New
Find
Notify
Tools

Venison and Wild Hog Spaghetti
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This will be the last spaghetti recipe you will ever make.

Spaghetti

3 lbs. Spaghetti (We Prefer Wheat)
1 lb. Italian Sausage (Made from Wild Hog)
2 lbs. Ground Venison or Lean Ground Beef
2 – 14 oz. Cans of Diced Tomatoes
5 – 15 oz. Cans of Tomato Puree
1 C Red Wine
1 Green Bell Pepper
½ of a Red Bell Pepper
1 – 8 oz. Package Sliced Button Mushrooms
1 – 6 oz. Package Baby Portabella Mushrooms
½ of a Yellow Onion
4 T Minced Garlic
3 t Heaping Italian Season
3 T Heaping Brown Sugar
3 Bay Leaves
Crushed Red Pepper to Taste
Black Pepper to Taste
Salt to Taste
7 qt. Crockpot

We have a 7 Quart Kitchen Aid crock pot, which I believe is just about the biggest on the market and this recipe fills it completely. Brown meat and drain liquid. Chop peppers, onion and mushrooms small. Combine all ingredients in crock-pot and cook on low overnight (we start after dinner and it is ready by lunch the next day). Serve over your favorite pasta with a glass of Chianti or Sangiovese. It will look chunky when you first throw it in the crock pot, but when you wake up the vegetables will have cooked down and your house will smell like heaven. Freezes and delivers well in mason jars, just don't over fill or it will break the glass.

Posts: 411 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 28 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum ! wave

I'd skip the sugar but otherwise it will be super .We don't have wild boar here yet .Have you tried to make sausage of venison and wild boar ? That's a good combo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not mixed venison and wild hog for sausage yet, but it is really common. Wild hog is leaner than the pork butt they normally mix with venison for sausage.

The brown sugar is an Italian thing. 3 T for 7 qts is extremely small. Most spaghetti sauces have brown sugar as a basic ingredient.

Posts: 411 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 28 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Italian thing ? No Italian relative of mine ever put sugar in a pasta sauce !!! But that's the 'Italian thing' no two Italians ever agree on anything ! Roll Eyes Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wise and well spoken! I got the original base for this recipe from a 2nd generation Italian and that was one his things. One thing to keep in mind is there are different regions with entirely different tastes. Look at how the same food varies entirely based on whether it is made in the north, south, Texas, or southwest. Southern cornbread is sweet, but if you dare put sugar in cornbread in Texas it's a sin.