1 C. mashed bananas
2 1/4 C. whole wheat flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2/3 C. heavy whipping cream
1 t. vanilla
1 C. chopped pecans
Put in WELL buttered loaf pan + bake @ 350 for 60-80 minutes depending on your oven; I find 60 minutes works well in mine. This can get pricey if you make too many for Christmas gifts but it is really good!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
That looks like a good recipe. I made banana bread once and ended up not liking the taste. The recipe was different than this. Had cinnamon in it. Yucky flavor.

~Ann

Posts: 19145 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Looks good, Randy. I usually use James Beard's recipe in "Beard on Bread."

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16347 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Ann, the cinnamon in my bundt cake recipe is essential + makes the house smell great at the same time but for Banana nut bread the addition of cinnamon would be a disaster. Bill, Beard's book is a good one. There's nothing like the smell in the house of fresh-baked bread.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, I bake his buttermilk bread on a regular basis. Sure makes for a great peanut butter sammich. Cool

– John Green, author

Posts: 16347 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Ann, the cinnamon in my bundt cake recipe is essential + makes the house smell great at the same time but for Banana nut bread the addition of cinnamon would be a disaster. Bill, Beard's book is a good one. There's nothing like the smell in the house of fresh-baked bread.

Indeed, for some reason cinnamon and bananas do not go together. I hope to try both of your cake recipes some time. No bundt pan but I am sure a glass dish will work too. I have very limited cabinet space in my kitchen. No more room for pans and stuff.

~Ann

Posts: 19145 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SpicyCrabDip
posted Hide Post
I've had bananas with cinnamon in a decent way before. But its only a dash inside a caramel sauce drizzled over them fried/slightly charred.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thank you Randy! tu2 Another great recipe! tu2 tu2

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
As a single divorced parent with 3 boys to raise, you WILL learn to cook, + good too. I did + they enjoyed it. As an addendum, the other day my eldest son told me, "I've never told you before but I was SO gLAD that she was gone because now we could start eating sausages, bacon + eggs in the morning + meat + potatoes at night, instead of all that hippie shit she wanted to feed us.BTW, that was when my boys developed a taste for venison. Kudos are always welcome, even if they are 40 years old.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Interesting. That's an unusual recipe. I'll have to try it.

Mine looks nothing like that - hmm...

Most people don't let their bananas ripen enough. Mine are almost black when they go into the freezer for a month, and jet black when they come out. When they thaw, they have a concentrated banana goo that is almost like a liquor. yum

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Your boys were so fortunate to have you for a father, Randy. Mean it.

– John Green, author