New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leg of Lamb
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Its funny, as we get older how our tastes change. I never use to like lamb when I was younger but now I love lamb chops. I picked up a couple of legs of lamb, if you've done this you know what they cost! The bigger one was 8-9 lbs & thats the one I dropped on the gas grill.
First I made a bunch of slits in the fatty part, after trimming much of the fat first. In the slits I put slivers of garlic, & rosemary sprigs, some people also use olives, I didn't. Using a brush of rosemary leafs I basted the entire piece with olive oil, crushed rosemary, salt & pepper.
My gas grill has 3 burners, I lit all 3, got everything hot & then placed the lamb on the far left burner & then turned the left & middle burner off. This gave me a constant temp of about 350 degrees. Every half hour I would baste the lamb with olive oil, salt & pepper, yum.
After 2 hours I had an enternal temp of 160 degrees, about medium, pulling the lamb off the grill I let it rest for 15 minutes while I rounded up some fighting gear (a fork) didn't need a knife. I told the grandkids it was pork, they dove in like wolf pups, didn't take long to slick it up. A few dutch oven taters & a bisquit & I felt like a seal. Pretty good fathers day present, even if I had to do it myself.

Dick

one of us
posted Hide Post
very nice six - looks perfect to me!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Biggest problem people have with lamb is they think it is fast food. You just cant cook it properly fast.

A leg like that in the oven would take a good 4 hours to cook to perfection. I would have added slivers of anchovy and chopped garlic and rosemary into slits all over the joint , not trimmed too much fat off at all , and roasted it on a rack in a roasting dish with a lid. Salt and pepper to season , rubbed the oil out of the anchovies all over the meat , baked at 220 degrees Celsius /425 F for half an hour then down to 175 C/ 325F or so till cooked.

The fat drips out under the meat - thats why the rack - and you can roast potatoes and onions and whatever other vegetables takes your fancy in the rendered fat whilst the joint of meat rests in the warming drawer.

Well , thats what I do , anyway... ;-)

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4455 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take the bone out but don't throw out the hole ! Fill the hole with ground pork with rosemary and garlic [these two are always happy with lamb !] You could use prepared sausage if you prefer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
1 CUP OLIVE OIL
1/3 CUP LEMON JUICE
1/2 TSP EACH SAGE/THYME/ROSEMARY.....ALL GROUND FINE.
2-3 TBS CHOPPED PARSLEY
SHAKE LIKE HECK OR BLEND.
MARINATE MEAT IN THIS MIXTURE IN REFRIDGERATOR OVERNIGHT.
GRILL OR ROAST MEAT AND BASTE WITH MIXTURE......TO MEDIUM RARE OR MEDIUM.
THIS RECIPE IS SIMPLE AND FOOLPROOF, AND IS MY ABBREVIATION OS "LAMB PROVENCALE" RECIPE IN THE "NEW YORK TIMES INTERNATIONAL COOKBOOK"

I also use this recipe with venison when grilled. it is seriously good. Do NOT overdo the quantity of lemon juice used.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote