Find
Notify
Tools

Quiche
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
A friend's wife sent me a pic of a quiche she did in a cast-iron skillet + I elaborated on the theme. Using hash brown potatoes as a crust I browned them then formed them into a crust, bottom + sides. then used my quiche Lorraine recipe to fill the void. (Sauteed bacon, onions,garlic+ mushrooms) beaucoup cheese, heavy whipping cream, more eggs than your Dr. recommends + spinach. I like to spice with Hungarian paprika. It is VERY good! Regardless of the 70s attitude, REAL men do eat quiche.+ cook it too.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That'll work. tu2

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Y'all are making me real hungry, Randy.
I usually use a quiche pan with removable bottom, so I have to be really careful to seal it with crust or it will leak. Your hash brown crust sounds fabulous, though, and would work great in a cast-iron skillet.
I usually use the Joy of Cooking recipe, and add mushrooms, broccoli and lots of Gruyere ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16305 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Y'all are making me real hungry, Randy.

+1 tu2

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
My wife does a hash brown casserole which is pretty much the same thing. Fully cook the hashbrowns, put them in a casserole dish and then add the cooked bite-size sausage bits than your egg mix and bake it until done. It’s delicious! Same can be done with tater tots but hash browns are better. You have to fully cook the tater tots first.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds similar to a Portuguese tortilla.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
real men dont eat quiche - they call it a pie and then its ok

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife does a hash brown casserole which is pretty much the same thing. Fully cook the hashbrowns, put them in a casserole dish and then add the cooked bite-size sausage bits than your egg mix and bake it until done. It’s delicious! Same can be done with tater tots

Our one daughter calls that 'Cowboy Breakfast'. Then she can get her four boys and husband to eat it. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of SpicyCrabDip
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:
My wife does a hash brown casserole which is pretty much the same thing. Fully cook the hashbrowns, put them in a casserole dish and then add the cooked bite-size sausage bits than your egg mix and bake it until done. It’s delicious! Same can be done with tater tots

Our one daughter calls that 'Cowboy Breakfast'. Then she can get her four boys and husband to eat it. Big Grin

Yup. Know what I'm making for breakfast tomorrow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
real men dont eat quiche - they call it a pie and then its ok

this!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:

this fer damn sure!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, Boomie, are these hash browns the double-cooked from scratch kind? I confess I have never tried making real hash browns.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16305 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
fully cook the hashbrowns first.
https://youtu.be/7xDmCLP5mhY
https://youtu.be/ttK2YP_ayYI
Or what I do is grate the russet potatoes directly into a heated cast iron skillet with plenty of vegetable oil for less fuss.
for extra crisp, toss the shredded potato with rice flour.
You can add the cooked sausage and egg mix to the cast iron and put in the oven to bake. Add sharp cubes or shredded cheddar on top.
cool till all liquid egg is firmed up.

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, boomstick is correct on shredding the russets with a standard grater. I however don't put the grated potatoes directly in the hot skillet; I soak them overnight in water, then cook the next day. They absorb the water + it makes for some really fluffy + tender hash browns.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
I often make guineafowl quiche - use a smaller pie size dishes - single serving, and very tasty

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do a similar thing at Christmas for friends in the community; baking Kahlua Pecan Pie in tarts for distribution, let's face it, no one can afford to bake everyone a whole pecan pie. If there is any interest I will post my Kahlua Pecan Pie recipe. It is quite good + almost at the same level as my buttermilk pie. tu2

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
This pie talk is dangerous. I made my first Key lime pie about six weeks ago -- dang it was spectacular -- and I am still working off the calories ...
Have made Kahlua pecan -- another "Dang!" pie, but never tried a buttermilk.
I really have to do this quiche first.

hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i wouldn't drink buttermilk if you held a gun to my head. but DAMN, the first time she made a buttermilk pie i gained about 10 lbs. now she'll make em on thanksgiving and xmas only. i rate that and boston cream pie as my favorites.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If there is any interest I will post my Kahlua Pecan Pie recipe. It is quite good + almost at the same level as my buttermilk pie.

Yes, Randy please post both!

Speaking of pies, I just love the large individual meat pies that are made and sold in many bakeries and butcher shops in South Africa and Zimbabwe. I have eaten many of those on Safari! Damn, that makes me hungry!

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well geez, UEG, you better have some "pitchers' to share ...

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buttermilk pie is INCREDIBLE!!!!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dad made the world's best biscuits. Recipe was simple. Salt, buttermilk and self rising flour. Don't have amounts as he didn't measure. Make a moist dough--if too dry add buttermilk if too moist add more flour---then form biscuits by hand and place on a greased platter, then turn them over so that top and bottom is greased--then bake.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
growing up so close to mexico you could fart and knock a mexican off his mule that was in mexico, all we ate was tortillas and wonder bread. biscuit dough came out of a tube you smashed on the counter top and was only for dinner with guests. sometime in the late 80s i think i drove to san marcos to visit a son there in college and we ate an early breakfast at some git it n go place for the early working crowd that had a buffet. he had me try a plate of biscuits and sausage gravy. had never heard of it before. i damn near went into a frenzy! until i found out you gained a pound with each biscuit. got home and told my wife about biscuits and gravy. she said "whats that"?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Biscuits and gravy is a cowboy or blue collar laborers breakfast for people who burn a few thousand calories a day. Some jobs can burn 6000 to 7000 calories a day. (ask me how I know) I sometimes cook it for my co-workers and it is a big hit. If you want extra decadence, mix in grated frozen butter to the biscuit dough.

quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
growing up so close to mexico you could fart and knock a mexican off his mule that was in mexico, all we ate was tortillas and wonder bread. biscuit dough came out of a tube you smashed on the counter top and was only for dinner with guests. sometime in the late 80s i think i drove to san marcos to visit a son there in college and we ate an early breakfast at some git it n go place for the early working crowd that had a buffet. he had me try a plate of biscuits and sausage gravy. had never heard of it before. i damn near went into a frenzy! until i found out you gained a pound with each biscuit. got home and told my wife about biscuits and gravy. she said "whats that"?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those things in a carboard tube they call biscuits aint biscuits. Try the recipe I posted and you'll see what I mean.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vaughn, here are my 2 pie recipes. Both make 2 regular 9" pies.
Buttermilk pie=1 stick of butter, melted
2C. sugar
3T. flour
4 eggs
1 C. buttermilk
1t. vanilla
/2 c. coconut
Bake 1 hr. 20 min @ 325 deg.
Pecan pie Kahlua
1/4 c. butter, melted
1/2 c. sugar
2 heaping T. brown sugar
1 t. vanilla
2 TB. flour
3 eggs
1/2 c. Kahlua
1/2 c. dark karo syrup
3/4 c. evaporated milk
1 c. pecans
Bake @ 400 for 10 minutes; reduce to 325 + bake an additional 40 minutes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW, you can cut back on the coconut + add some cocoa powder, alternate buttermilk for heavy cream + turn this one into a recipe for chocolate chess pie. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU RANDY!!!!! tu2 tu2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to add a recipe right now for my best cake. This will do the holidays proud. You WILL love it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to it! tu2