Find
Notify
Tools

Butter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
For you do-it-yourselfers who have access to fresh creamy milk like I do. This article talks about how to properly care for homemade butter.

I buy raw milk locally and make my own butter. My neighbor has A2A2 herd of Jerseys and Guernseys which have a large cream content. I use a one gallon sun tea jar that has a spigot at the base to draw off the milk and separate the cream. I just use a pair of quart canning jars to shake down the cream to butter and buttermilk.

I freeze the buttermilk in zipper baggies for other items.

This site is very informative if you ever decide to try your own.

Why butter must be washed and more

Some of my pics:

~Ann

Posts: 19147 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
I remember 50 years ago when my mom would get whole milk and I would make butter from it. Some times by accident.

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's an interesting process. The cream does some funny things before it changes into butter and buttermilk. Kind of an amazing process. Looking forward to some buttermilk biscuits and pancakes.

~Ann

Posts: 19147 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
I make it with high end heavy cream or even sour cream. So Good!

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 363 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, my uncle had the Massey-Ferguson dealership as well as the propane dealership in Wichita Falls; breeding rights from his bull (that my dad went in to partnership for that bull) also an interest in a dairy + when we were kids we would go into the dairy + there was this sea of stainless steel troughs of fresh complete, REAL milk. This would freak out the authorities today but Uncle John would let us take a long handled ladle + dip in to taste that milk than no one today has most likely ever tasted. BTW, I still remember how good it tasted.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with fresh raw milk. If the person keeps a clean cow and equipment there is no issue. If one desires they can pasteurize on their stove top as well. It's not hard to do.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I ate a lot of homemade butter growing up, having grandparents that literally lived a 19th century lifestyle in the 20th century, due to the geographical location of their ranch. We also had a couple of neighbors in our area that kept cows close to our subdivision, and we would buy raw milk from them as well. Big Grin

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Some of you might find this interesting.

My grand used to make butter in a goat skin.

I am not sure how they prepared the goat skin, but we used to use them to carry water in too.

The ones for preparing butter, they would put the milk in, and inflate the skin - again, I a, not really sure how.

But I do remember they hung the skiing with legs up in a holder, and they would hold one end and push it like you do a swing.

They would continue to do this for quite a while.

Apparently this celebrates the fat from the milk.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I bet that goat skin worked quite well. I believe it took about 20 minutes to get the cream to change to butter/buttermilk for me.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I can relate since I always drink a glass of buttermilk every evening with my supper. Smiler

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I can't help it. When you posted celebrate I knew I had to post this old joke. Seems this new monk comes to the vestry + asks the old master if what the monks have been reptinting for years was the same original words. So the Abbott takes him into the rombs to inspect the ancient scrip + all of a student he abbot starts beating his head against the wall, saying "damn it ,the word was celebrate, not celebit"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Saeed, I can't help it. When you posted celebrate I knew I had to post this old joke. Seems this new monk comes to the vestry + asks the old master if what the monks have been reptinting for years was the same original words. So the Abbott takes him into the rombs to inspect the ancient scrip + all of a student he abbot starts beating his head against the wall, saying "damn it ,the word was celebrate, not celebit"[/QUOTE

reptinting ?? rombs ?? celebit = celibate

Grumpy old man with a gun,,,,Do not touch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry my spell check was off + I also was typing in a hurry; sorry again as I just assumed that anyone with a minor modicum of knowledge would be able to put the pieces together + "get it". I'm a grumpy old man too.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing on a cooking channel this method. They hung the skin in a frame on the back of a camel or a horse as they travelled. The natural action did the rest.

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Some of you might find this interesting.

My grand used to make butter in a goat skin.

I am not sure how they prepared the goat skin, but we used to use them to carry water in too.

The ones for preparing butter, they would put the milk in, and inflate the skin - again, I a, not really sure how.

But I do remember they hung the skiing with legs up in a holder, and they would hold one end and push it like you do a swing.

They would continue to do this for quite a while.

Apparently this celebrates the fat from the milk.

Posts: 3664 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote