine, brandy, or even beer-- the alcohol acts as an emulsifier, and helps the oil blend in. And I agree that the roasted sesame seeds, called "chamgae" in Korean, can be left out.

Posts: 276 | Location: California, USA | Registered: 22 June 2002Reply With Quote