The Accurate Reloading Forums
What is the most horrifying thing your parents did to food?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9811043/m/4551052362

10 December 2020, 21:04
nvmichael
What is the most horrifying thing your parents did to food?
Can't think of any. My mom was a great cook.
10 December 2020, 23:34
boom stick
My dad was English. He boiled things to take all flavor and texture and color out and steak was always “well done” to the point of jerky.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)
11 December 2020, 01:29
crbutler
The worst was continuing to make things they knew I didn’t like... someone else might like it, but I didn’t. Usually it was using the crock pot for ease of cooking for many dishes.

All in all, my most horrifying item is pretty small potatoes. We ate lots of different things and as such I can tolerate quite a few things. Freshwater fish is my only real dislike...
11 December 2020, 03:49
Kensco
Neither my mother, nor my second wife could/can fry an egg to my liking. Both liked them fried on HIGH to where I called the white, snakeskin. I'm an "over-medium" guy.

My first wife couldn't fry bacon. It was either underdone or overdone. I like it crisp, but not destroyed. To her credit, she did learn. (My second wife solved that for me. She doesn't let me have bacon.)

Me and my three siblings didn't complain much growing up. We knew our options were to eat it, or go without. My parents grew up on Indiana farms, so we didn't eat "fancy". (My favorite was biscuits and sausage gravy. I could eat that three meals a day.)
11 December 2020, 05:21
coues
Stuffing and dressing. corn bread and liver and onions.. Worst things ever food wise..
ds
coues
11 December 2020, 05:55
Hipshoot
My mother added canned tuna to spaghetti sauce ! UGH ! Me, my two brothers and sister refused to eat it !

Hip
11 December 2020, 06:45
JTEX
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
My mother added canned tuna to spaghetti sauce ! UGH ! Me, my two brothers and sister refused to eat it !

Hip

Dear God!

11 December 2020, 06:55
df06
My mom was and at 92 still is a good cook. We were raised on a farm, and had lots of meat and garden vegetables. I didn’t know better at the time, but she over cooked lots of things.

NRA Patron member
11 December 2020, 11:06
muzza
Brussels sprouts boiled to within an inch of their lives.

I refuse to touch the disgusting things to this day - 50 years later

Old enough to know better
11 December 2020, 11:35
umzingele
My father brought home a goose to fatten up for Christmas......my sister and I adopted it as a pet, gave it a name etc.....2 years later we came home from school to find the goose slaughtered and in the pot! ..... My father and Grandmother ate the goose.....

https://leslievandermerwesafaris.co.za/
11 December 2020, 17:53
Bill/Oregon
Mom, forgive me, but you did not have to boil the canned spinach! It was already wretched enough lukewarm ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author
11 December 2020, 22:01
nopride2
Cook it. Think of cabbage boiled for 30 minutes.

Dave
13 December 2020, 01:27
impala#03
My grandmother would cook venison until all the bugs were killed in the meat. You can guess how well done it was.
13 December 2020, 22:22
butchloc
quote:

yes yes yes barf
14 December 2020, 01:23
Use Enough Gun
quote:
Mom, forgive me, but you did not have to boil the canned spinach! It was already wretched enough lukewarm ...
rotflmo
clap rotflmo
14 December 2020, 07:38
NormanConquest
When Mom discovered Spam. Now when my son was little + was sitting down for a grapefruit half for breakfast my ex had sprinkled the top with what she thought was sugar but was actually salt. He had tears in his eyes as big as horse turds + she kept on railing him to stop crying + eat it damnit! Then when I went into the kitchen the truth was revealed. He doesn't like grapefruit to this day.

Never mistake motion for action.
14 December 2020, 21:20
Aspen Hill Adventures
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:

That was how my mom made them too. Absolute vomit inducers. I have discovered B sprouts are actually pretty good just stir fried with onions, butter and lemon juice.

~Ann

14 December 2020, 22:58
Bobster
Forced me to eat Banquet fried chicken dinners in the 1960's. They were wretched then, not so bad now in a convection oven.
15 December 2020, 04:34
Aspen Hill Adventures
Oh, another nasty one is boiled asparagus. Can't do that. I do like it raw.

~Ann

15 December 2020, 07:27
Saeed
quote:

Sprouts should be crispy.

By the way, what do you call a child born in a house of ill repute?

A BROTHEL SPROUT! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000
15 December 2020, 23:06
nvmichael
Asparagus. Brussels sprouts and all vegetables need to be roasted. Olive oil and salt Mmmmmm
It's a whole different flavor when roasted and caramelized.
16 December 2020, 05:59
lavaca
Steaks well done.

Fried eggs well done.

Fish well done.

Other than that my mother was a great cook and she would vary my food from the above. That was what my father preferred.
16 December 2020, 08:19
NormanConquest
I dated a woman many years ago that when she was cooking pancakes, instead of letting them rise, she would pat them down with the spatula. Obviously, they then resembled hockey pucks.

03 March 2021, 05:49
Max503
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:

Hip

Farmer's Almanac once published a recipe using canned tuna in spaghetti sauce. It was good. Wish I could find it.

My mom would cook spaghetti then toss in a can of tomato soup. I grew up hating spaghetti and going hungry some days because of it.
03 March 2021, 20:27
Acer
Not parents... but lined up for chow at field mess in the Army. Until I found out it was liver.

It was an unpopular choice. I found the mess Sergeant hiding in the woods.

Food like liver is ok in garrison since there are other options available, but troops in the field are a captive audience. Thank God I had a box of C rations.

My Dad was a Depression Baby and his imagination showed it. The few times we were left in his care were highlighted by “beans and weenies” and potato pancakes. Not bad, just way too predictable...
03 March 2021, 22:30
nvmichael
PASTA WITH TUNA, TOMATOES, AND OLIVES

https://www.almanac.com/recipe...tomatoes-and-olives#

Hip[/QUOTE]
Farmer's Almanac once published a recipe using canned tuna in spaghetti sauce. It was good. Wish I could find it.

My mom would cook spaghetti then toss in a can of tomato soup. I grew up hating spaghetti and going hungry some days because of it.[/QUOTE]
05 March 2021, 09:11
Use Enough Gun
Not my parents, but I was sent to a provisional scout camp when I was twelve, because our troop did not do scout camp that year. All we had to eat for lunch and dinner was Vienna Sausages, as the main meat. Hate Vienna Sausages to this very day!
05 March 2021, 15:54
eny
Veggies cooked to mush, meat with all moisture cooked out of it. Went through a phase where I ate everything smothered in hinze 57, but I got to leave the table ahead of my sisters all the time Smiler
05 March 2021, 21:19
ZekeShikar
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
My dad was English. He boiled things to take all flavor and texture and color out and steak was always “well done” to the point of jerky.

My in-laws must have been English. haha
They raised beef yet they didn't have a clue how to cook it. The steaks were boiled in oil until tough, oily and well done.
After my I got married, the wife asked why our steaks were pink in the middle and tender. I've been cooking the meat for her the last 45 years!

Zeke
08 March 2021, 08:26
NormanConquest
That reminds me of the 1976 copy of National Lampoon, "Unwanted Foreigners" who gave shit to EVERY race under the sun, indiscriminately. As to the British they said, A bunch of pasty-faced faggots with bad teeth that boil everything, including their bread.

16 March 2021, 07:22
lavaca
You guys would rail on my dinner last night. Big salad with a vinagrette dressing and a can of sardines mixed in. It's damn good.
16 March 2021, 09:03
NormanConquest
I love a sardine sandwich on whole wheat with a slice of onion + lots of mustard. I developed that from being with my Grandfather who made it through the depression + ate accordingly. Torn up pieces of bread in a bowl of milk with lots of salt + pepper.

18 March 2021, 10:01
Mark Clark
Tuna Aspic. Basically a tuna salad imbedded in unflavored gelatin. Mostly a texture thing.
I wasn’t fed it by my mother but my girlfriend’s grandmother. Her father said when granny was in the kitchen, "I will pay you to eat some and tell her it is good."

My mother cooked pork chops well done to "kill the trichinosis". First time I was served chops properly cooked I thought it was weird.

M
18 March 2021, 19:02
Hipshoot
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I love a sardine sandwich on whole wheat with a slice of onion + lots of mustard. I developed that from being with my Grandfather who made it through the depression + ate accordingly. Torn up pieces of bread in a bowl of milk with lots of salt + pepper.

Was in A lunchionette with a friend and he order a sardine sandwich on toast with onions and mayo. I thought it sounded terrible. A few years later I tried it out of desperation and it was really good !

Hip
19 March 2021, 09:03
NormanConquest
Don't knock it until you try it, right? However I have an accountancy that like peanut butter + mayonaisse sandwiches at which I draw the line. I love escargo + chilerlins but that sandwich combo turns my stomach. Different strokes.

19 March 2021, 09:09
Frostbit
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
quote:

That was how my mom made them too. Absolute vomit inducers. I have discovered B sprouts are actually pretty good just stir fried with onions, butter and lemon juice.

Cut and roasted in the oven as well.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141
20 March 2021, 09:40
Jason P
Steak, well done!
20 March 2021, 23:00
Use Enough Gun
Not my parents, but a college friend and I once ordered an all anchovy 16 inch pizza. Not being familiar with anchovies, we each took one bite from the pizza and threw the entire thing away. Big Grin
21 March 2021, 04:33
Hipshoot
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Not my parents, but a college friend and I once ordered an all anchovy 16 inch pizza. Not being familiar with anchovies, we each took one bite from the pizza and threw the entire thing away. Big Grin

I would have eaten the whole thing and drank at least a couple quarts of beer with it ! I LOVE ANCHOVIES !!!

Hip
23 March 2021, 17:45
theback40
I didn't realize until I was older... Every once in a while Mom made milk gravy with saltpork over potatoes. "Mom, we don't like this" she'd say, well your father does. He didn't like it either, but money was short that week.