THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    What Do I Do With A Dead Wild Goose?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Do I Do With A Dead Wild Goose?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why anyone would eat one! and that's the rest of the story!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41741 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we don't get them here much anymore and I truly miss eating them.

Posts: 9936 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I agree with the others here that compare it to beef.
The best I have done with Canada gees is to breast them out, rub the breasts with olive oil and tarragon and grill to medium rare.
Slice thin and sauté them with fajita seasoning and eat just as you would beef fajitas.
The trick is to slice against the grain. It’s really a beautiful piece of meat.

Posts: 3231 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you cook them right, they're awesome.

Posts: 9936 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That's true. One just needs the knowledge. Remember that the Brits have always had a fondness for a Christmas goose as a treat. (domestic of course) but still, prep is the key.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
forgot one of my favorites -- other than gumbo -- Goose Guisada. It's same as beef and awesome. Use corn tortillas.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All right lavaca, make me beg. How about that Goose Guisada recipe? I think I could really get into that.

Posts: 13751 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cut your skinned goose breast into 1/2" cubes and follow any carne guisada recipe. What I used to do was heat the oil in a cast iron skillet or dutch oven, then add cloves of garlic, then brown the meat, with the cumin (most important) then remove. Add the onions and get them cooked. Some recipes call for tomatoes and bell or poblano or serrano peppers, but I'm lazy so I used to add a can or two of Roy-Tel tomatoes and chilis, after draining all the liquid. Once hot, add the meat back and simmer until tender. Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve on tortillas. I think its best on corn tortillas but most gringos like flour tortillas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can do the same thing with venison or pretty much anything that's not fish or chicken.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife asked if you can overcook the goose for a Guisada? You got the answer lavaca? I'm treading on thin ice here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry you're on thin ice. Yes, you can overcook. I'd cook it to "just" well done. Just beyond medium well. As soon as it's not pink in the center, it's done. But if you have it in the gravy, you have a little leeway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's totally covered in liquid, you can pretty much stew it forever. Cancel what I said earlier. For Goose Guisada. Just make sure there's plenty of liquid and you don't burn it. Then it just get's tender.

One of Us
Picture of SpicyCrabDip
posted Hide Post
Brine it, Roast it, Supplement with extra fat as need be.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Goose Guisada

I thought I was going to be able to tell you my experience. I had my wife thaw out two, and when I looked at them, I immediately started asking myself why they looked so small.

Long story, short; pheasant guisada had a very nice flavor, but a little dry. (My wife makes quisada like it would appear in a five-star restaurant. I want a guisada that looks like a Mexican "abuela" threw it together in her own kitchen.) I thought the mushrooms were a nice touch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's funny. I suspect you'll like goose guisada a lot better. Beef, game or at least a dark meat bird is going to be better than white meat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Goose requires far too much effort to camouflage the taste.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

No need to camouflage the taste. Gumbo: Smoke plucked whole-body goose, then put in a stock pot and cook until the meat can be stripped from the bones, making a stock at the same time. While that is going on, slice your vegetables: onions, peppers (I prefer Hatch or Poblano to bell), and okra. Discard bones. Then make a roux. Stir the roux into the stock to thicken and add chopped meat and vegetables into the stock and cook til done. Serve with file and tabasco over rice. No disguising flavor there.

Slightly modified with less liquid and it's etouffe

Alternatively, filet the breast and pound it flat with a meat hammer until it's thin. Then make a traditional Texas styled chicken-fried steak with white gravy. You won't be able to tell it from beef.

Cube it and use it in chili the way you would beef.

Lots of uses and it's quite good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do the same thing I do with wild grown hogs, toss them in the ranch dump! hilbily

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41741 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

They are a real pain to clean, but Prasek's in Hilje can make some really good smoked hams from them.

I'm starting to realize that I'll eat just about everything and like it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I'll just stick with myroad kill Javalina and Menudo if you don't mind. wave

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Each to his own. While I've eaten lion kill before, not sure I'd eat road kill.