New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Food Pyramid......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
....for those unfortunants who live elsewhere.......

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the same as here in NW New Mexico, except for Blue Bell. But we have others that are almost as good.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:
That's the same as here in NW New Mexico, except for Blue Bell. But we have others that are almost as good.

We have green chile! Put that in place of pecan pie in that pyramid and I'm a happy guy.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone who would substitute green chiles for pecan pie should live in NM.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Anyone who would substitute green chiles for pecan pie should live in NM.

Indeed. Maybe that's why I'm so comfortable here. Big Grin I'm just not a big nut eater, and have little use for pecans despite living in one of the top three pecan-producing states. In fact, I don't have much of a sweet tooth at all. I would rather have a green chile cheeseburger than any pie, though Mama's cobbler using fresh peaches from the back yard tests my dessert restraint...

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chacun a son gout.

Hard to believe that NM produces more pecans than Texas, but it is sad but true. Luckily we use more of them for thier highest use, a pecan pie. It takes about 1/2 pound of pecans/pie. AFAICT there are no stats of pie production, but I'll put my money on Texas. Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I understand why the Pecan Pie is in there. But a more commonly found staple elsewhere throughout the country. Even in NYC- "get a rope......." In fact even though less common by number a cobbler in a glass baking dish screams family reunion......whereas a pie: "So and so blah blah blah, she must have bought it at HEB at the last minute...."

Now a dewberry cobbler topped with Blue Bell is uniquely Texas.

Any asshole can buy pecans, but drive down any county road in late spring and you'll see a woman in a ditch with 5 gallon bucket and a (snake) stick........

Regardless of which pie you choose, the food groups of "pie" and "Blue Bell" should not be separate- the _____ pie/cobbler topped with Blue Bell is one food group

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
I understand why the Pecan Pie is in there. But a more commonly found staple elsewhere throughout the country. Even in NYC- "get a rope......." In fact even though less common by number a cobbler in a glass baking dish screams family reunion......whereas a pie: "So and so blah blah blah, she must have bought it at HEB at the last minute...."

Now a dewberry cobbler topped with Blue Bell is uniquely Texas.

Any asshole can buy pecans, but drive down any county road in late spring and you'll see a woman in a ditch with 5 gallon bucket and a (snake) stick........

Regardless of which pie you choose, the food groups of "pie" and "Blue Bell" should not be separate- the _____ pie/cobbler topped with Blue Bell is one food group

NOW THERE IS A MAN WHO KNOWS HIS FOOD GROUPS!!!!

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
THIS RECIPE CAME VIA TRAVEL AND Leisure magazine, sounds good, better with TEXAS pecans Wink

quote:
MAKEOVER PECAN CORN PUDDING RECIPE

Read Reviews (6)
Publisher Photo Every bit as rich and creamy as the original recipe, this magical makeover has crunchy pecans, loads of cheese and a touch of jalapeno. Destined to become a favorite! —Sharon Beshoar, Montrose, Colorado
Featured In: 25 Potluck Side Dishes to Feed a Crowd
MAKES:
12 servings
TOTAL TIME:
Prep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
RATE COMMENT SAVE PRINT
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
HEALTHY
INGREDIENTS
1 cup yellow cornmeal
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3 eggs
1-1/4 cups buttermilk
3/4 cup reduced-fat butter, melted
2 cans (one 14-3/4 ounces, one 8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
2 cups frozen corn
2 medium onions, chopped
1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp reduced-fat cheddar cheese
4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal and baking soda. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk and butter. Add cream-style corn, corn and onions. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
Pour half the mixture into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheese and jalapenos. Top with remaining batter; sprinkle with pecans.
Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with Land O'Lakes light stick butter. We recommend wearing disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers. Avoid touching your face.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Long Live Stahmann Farms!

http://www.stahmannpecan.com/

Used to drive through Stahmann Farms a lot to cross the Rio Grande, get up on the mesa and hunt jackrabbits.

A pure pleasure during the summer when I was in college and it got a little too hot was to jump on your bike with your girlfriend behind you and cruise through Stahmann Farms. The continuous shade as you drove dropped the temperature by at least ten degrees. I could use that right about now.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Fixed it:

The "tacos" should be egg, bacon, potato, cheese "breakfast tacos."

And for the love of Christ where is Whataburger!!!!

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just moved to NM and I really enjoy green chilis. They are a little mild for my taste, but still very good. I really do miss Blue Bell though!

Posts: 411 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 28 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just tried a new to me Blue Bell flavor......Summer Blackberry Cobbler......really nailed the flavor in the name. Absolutely delicious.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed Blue Bell. Its pretty good. But if your a fan of vanilla make sure you pick up a pack of Kirklands premium vanilla next time you visit Costco. It has the highest butterfat content of any ice cream I ever tasted.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like most of the Pyramids so far..about my daily diet stuff..

I do miss Blue Bell more than anything in this world..Its addictive, I love the Praleins & cream best.

The kids think mama and I go to Texas to see them!! Little do they know! Bar B Que like no other, Blue Bell,Southern New Mexico and El Paso Mexican food, much better than So. Texas Mexican food..Jerky from Hondo and New Brunsfels, I have it all mapped out. Its a family tradition. dancing

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote