New
Find
Notify
Tools

WARNING eating asian food
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
dianne likes asian food so i looked up a recipe for the #1 takeout choice of chinese restaurants
#1 was orange chicken and i found a recipe that sounded easy enough to make
WRONG gordon ramsey would have lost his voice if her was watching but i made it through
eating orange chicken is something you would only leave your worst enemy in your will
the recipe calls for a bunch of egg whites - the yokes go out the back door for cat bait
i understand why Chinese only get to 5;2: - thats as much as they can eat. throughout history food has been a major player in war, orange chicken snuck over to the enemy will guarantee a win in the war maybe we can send some over to russia they'd leave the ukraine as fast their bowels would allow
chopsticks must have made to eat asian foods cause you can't get enough to shrivel your throat in a bite and you surely don;t want to get your fingers in the stuff
god save us if the the chinese get mixed up with the norwegians lutefisk and orange chick - the world would starv-e horror films would abound - godzilla bafrs on new york- king kong dumps on an island suffocating the population
i am thankful that i made this this asian delicacy in a pot on the stove (which i threw away before it dissolves) and didn't leave it get close to my grille
all in all if the worlds chicken supply knew that they might end up as orange chicken they would enjyu picking shit with the chickens

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Good gracious, Butch! Care to share this poisonous recipe so the rest of us know what to avoid?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16344 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago there were warnings about the calories in Chinese Restaurant dishes.

This is from 2017

https://www.webmd.com/food-rec...ants-calories-galore

https://www.cspinet.org/sites/...nt/wok_carefully.pdf

They know what you like:fat, sugar, and salt. Chinese dishes give you that, and more. When dinners are several thousand calories, don't go there often.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Give me Thai or Indian. They are on the top shelf. I put Chinese on the 2nd tier, but I put Indonesian, Malaysian, and Philippine food on the bottom shelf. Can't handle it.

Posts: 13771 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I like American Chink but giving the devil his due I have tried some traditional Chinese but I really draw line at chicken feet.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Japanese food

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good gracious, Butch! Care to share this poisonous recipe so the rest of us know what to avoid?

Eeker Eeker Eeker rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
(NY) chinese food IS very high in salt and sugar.

Chinese don't eat chinese fast food.

Posts: 6379 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
(NY) chinese food IS very high in salt and sugar.

Chinese don't eat chinese fast food.

A fellow student in a technical short course had set up a cathode ray tube factory in China. It was situated way in the interior. The local restaurant hung a beef cow from a tree limb, and the cooks went out and sawed off chunks till the cow was gone, which was about a week.

Bud stated that everything offered, except rice, was "disgusting" and uneatable by the American's. And one of the things they feared most was a dinner hosted by important Chinese Officials. At these dinners, there was always a dish, he called, the "Festive Fish". The meat on this large fish was rotten. He described the flesh as putrid. The important Chinese visitors were offended if the Americans did not partake of the food.

Chinese cuisine in American has been tailored to American tastes and is far removed from what is eaten in the homeland.

I have never been offered 1000 year old egg, by the looks, I don't know if I would try it.

Recipe here:

https://redhousespice.com/century-eggs/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a very dear chinese friend who use to be my business partner. I can tell you from her that most of the so called "chinese" food that you find at "chinese" restaurants in America is not real chinese food.

KJK

Posts: 677 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Give me Thai or Indian. They are on the top shelf. I put Chinese on the 2nd tier, but I put Indonesian, Malaysian, and Philippine food on the bottom shelf. Can't handle it.

No Thai food here, too much curry, garlic and hot peppers. My Thai wife could give you a nice serving of Lap or maybe some fish heads or insect larva.
I';; stay with a rib eye, potato and green beans!

Posts: 5696 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I like American Chink but giving the devil his due I have tried some traditional Chinese but I really draw line at chicken feet.

Me too... I prefer my "beaks and feet" processed into Chicken Mcnuggets. Big Grin

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed! I have no desire to go "The Colonels" + order a "Bucket Of Beaks". Smiler

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I dunno... The best of my memory is eating and liking Chinese food a lot from the get-go. I've had Chinese food all over the world, including China where I had the absolute worst hamburger, unmatched in pure nasty, ANYWHERE! Almost all of it though has been good. Even the stuff Geno Paulucci made wasn't all that bad, not that I'd call it real Chinese food.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Indeed! I have no desire to go "The Colonels" + order a "Bucket Of Beaks". Smiler

Yes, duck beaks and chicken feet. I asked her why she ate them. She said, why not? I said chickens live in the barnyard and stand in dung all day. She said, I wash them before I cook them. I said, you can not get them washed enough for me to eat. Funny thing is, she won't eat beef, might be great grandma.

Posts: 5696 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
In several countries game birds are often prepared/cooked with the feet and often the head and beak tucked just so.

Chicken feet make fine soup stock. Most westerners don't eat the feet but it was not uncommon all that long ago to simmer the feet and strain off the resulting stock for soup.

~Ann

Posts: 19140 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let us not forget the English who will hang a pheasant until it's rotten before eating it. As to the chicken thing I am reminded of the Saturday Night Live routine by this Asian girl saying. " Chicken no make good house pet. He poops on floor, you rub his face in it; + he likes it."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Had Thai last night, Drunken Noodles with Chicken. Very nice.

I've lived in seven foreign countries over twenty years, and visited fifteen others.

For the most part their own cuisines taste better to me outside their country of origin. I tend to like the "tailored" versions.

Posts: 13771 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True, I much prefer "Tex-Mex" to REAL Mexican cooking in general. you order chili in Mexico + they'll bring you a whole pepper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Our Hutterites consider them a delicacy. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1585 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
viva la differance!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
South Africans eat chicken feet as well, blacks and whites, they call them "runaways"...... I didn't really enjoy them.....

Posts: 41765 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Ah. We're lucky. The local Giant foods store has a Chinese place. The crispy General Tso's chicken and fried rice is excellent, no MSG.
Chopsticks are too slow, got to use a metal fork.
Why folks bother with chopsticks seems counter productive especially when eating rice. Not that there is anything wrong with it.

No concerns about calories. Once a month or two isn't going to hurt anything. One has to treat themselves once in a while. Last big treat was a 6 week dry-aged 23 ounce cajun seasoned delmonico steak that the Wife and I shared.

All in moderation.
Eat well. Be well.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5092 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always the steak lover! tu2

Hip

Posts: 1813 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote