Find
Notify
Tools

Oven Fries
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
First preheat the oven to 450 and use a thermometer to make sure that number is accurate. You want it hot as blazes.

Take about 2 hand size potatoes per person if you are a pig, or one per person if you can control your appetite and give them a wash in warm water and then "french" them into 1/4 inch French fry slices. I use organic free range grass fed or somehow otherwise anointed potatoes because I am married to a red head hippy that thinks everything should be made out of panda farts (I am probably healthier, now that I don't eat Crisco and drink booze).

I don't peel them.

Soak the fries in warm-hot salty water for about 20 minutes.

Strain the fries for about the same time.

Take a half cup to a cup of liquid bacon grease (I used duck fat and it was ok, but not better!) and toss in a big bowl with the fries and then season to taste.

I use a variety of things depending on my mood. Old Bay is good, Lowery's salt is good, or just sea salt and paprika if kids are eating it and they are picky. The Meat Church in Dallas sells lots of different rubs, and most of those are good on the fries. Most of the commercial rubs for chicken and pork are perfect.

Then place the salted and greased fries on a cookie sheet to bake for 20 minutes. Flip them over and do another 10-20 depending on how crisp you want them.

Then season again to taste.

Parmesan cheese is popular, but we rarely do it at the house.

I have been making these for years, have used olive oil, butter, duck fat, beef tallows, ghee, coconut oil, and avacado oil. Bacon grease is my favorite!

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Will try these, Seth. I have had decent luck with an air fryer, too.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16269 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will note a short physics lesson.

If the potatoes are warm from the hot-warm water and the oil is warm, you will have no problem.

If the grease is hot and you put it on ice cold potatoes you will have problems. As the grease will clump and be harder to cover everything.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I will note a short physics lesson.

If the potatoes are warm from the hot-warm water and the oil is warm, you will have no problem.

If the grease is hot and you put it on ice cold potatoes you will have problems. As the grease will clump and be harder to cover everything.

Olive oil?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14321 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oil is a general term. I am referring to the bacon or duck fat.

Once you have fries cooked in lard, bacon fat, tallow, butter or ghee you will never eat another seed oil fry again.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I toss yukon gold potatoes in seasoning and olive oil before baking or air frying. Air fryer is a good friend of mine.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27587 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never used one. I would think it would make quicker work of it.

Maybe more consistant?

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Seth, I can relate as I was once married to a hippie woman with dietary ideas that were questionable. When she left me with 3 kids the boys were happy as they now could eat regular meat + potatoes + have sausage, bacon + eggs for breakfast + not have to be subjected to that hippie food. tu2

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When we married she was a vegetarian.

She eats turkey, fish, and a little ground beef. But that was a battle!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BWW....you lost me at "i don't drink booze"

Posts: 1529 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
BWW....you lost me at "i don't drink booze"

rotflmo beer

– John Green, author

Posts: 16269 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was a single Sailor most of my career. I have health issues that booze is creating problems for. Namely gout and acid reflux.

I don't have a problem with it, and I'll have a couple beers a year or some scotch or gin. But I don't make a habit of it more than 2-4 times a year. It isn't worth the pain.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i on the opposite side of the coin. with blown out knees, shoulders, back surgery, hand surgery etc etc and being diagnosed with chronic pain a little toot or 2 every night b4 bed helps me sleep. gotta love that tequilla.

Posts: 1529 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Seth, sorry about the gout and reflux. I have had gout -- years ago-- and would not wish it on Satan himself. Take omeprazole for the GERD. "Take that awful beer" in my Texas Methodist grandmother's memorable words for intractable nerve pain in lieu of going down the opioid trail. Just trying to get by ...

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents,

I am on day 15 of a nothing but meat diet.

No gout!

Acid refluxe continues but I am nuts about coffee and tea.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
So sorry about the diet Seth. That means no oven fries ...

– John Green, author