THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    Wild boar hog shoulder roast on the smoker.

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wild boar hog shoulder roast on the smoker.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Turned out great. Just added plenty of sea salt, cracked black pepper, Hungarian paprika and granulated garlic and smoked it off to the side of the burning wood for about 75 minutes over new red oak flooring boards until faint pink in the center. Tasted more like beef than pork.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Making me hungry!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Custom, when you say wild boar, was this a Russian or European boar, or a male feral hog? Just wondering if there is much difference in the meat texture and flavor between the two critters.
Sounds absolutely delicious.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill,

This boar was a cross that included some combo of Feral, Russian and Red Waddle. The Waddles were introduced to wild game farms to produce larger hogs. The meat on this male was similar to veal & tender with only 35-45 minutes of hot smoke from red oak.
My next to last boar meat was a male feral black. Meat had a little more beef essence after essentially the same cooking time/wood.
The 110 pound lactating sow was the mildest of the 3 and buttery and like a mild veal.

Seasoning: We call it BEAR DUST. No measuring. Just taste it after it's mixed. Add as desired to your taste.

Hungarian Paprika about 1T sounds good
Brown sugar (easy)
Salt & coarse pepper.
Granulated onion- good bit.
Granulated garlic - half as much as the onion.
Same amount of dark chili powder.
A dash of celery salt

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the details, Custom. Your Bear Dust looks admirable. I need to mix up a batch.
I have been using Meathead Goldwyn's "Memphis Dust" with decent results.

https://amazingribs.com/tested...phis-dust-rub-recipe

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
You're welcome. That Memphis rub is close to mine.

Tasting the rub on a wet finger tip first is important to make sure the flavor/salt is just right. A little bit of allspice adds some interesting flavor too. Worth mentioning is coverage. Use plenty until the meat is covered all around. Works for me anyway.

Oh. I almost forgot again.
Last time I wet the roast down with my favorite Mexico made hot sauce and let it sit at room temp for an hour before adding the dry rub. I love this stuff. No gums,no citric acid no junk. It doesn't taste HOT, just adds more depth of flavor.

VAL