Find
Notify
Tools

Cold smoking fish Q
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
I recently bought a pellet tube for smoking. I want to try my hand at smoking some salmon. Must it be brined before smoking?

For those of you with experience, what do you recommend? I want the product to come out right since fish is spendy in middle America. I bought some maple pellets for this.

~Ann

Posts: 19147 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Brine is the way. I don't smoke salmon personally, but friend does. I don't smoke fish.

I have Helia smoker, some recipes for it here:

https://www.heliasmoker.de/ass...ung_englisch2019.pdf

You will find there brine for fish etc.

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Jiri. On my way to do some reading.

~Ann

Posts: 19147 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Kensco should come around soon. Always has smoking good advice.

Posts: 1070 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nvmichael:
Kensco should come around soon. Always has smoking good advice.

He does and I hope he makes a recommendation. And for sure, anyone else who's done fish. Smiler

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
PACK ABOUT 2 INCHES OF BROWN SUGAR ON TOP OF THE MEAT AND COLD OR HOT SMOKE IT,,,YOU WILL LIKE IT...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I smoke a lot of salmon and a few king mackerel every year. Everyone seems to have their own brine recipe but I use the same one every time. I gallon of water, one cup dark brown sugar, 1/2 cup of rock salt, and I usually shake a little garlic powder in. I’ll let the brine sit in the fridge overnight and then stir well and add my fillets. I like them in the brine for about two hours but anything between 1/2 an hour and three hours should work.

Remove the fish from the brine, rinse well and let the fillets dry a bit before placing them in the smoker. My favorite chips for fish smoking is alder, but any fruit wood will work.

DRSS

Posts: 624 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for responding, JA!

~Ann