THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    Here's a new one to shoot for, boys!

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here's a new one to shoot for, boys!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Old Meathead still sends out some good stuff. Will try this when next doing a pork butt.

https://amazingribs.com/tested...tt-takes-chili-verde

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a real winner.

Hold the sour cream and don't refer it as Mex-Am Food. It was starting to sound a little too Californian. The reference to black beans tells me all I need to know. If they don't like pintos, send them back home.

Posts: 13771 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I gathered raw materials today. I will have to rely on my smoke tube on the Weber gasser to get some flavor into that butt.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Ken,we do like our pintos.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A helpful addendum. I might have mentioned this before,but when cooking pintos they sometimes are too crunchy instead of how they are supposed to be.Two problems here. Old age of beans or too alkaline tap water from the source..Same solution to both.Use distilled water.It works + as Bill can attest,my beans are to die for.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
They are indeed, Randy.
And a pinch of baking soda in the soak water kills the "raffinose" sugars that cause, um, issues ...

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Have my beans soaking and just blistered the Anaheims and Poblanos.

dancing

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True,my mom taught me growing up how to cook (I got better on my own) but that side line of the baking soda in the night before I am well aware ove.I remember it quite well as when I was in the Scouts + taking "Boys Life" there was an add that said if you could send in an item of interest concerning scouting it would be $10.00.Being a kid,ten bucks was big money. I never got paid for (my) idea BTW,but I do remember those nights around the campfire when all of us Boy Scouts were farting like wild men.Strange maybe that these memories are so precious.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
This dish is just really marvelous. Well worth the effort and a keeper recipe for sure.

Cool

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
They are indeed, Randy.
And a pinch of baking soda in the soak water kills the "raffinose" sugars that cause, um, issues ...

first of all, them "issues" are half the fun. "beans beans the musical fruit"
second , its alot easier to accomplish this if u desire to spoil the fun by just lying a wooden spoon in the pot of cooking beans, top to bottom. when the temp gets too high the little farts just run up the spoon and jump off!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm still having trouble understanding how a guy from Oregon has become so acclimated to New Mexico and everything New Mexican so fast. You are definitely hitting on all cylinders.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
from Blazing saddles in the campfire scene. Somebody that knows how pull it up. " More beans Mr, Taggert?" No, I'd say you boys have had enough!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beans that do not produce/induce farts are not worth cooking or eating

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Beans that do not produce/induce farts are not worth cooking or eating

Never were words so true before spoken.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ken, having nearly a dozen ancestors in the cemetery right here in Alamogordo -- and two canyons in the Sacramento Mountains named for them -- must have something to do with it. I have said it before, but New Mexico bit me hard when I was 15 and a Boy Scout seeing Philmont for the first time. That was 1968.

hilbily

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Young whipper, snapper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know, I know. You kids today! When I was growing up all we had to eat was rocks, + damned glad to get em.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have said it before, but New Mexico bit me hard when I was 15 and a Boy Scout seeing Philmont for the first time. That was 1968.

Yep. I know what you mean. Twice to Philmont. It gets in your blood. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scouts in my youth w3ere a good thing. In my case in the mid-60s in Norfolk Va, our scoutmasters were retired or still active duty naval officers that understood REAL things to teach the kids. Knowledge of knots, semaphore, + too many more to mention. These guys were planting the seed of the troops of tomorrow. The scouts today are a bad joke. My boys weren't interested when they saw what it had become + neither were I. Mores the pity. I recall some idiot talking head recently saying that the Boy Scouts were NOT to be a training ground for the military. What an idiot. That was EXACTLY what Badden Powell had in mind; + before the pussification of the current "powers that be" we would still have a viable system of young men who did honestly believe in "God + Country".

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Really to bad that there is NO way for anyone to create something today.
All would have to suffer the PC claptrap of today and could be no better
Tolerance only runs one way it seems.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the property tax assessor is a one-way street as well. Some idiot down the road paid 18K per acre so the county said that it was all worth 18K an acre. Another neighbor just bought some land on the other side + paid 5600 an acre. So I went to the county + said that by your own rationale that means that the land is worth 5600 an acre. OH NO!! It doesn't work that way. It only applies when in their favor.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Use Enough Gun: I have been blessed to be back to Philmont a couple of times, sharing it with my daughter and my late father. We mostly just drove around -- down to Rayado -- but also spent time at the sacred heart of the ranch -- The Ernest Thompson Seton museum.
Seton of course had in mind a more spiritual model for Scouting based heavily on the Native Americans' view of the natural world, but lost out to Baden-Powell's British military model. I am not sure Scouting was the better for it.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I've got the collected works of Seton. Good reading from another time. You don't see them much anymore.