Find
Notify
Tools

Can't beat a nice butt!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Doing a pork butt for pulling today. Salted it last night, then rubbed it up nicely with Meathead Goldwyn's "Memphis Dust." Here it is after four hours on the Weber at 230 degrees with the smoke tube going. It has reached the classic stall at 150 degrees, so I am using the "Texas crutch" and wrapping in foil to finish in the oven. Looking for the magic temperature of 203 degrees for pulling. Sides will be Randy's (Norman Conquest) pinto beans and cold beer. Go Seahawks!!

fullsizeoutput_1427 by ComeWatson, on Flickr

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
holy crap that looks good!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yes, it does. One shouldn't get on here when they're hungry. That should go well with those beans Bill.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, it did! beer

– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill, let me know how your Mo's sauce is holding out. Best, Randy

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
how was your butt?

A fun thing I do for pulled pork...

I first make a paste with my favorite herbs and spices with a high smoke point oil like avocado oil or peanut oil. The oil and spice paste gets more flavor to stick to the meat. I do this for Tri Tips, ribs etcetera. I use a hot fire or cast iron to sear and get caramelization of the meat that adds depth of flavor to the meat and spices. For a butt, I make large cubes, cover with paste, sear/caramelize then add to a crock pot to cook until it shreds well. Depending on the dish, I vary my spices and the crock pot liquid. I usually add liquid smoke, bay leaves, oregano, vinegar, honey, mustard, onions citrus or juice etcetera. I add doctored up BBQ sauce if I desire later. Add salt at the end because salt can toughen the meat. This can be done in a foil sealed casserole dish at 275 for 2 1/2 ish hours as well. This works great for pork belly for tacos as well. People go nuts over it. The pulled pork I do a slaw, my crazy good beans and Hawaiian rolls. I may do a cook book lol

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, still have about a half bottle of Mo's, thanks. It's darned good stuff.
Boomie, the butt was a bit dryer than I expected it to be, but good flavor. I am very interested in your oil and spice technique for tri-tips and for cubed butt. I had never thought of doing a butt that way, but you obviously increase the surface area, and searing adds a whole bunch of Maillard reaction goodness before the real cooking begins.
Write that cookbook, bro!

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Exactly... Increased surface area to brown and have flavor stick to. the cubes are around 3” so perfect for shredding. If you use the crock pot method, you can use the leftover liquid to make ham hocks and collard greens. The tri tips can be smoked first then spice paste and sear for ultimate tenderness and flavor. I usually just paste, sear and BBQ with at least 20 min rest but not wrapped or else you lose some of the crunchy outer texture. I do a lot of cooking at work, we have lots of cast iron, a restaurant quality stove, a Santa Maria style BBQ gril, a gas BBQ and a Traeger smoker.

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm disappointed. This thread not what I expected from the title.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
carpetman... I guess you like the ladies looking at your handle. I was disappointed as well, but Walter has a no nudity rule.