Find
Notify
Tools

Butternut Squash Soup
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
I have to say a good winter squash soup is really satisfying on a cold day. Pairs well with any meat.

Butternuts are easy to peel with a standard vegetable peeler. Gut them of seeds and dice up when peeled and gutted. Put in a stock pot with a couple of cups of chicken stock. I pulverized some celery sticks and a large sweet onion. Add what spices and seasonings you like. Cook it down until squash cubes are soft. Take off the heat and cool for awhile and then take an immersion blender and turn it to mush. Heat it back up. If done right this is very thick and not a runny soup. Sticks to your ribs.

This batch is probably a once off as I never measure anything. I can tell you I put half a stick of butter, black pepper, salt, cumin, four bay leaves, a pinch of dried thyme, chili powder, dill weed, turmeric, a pinch or two of Muchi curry and some liquid hickory smoke. You can add what spices you enjoy and not go wrong.

Garnish is a dab of sour cream, minced garlic and dried parsley.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ann -- totally agree on how wonderful butternut squash soup tastes on a cold winter's day.
Here's the recipe I use:

1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 large sweet onions, diced
2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 medium butternut squashes peeled, halved, seeds removed and diced into 1-inch cubes
3 qts chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste

In large pot, melt butter and sautee onions and apples until tender. Stir in spices, cook for a minute. Add squash and chicken stock, bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered until squash is tender -- 20-30 minutes. Puree and serve.
This goes just great with a grilled Tillamook cheese sammich on home made bread.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I will try your recipe next time. I have seen some on the net which used apples and made a sweeter soup base. I didn't have any apples on hand and was happy with a more savory soup.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a recipe I do, it's from The Chew

Curried Butternut Squash Soup
2 TBL olive oil
4 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 small yellow onion, diced
Pinch salt, plus more to taste
1, 2" piece of ginger, peeled and finely grated
2 tsp curry powder
1, 15oz can of coconut milk
1 cup water
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Garnish, if wanted:
Cilantro leaves
Lime wedges
Plain greek yogurt
Toasted butternut squash seeds

Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven to medium/high heat. Saute the onion, squash, and pinch of salt until soft.

Add the curry and ginger and cook until very fragrant (about 1 minute).

Turn down heat and add coconut milk and water, simmer about 15 minutes (do nut burn coconut milk).

Use a blender to puree the soup until completely smooth. Check seasonings and add salt and pepper to taste.

Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with cilantro, lime wedges, greek yogurt, toasted squash seeds.

Posts: 472 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sweet or savory I don't think you could ruin this soup.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
That looks good! I'm thinking that as a first course followed by med rare grilled marinated venison tenderloin, with asparagus grilled and slathered in olive and sesame oils. Would work well with roasted lamb too.

quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
I have to say a good winter squash soup is really satisfying on a cold day. Pairs well with any meat.

Butternuts are easy to peel with a standard vegetable peeler. Gut them of seeds and dice up when peeled and gutted. Put in a stock pot with a couple of cups of chicken stock. I pulverized some celery sticks and a large sweet onion. Add what spices and seasonings you like. Cook it down until squash cubes are soft. Take off the heat and cool for awhile and then take an immersion blender and turn it to mush. Heat it back up. If done right this is very thick and not a runny soup. Sticks to your ribs.

This batch is probably a once off as I never measure anything. I can tell you I put half a stick of butter, black pepper, salt, cumin, four bay leaves, a pinch of dried thyme, chili powder, dill weed, turmeric, a pinch or two of Muchi curry and some liquid hickory smoke. You can add what spices you enjoy and not go wrong.

Garnish is a dab of sour cream, minced garlic and dried parsley.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just made a double batch of the Curried Butternut Squash recipe posted above and froze it into multiple portions to bring down to the deerlease for hunting hogs this weekend. What a great cold weather soup and it's incredibly simple to make.

I'll have to try some of the other recipes posted.

Posts: 472 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
How about a chai seasoned version?
I want a bacon, jalapeño and cream cheese garnished version

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet that would be good as well.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
We process 20+ butternut squash every fall. We quarter them, then roast in the oven til tender. After they cool off, they skin is peeled off, mix in a blender and freeze in quart bags. Works great in soups, I even mix it in waffle batter with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and vanilla for holiday(ish) breakfast. Good just warmed up in a pan for a side also.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dang, Matt, those butternut pancakes sound just delicious!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote