New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jerky/Biltong/Air Dried Beef
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Alton Brown on food network recently had a TV episode about beef jerky using a fan. Local Acme grocery store had a buy one get one free on London Broil so I gave it a try this week.
Basically involved slicing meet about a 1/4 inch thick, marinating for 3-6 hrs in a soy/worchester/vinegar and some minor other spices and then hanging infront of a small fan you'd have in your bedroom/etc (exactly what I used) for 9-12 hrs.
Ate 2 lbs in 3 days, couldn't have been easier to make.

Posts: 105 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you do research in dehydrating meat they tell you to heat to 145F to kill the nasties that may be in the meat.You may also have to deal with things like trichinosis which if I understand correctly cannot be killed by freezing in cold areas like AK.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I don't mind smoked jerky, but I think I am getting to the point where I prefer air dried biltong.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
If you do research in dehydrating meat they tell you to heat to 145F to kill the nasties that may be in the meat.You may also have to deal with things like trichinosis which if I understand correctly cannot be killed by freezing in cold areas like AK.

If I'm using elk or deer meat that has been frozen for some time I figure that it is safe.

I like to use a 3 to 5 pound elk roast that has been trimmed of all sliverskin.

When I make biltong I slice the meat about an inch thick and one to two inches wide. Strips can be anywhere from a few inches long to over a foot.

I marinade the meat in the fridge for three days, turning daily.

My marinade is half a cup of vinegar(any vinegar except for dark balsamic), a tablespoon of coriander, a tablespoon of coarse black pepper and a tablespoon of canning salt.

I hang the meat on hooks on a rack that allows air to circulate freely. Usually I set up a fan to get the meat started drying but once the surface is dry I let the meat dry without the fan.

With the dry air where I live the strips are ready in 4 to 10 days.

The thinner strips dry faster which is good because by the 4th or 5th day I am ready to tear into them.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How long are you supposed to cook meat to 145 for? Before or after air drying?

Posts: 105 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote