New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help-cooking cod and halibut
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend is giving us some cod and halibut that he brought back from Alaska.
How does the wife prepare it? I don't do deep fried fish.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can bake either one with a variety of spices and sauces but to me cod is best fried. Halibut on the other hand is a much drier fish that seems to dry out even more when frying. Two of my favorite ways to cook halibut are boiling and halibut enchiladas. For boiling. Put half a cup of sugar in a gallon of water with about a quarter cup of sea salt. Bring the water mix to a boil and throw one inch cubes of halibut in for two to three minutes. We make up a little garlic butter to dip them in for a starter. You can use leftovers for a really nice fish chowder.

For the enchiladas I cut up an onion and get it sautéing and then throw in a can of green chilies and some cubed halibut. I usually put in a little green enchilada sauce to moistened it up a bit. Then I dip my corn tortillas in the enchilada sauce and roll them up with the halibut mix and a little cheese. After I roll them all up and have them in the pan I put a little more sauce and cheese along with some sliced green onion on top and throw them in the oven for twenty or thirty minutes.

Halibut is pretty versatile, just about anything you can do with chicken you can do with halibut.

DRSS

Posts: 624 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good cook book will tell you that the best source of a fish stock is the head of a cod .
You can use this for a fine fish soup by adding sour cream to the stock and for a bit of color add thinly sliced carrots boiled in water. Add chopped parsley.
The fish itself is best poached .Norwegians take fish very seriously ! Don't over cook it .

one of us
posted Hide Post
In Texas, it ain't fish unless it is fried. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it ain't rolled in corn meal and dropped in hot grease, it ain't fish.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Cod??? . . . Fish and Chips

Sorry you don't like deep fried, but that is proper handling for Cod, unless you bake with butter and dill or any other herb you feel goes with fish. Done right the fish is flaky and the flavor(mild that is)of the Cod comes through. Don't over cook.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to the online sight of Fish Alaska magazine. Go to their recipes index and there are some good ones there. Enjoy.

Posts: 295 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Halibut is like tofu or a sponge. It needs broth or a sauce to impart flavor. I like it seared hot in a pan basted with olive oil, butter and fresh herbs. Serve it over a flavorful risotto with a side of sautéed spinach with garlic.

Just convinced myself to pull some halibut out of the freezer.

Note: I do my halibut searing outside on my gas side burner. Otherwise your house will smell for a week.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
She lightly pan fried it with spices last night with spices? and we had chopped asparagus and mushrooms.
Great taste, but a little dry. Yelloweye Rockfish will come next.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I use a smoked paprika-based rub, super hot cast iron (outside on the grill), and cook very fast. Outside gets a little crisp and black, but it's delicious.

And make sure you start with ROOM TEMP fish. If it's cold, you'll way overcook the outside to get the inside done. That's a method you CAN use on heart though. HEart cooks fast so starting with it fridge temp helps keep the inside medium.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

I grew up on the Maine coast. Go simple with both fish. The trick is not to over cook either one. When the flakes of the flesh will separate easily with a fork the fish is done. The cod I would bake at about 400 degrees. Salt, pepper and dill will be all you need. Baste with butter just before serving. With the halibut steam/poach it with the same salt, pepper and dill. Drizzle with melted butter just before serving.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12861 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Mark has the right recipe. Don't kill the taste with too much extras.

Sorry guys but no better way waste PNW caught fish than cornmeal, grease and over cooking. Leave that to the Texans.
Big Grin

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Mark has the right recipe. Don't kill the taste with too much extras.

Sorry guys but no better way waste PNW caught fish than cornmeal, grease and over cooking. Leave that to the Texans.
Big Grin

I'm not a Texan, but that is kinda smartass post. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:Mark has the right recipe. Don't kill the taste with too much extras. Sorry guys but no better way waste PNW caught fish than cornmeal, grease and over cooking. Leave that to the Texans.

It is kind of funny.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
No better way to ruffle a few feathers than commenting on someones cooking!
It was meant to be in jest........
lol

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
No better way to ruffle a few feathers than commenting on someones cooking!
It was meant to be in jest........
lol

So was my post, did you see the emoticon?

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLJXW68X1gI

Put in the Fish seasonings you like and some Lemon. I double wrap the Fish in Tin Foil and after the wash cycle is done so is the fish!!! Don't let it go into the Dry cycle. Make one serving per packet.

Posts: 2326 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Was poking around over on youtube today and stumbled on several Cod cooking videos.

You may just want to put Cod in the search block.

After typing that I had a bit of a chuckle when I thought of some findings that may have NOTHING to do with fish.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Cod is my favorite fish, next to Halibut and I have it about once a week.. Plus I spent a fortune sending my daughter to Culinary school and she is now an executive chef..

cut into equally sized serving size pieces.

get some Mayonaise, panko bread crumbs, or seassoned bread crumbs, fresh garlic, or garlic powder, fresh or dried parsley, Cayenne or pepper flakes to taste, butter and olive oil.

If your using dry spices, mix them in with the panko bread crumbs. If fresh, add after breading.

coat the fish pieces generously in mayo then roll it in the breadcrumbs. place in a lightly oiled baking pan and bake at 350 for 15-20 min..

drizzle with melted butter and lemon and enjoy..

add Cayenne, pepper flakes, or tartar sauce to taste..

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1959 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote