New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast Iron Griddle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a GE Hotpoint duo-grid model HG4 griddle. Unit is 220 volt and about 30"wide. Cooking surface is 1" thick cast iron. The rest of the unit is stainless. Everything works, but the cooking surface is a bit rough. There is some rust around the perimeter and lot of scratches toward the middle. A google search yielded no info on this unit, so I have no idea when it was built or how to best restore the cast iron. Any help here? Stoney

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to a restaurant supply place and buy a "griddle stone" warm it up and apply some oil then a light scrubbing with the stone. Wipe it off with a cotton rag then re oil it. Every time you cook with it clean it the same way and soon it'll be good as new. Most restaurants use griddle stones to clean up with so you might be able to buy one from the local greasy spoon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I ordered a griddle brick, actually volcanic pumice, from Amazon tonight.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After rereading my post I noticed a little sumpin that's confusing. You warm up the griddle not the stone Big Grin