Notify
Tools

Rabbit and rice
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted

Some of the ingredients:

Nice way to serve up some rabbit. Very savory stew. The onions and rabbit are from my farm. I buy my wild rice from the Red Lake Nation and highly recommend them.

Best wild rice

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks good Ann, what else is in there and how long to you typically cook rabbit, no experience working with rabbit so am unfamiliar with cook times. Thanks

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That does look really good, Ann. Thanks for the turn on to the rice link.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Good stuff, Ann. I'll share that link.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim@IMReps:
Looks good Ann, what else is in there and how long to you typically cook rabbit, no experience working with rabbit so am unfamiliar with cook times. Thanks

Jim,

I used rabbit that I pressure canned for this dish. I raise my own bunnies and pressure can most of the meat (I debone and then pack in jars) though I do have some in the freezer. Since it is pressure canned it is already cooked and tender. I dump the jar in when the rest of the ingredients are cooked, in this case, the rice which takes about 45 minutes to simmer.

I find rabbit to be a bit dry as a meat as there is no fat within the muscle fibers. A casserole or similar stew is perfect though for such.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other ingredients include a boatload of minced garlic. There were a lot more fresh onions than in the photo. A couple of bay leaves, a pinch of thyme, some chili powder, black pepper, salt and a blob of sour cream at the end. I did put some brown gravy mix in this batch. Just the packet type stuff you get at the supermarket.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, will have to try this recipe when I get some rabbit meat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should clarify that I have both brown rice and wild rice in the stew. Cooking times are the same for both so I do them at the same time together in the pot.

~Ann

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Well, as long as there is garlic and onions, it is good! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66768 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Your post and the thought of the taste made the Nation yet another sale.

No tame or wild rabbit available so I am thinking Venison Shanks!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Your post and the thought of the taste made the Nation yet another sale.

No tame or wild rabbit available so I am thinking Venison Shanks!

Any meat works with rice in my book. BTW- I sell rabbit meat. Got quite a few packages in the freezer...

~Ann