THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    What is the most horrifying thing your parents did to food?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the most horrifying thing your parents did to food?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted
Can't think of any. My mom was a great cook.

Posts: 1066 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
My dad was English. He boiled things to take all flavor and texture and color out and steak was always “well done” to the point of jerky.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27588 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The worst was continuing to make things they knew I didn’t like... someone else might like it, but I didn’t. Usually it was using the crock pot for ease of cooking for many dishes.

All in all, my most horrifying item is pretty small potatoes. We ate lots of different things and as such I can tolerate quite a few things. Freshwater fish is my only real dislike...

Posts: 10465 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neither my mother, nor my second wife could/can fry an egg to my liking. Both liked them fried on HIGH to where I called the white, snakeskin. I'm an "over-medium" guy.

My first wife couldn't fry bacon. It was either underdone or overdone. I like it crisp, but not destroyed. To her credit, she did learn. (My second wife solved that for me. She doesn't let me have bacon.)

Me and my three siblings didn't complain much growing up. We knew our options were to eat it, or go without. My parents grew up on Indiana farms, so we didn't eat "fancy". (My favorite was biscuits and sausage gravy. I could eat that three meals a day.)

Posts: 13751 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stuffing and dressing. corn bread and liver and onions.. Worst things ever food wise..
ds
coues

Posts: 336 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My mother added canned tuna to spaghetti sauce ! UGH ! Me, my two brothers and sister refused to eat it !

Hip

Posts: 1790 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
My mother added canned tuna to spaghetti sauce ! UGH ! Me, my two brothers and sister refused to eat it !

Hip

Dear God!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My mom was and at 92 still is a good cook. We were raised on a farm, and had lots of meat and garden vegetables. I didn’t know better at the time, but she over cooked lots of things.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Brussels sprouts boiled to within an inch of their lives.

I refuse to touch the disgusting things to this day - 50 years later

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
My father brought home a goose to fatten up for Christmas......my sister and I adopted it as a pet, gave it a name etc.....2 years later we came home from school to find the goose slaughtered and in the pot! ..... My father and Grandmother ate the goose.....

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mom, forgive me, but you did not have to boil the canned spinach! It was already wretched enough lukewarm ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16277 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cook it. Think of cabbage boiled for 30 minutes.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My grandmother would cook venison until all the bugs were killed in the meat. You can guess how well done it was.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

yes yes yes barf

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mom, forgive me, but you did not have to boil the canned spinach! It was already wretched enough lukewarm ...
rotflmo
clap rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
When Mom discovered Spam. Now when my son was little + was sitting down for a grapefruit half for breakfast my ex had sprinkled the top with what she thought was sugar but was actually salt. He had tears in his eyes as big as horse turds + she kept on railing him to stop crying + eat it damnit! Then when I went into the kitchen the truth was revealed. He doesn't like grapefruit to this day.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:

That was how my mom made them too. Absolute vomit inducers. I have discovered B sprouts are actually pretty good just stir fried with onions, butter and lemon juice.

~Ann

Posts: 19123 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forced me to eat Banquet fried chicken dinners in the 1960's. They were wretched then, not so bad now in a convection oven.

Posts: 3647 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Oh, another nasty one is boiled asparagus. Can't do that. I do like it raw.

~Ann

Posts: 19123 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sprouts should be crispy.

By the way, what do you call a child born in a house of ill repute?

A BROTHEL SPROUT! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66691 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Asparagus. Brussels sprouts and all vegetables need to be roasted. Olive oil and salt Mmmmmm
It's a whole different flavor when roasted and caramelized.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steaks well done.

Fried eggs well done.

Fish well done.

Other than that my mother was a great cook and she would vary my food from the above. That was what my father preferred.

Posts: 9944 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dated a woman many years ago that when she was cooking pancakes, instead of letting them rise, she would pat them down with the spatula. Obviously, they then resembled hockey pucks.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:

Hip

Farmer's Almanac once published a recipe using canned tuna in spaghetti sauce. It was good. Wish I could find it.

My mom would cook spaghetti then toss in a can of tomato soup. I grew up hating spaghetti and going hungry some days because of it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not parents... but lined up for chow at field mess in the Army. Until I found out it was liver.

It was an unpopular choice. I found the mess Sergeant hiding in the woods.

Food like liver is ok in garrison since there are other options available, but troops in the field are a captive audience. Thank God I had a box of C rations.

My Dad was a Depression Baby and his imagination showed it. The few times we were left in his care were highlighted by “beans and weenies” and potato pancakes. Not bad, just way too predictable...

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
PASTA WITH TUNA, TOMATOES, AND OLIVES

https://www.almanac.com/recipe...tomatoes-and-olives#

Hip[/QUOTE]
Farmer's Almanac once published a recipe using canned tuna in spaghetti sauce. It was good. Wish I could find it.

My mom would cook spaghetti then toss in a can of tomato soup. I grew up hating spaghetti and going hungry some days because of it.[/QUOTE]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not my parents, but I was sent to a provisional scout camp when I was twelve, because our troop did not do scout camp that year. All we had to eat for lunch and dinner was Vienna Sausages, as the main meat. Hate Vienna Sausages to this very day!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Veggies cooked to mush, meat with all moisture cooked out of it. Went through a phase where I ate everything smothered in hinze 57, but I got to leave the table ahead of my sisters all the time Smiler

Posts: 1045 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
My dad was English. He boiled things to take all flavor and texture and color out and steak was always “well done” to the point of jerky.

My in-laws must have been English. haha
They raised beef yet they didn't have a clue how to cook it. The steaks were boiled in oil until tough, oily and well done.
After my I got married, the wife asked why our steaks were pink in the middle and tender. I've been cooking the meat for her the last 45 years!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That reminds me of the 1976 copy of National Lampoon, "Unwanted Foreigners" who gave shit to EVERY race under the sun, indiscriminately. As to the British they said, A bunch of pasty-faced faggots with bad teeth that boil everything, including their bread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys would rail on my dinner last night. Big salad with a vinagrette dressing and a can of sardines mixed in. It's damn good.

Posts: 9944 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love a sardine sandwich on whole wheat with a slice of onion + lots of mustard. I developed that from being with my Grandfather who made it through the depression + ate accordingly. Torn up pieces of bread in a bowl of milk with lots of salt + pepper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tuna Aspic. Basically a tuna salad imbedded in unflavored gelatin. Mostly a texture thing.
I wasn’t fed it by my mother but my girlfriend’s grandmother. Her father said when granny was in the kitchen, "I will pay you to eat some and tell her it is good."

My mother cooked pork chops well done to "kill the trichinosis". First time I was served chops properly cooked I thought it was weird.

M

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I love a sardine sandwich on whole wheat with a slice of onion + lots of mustard. I developed that from being with my Grandfather who made it through the depression + ate accordingly. Torn up pieces of bread in a bowl of milk with lots of salt + pepper.

Was in A lunchionette with a friend and he order a sardine sandwich on toast with onions and mayo. I thought it sounded terrible. A few years later I tried it out of desperation and it was really good !

Hip

Posts: 1790 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't knock it until you try it, right? However I have an accountancy that like peanut butter + mayonaisse sandwiches at which I draw the line. I love escargo + chilerlins but that sandwich combo turns my stomach. Different strokes.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
quote:

That was how my mom made them too. Absolute vomit inducers. I have discovered B sprouts are actually pretty good just stir fried with onions, butter and lemon juice.

Cut and roasted in the oven as well.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7569 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steak, well done!

Posts: 2634 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not my parents, but a college friend and I once ordered an all anchovy 16 inch pizza. Not being familiar with anchovies, we each took one bite from the pizza and threw the entire thing away. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Not my parents, but a college friend and I once ordered an all anchovy 16 inch pizza. Not being familiar with anchovies, we each took one bite from the pizza and threw the entire thing away. Big Grin

I would have eaten the whole thing and drank at least a couple quarts of beer with it ! I LOVE ANCHOVIES !!!

Hip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize until I was older... Every once in a while Mom made milk gravy with saltpork over potatoes. "Mom, we don't like this" she'd say, well your father does. He didn't like it either, but money was short that week.