Find
Notify
Tools

Page’s Venison Mincemeat
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted
This is an old recipe that was given to my grandparents, when they were young, by a man named Page (his last name, I can’t recall his first name). Page was in his forties or fifties when they first met. My grandparents are now almost 89. So the recipe is quite old. My grandparents were bakers by trade, so they know their pies.

Page helped mentor my grandparents and was a fine outdoorsman and hunter

I thought that I’d put it out on the net as a memory to Page and well as to my grandparent’s Howard and Marjorie Maw.

(That and as a way to make sure the recipe isn’t lost)

Enjoy,

-Steve

Page’s Venison Mincemeat

8 lb Raisins (seedless or seeded)
10 lb Sugar
8 lb Venison or Beef (lean, �" Cubes)
4 lb Suet
1 lb Citron (chopped)
8 qts. Apples (pealed, cored, and chopped)
6 qts. Apple Cider (sweet)
1 qt. Molasses (light)
1 qt. Meat Broth
12 Lemons (juice only)
6 Tbls. Cinnamon
6 Tbls. Mace
6 Tbls. Cloves
Salt to taste
1 Tbls. Brandy – per jar

Place above ingredients (except brandy) in large container and mix well. Fill 1� pint jars. Add brandy and seal. Cook in pressure canner at 5lb pressure for 90 minutes.

Makes 46 – 1� pint jars.

If you use quart jars – process for 90 minutes, as well.

The following is my additional notes on making pies from the filling:
When making the pie, put the contents of the 1 � jar into a 9” pie pan lined with an uncooked pie crust. Top with another crust and seal the edge. Cut a vent slit in the top crust about 2” long.

Bake in a 375-degree (F) oven for 20 minutes with the edge of pie covered with foil. Remove foil and bake for another 25-30 minutes until crust is golden brown.

Note:
I've also cooked the whole thing in a big batch (60 minutes if I remember correctly) and frozen in in 1� freezer containers. Keeps for several years in the freezer with no problems.

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote