Find
Notify
Tools

Home made Pastrami
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted
Bought a slab cut of corned beef, soaked it in water overnight to remove excess salt. Then patted it dry, and liberally coated it with 1/3 black pepper, 2/3 coriander, and a touch of garlic powder. Coarse grind on the spices. Put it into my electric smoker, set for 240 deg for 6 hours, on a rack over water, with the deep roasting pan loosely covered with foil. Used apple wood, and hickory, but only feeding chips like 1/4 cup every 2 hours for mild smoke. Replenish water in pan, so it steams while smoking. Wow! Even the wife liked it! Strangely enough, the corned beef was almost $2/lb cheaper than the fresh brisket in the market, saved me the trouble of curing.

Hippie redneck geezer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds great! I've got a corned brisket flat in the freezer, and am planning to do the exact same thing when I fire up the smoker for the first time this year (hopefully soon!).

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
That sound great and pretty easy to do,, we usually corn about 30lbs of moose each winter. we'll convert some to pastrami next time around.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote