New
Find
Notify
Tools

batterd fish
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
this recipie was found due to the fact that i didnt have any bread crumbs,but did have a packet of store bought batter for mushrooms,just season with salt pepper,garlic powder etc and deepfry i dont think i will need the bread crumbs anymore. enjoy

Posts: 262 | Location: pa | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
snowmaker

What recipe?

LouisB

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You mean some folks use something other than cornmeal?

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Everytime I see the title of this thread when I'm skimming through the site, I think it's about abused fish.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fish Battery is a crime in Pennsylvania!!!
(sorry, couldn't resist)
Seriously, any flour or meal with salt and pepper has the potential to be the best you ever tasted.
Mike.

Posts: 140 | Location: Irmo, SC | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russell,
Did you know that in the U.S. 8 million women are battered every year?

...........The rest are eaten raw [Razz]

Posts: 240 | Location: Downers Grove, Illinois | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
<'Trapper'>
posted
Have never found a "batter" that I really like on fish so I bread them instead. Try this some time and see what you think.
Take one tube of Ritz crackers and place in a plastic bag. Roll them with a rolling pin, can of beans, etc until they are finely crushed. Now add some pepper - I like to use 1/2 Tsp EACH of white, black and cayenne but use more or less to taste. Now take the fish fillets - and I like to cut all of mine to as near same size as possible; somewhere near the size of jumbo shrimp works well - and pat them dry if wet. Put about six or eight pieces in the bag and shake well to dust the pieces. Slid them into HOT peanut oil and let them cook. Don't overcook, when they float to the surface, presss them down once and then take them out. Don't overload the cooker and let the oil come back to temp before adding more. Now serve with some hushpuppies, cole slaw and potatoes along with lots of ice tea. Oh, one more thing - call me if its walleye fillets you are cooking!
"Shoot straight, shoot safe and shoot a lot!
Regards,

one of us
posted Hide Post
hey trapper we just tryed your recipie,added a few more spices and thought it was really good my wife wants to try it with chicken.MERRY CHRISTMAS

Posts: 262 | Location: pa | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
<'Trapper'>
posted
Snowmaker:
Never tried it with chicken but used some several years ago with some Pheasant breasts. We were waterfowling in IL and everyone was tired of gumbo, etc. I added a shake or three of poultry seasoning and all I can say is none was left.
Regards,

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the snowman batters his fish with, but I have found a batter for onion rings that works really great. It's called "Don's Chuckwagon Onion Ring Mix" I substitute their liquid with 1 can of beer. Mix until thick (has trouble running off of the fork). I usually dredge the fish in some of the dry mix first, run through the batter, and cook until it floats. Taste kinda like Long Johns. I like it better. I like to use Walleye, Perch, or Crappie. I think some big bream would be great also.

Posts: 110 | Location: SWPA | Registered: 11 January 2003Reply With Quote