Find
Notify
Tools

Real Mexican pozole
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Folks in these parts have had a hilarious time poking fun at a recent Rachel Ray episode in which she attempted to make a posole dish -- with beans and honey among other wrong turns.
I got to looking for a more authentic recipe and found this sweet little young lady's take on the real deal from Jalisco.
I think I will try it soon, as it is definitely stew and soup season here in virus-ridden New Mexico.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4Mxp3rMiFQ

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I love a good red or green Pozole.
Red with pork butt is my favorite.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Real Pasole recipes are like real chili and body parts everyone has one.
Marguerite at Rocky Mpuntain Lodge used to bring her Pasole to the Thursday "Pot Lucks" and it was ALWAYS the first thing to be emptied.

It was THE BEST Pasole I have ever wrapped my tongue around.

There is a "local" Mexican restaurant that my wife likes. I knew better, but ordered Tamales anyway. I was served a plate of waded up masa with NO filling and a semi-decent red sauce.Only negative comment I have ever made in YELP.

Owner came back to explain that his chef was famous for those tamales on Phoenix . . . . Guess that is a hint to not eat tamales in Phoenix.

For Tamales go to El Modelo on 2nd in ABQ. Been there since I was a kid and I am an Old F . . .!

Rant mode off.

Good chili, pasole Bar B Que is good no matter the recipe used to get there!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this. I really like cooking with dried peppers. And absolutely love hominy.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I make it with Hatch New Mexico dryed red chili. Family loves it..I use a pork back strap or Loin if you must..I also cut thin slices off each end of the strap and have pork fajitas with refriend beans, sliced avocado, sliced tomatoes,on lettuce and a can of Herdez to the meat to taste..a cooked and peeled Jalapeano goes well with this as well as cooke onions on top..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Every time I stop in Hatch, I am overwhelmed by the chile choices, both green and red. Our local Lowe's Market (Texas-based chain) roasts green Hatch chiles 365 days a yer, God bless 'em. Smells like heaven when I open that tub.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NOTHING comes close to Hatch chilie. when i was still able to eat em, we used to go to downtown el paso to the wholesalers loading docks and give em $20 bills per case. would fill up the truck bed then visit relatives.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John, a 25-pound box of Hatch still sells for under $20 here at the height of the harvest.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
how much roasted and peeled?

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got to looking for a more authentic recipe

https://www.rickbayless.com/re...h-all-the-trimmings/

I've made this many times minus the pork trotters and pork shanks, pretty darn good.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John, roasting is usually free if you buy a full box or more. Peeling is up to the buyer, but I find it a wonderful task.
Jim, that looks great, but it is a pretty big batch.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have faith in your abilities to scale it down, also Arbol de Chile is small but packs a lot of heat, I use 3-4 total, and canned white hominy instead of the dried pozole, works just fine.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I am cooking pozole tomorrow
I started tonight with the soaking of the chile pods and blending a paste with white onions, olive oil, oregano, salt and garlic. tomorrow I cube up the pork butt, brown and roast in a sealed pan with some of the chili pod soaking liquid till the pork shreds. Will be served with thinly shredded cabbage, queso fresco, radishes, avocado, tostadas, cilantro and limes.

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think its time to make a batch, thank you fellow culinarians for the inspiration.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Bill, the Chef at the White Sands Missile Range "Pioneer Club" does Pozole and Tamales. They are really good, he used to cook at the Las Posta in Mesilla.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pozole is geographical, varies from one part of Mexico to another, same in Texas where you have a medley of Mexican from different estadas...but balically its menudo without the guts! Smiler I like both and all the variates of each.

Best flour tortillas are made with bacon grease...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Here is what happened today. Fed 16 people.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Seth, La Posta is one of my favorite places to eat in Old Mesilla.
Boomie, can't see the images.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Seth, La Posta is one of my favorite places to eat in Old Mesilla.
Boomie, can't see the images.

you ain't lying. that place should be designated a natural treasure. course, i haven't been in 20 years so it may have been ruined by the "woke" assholes by now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim@IMReps:
https://www.lapostademesilla.com/

THANKS for that! i think. i have been going to la posta since i was a toddler and remember that the parrots used to scare the hell outta me. they had em in cages in narrow crowded hallways and you had to walk right by them and they'd screech at you. loud! the waitresses had to tell them to shut up and scold them so i could walk by. my wife was raised in el paso too and also went there a lot. i showed her site you posted and she got teary eyed. so i had to buy her a La Posta cookbook! if i have to drive her back for a visit i'm sending YOU the gas and motel bill.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
so i had to buy her a La Posada cookbook! if i have to drive her back for a visit i'm sending YOU the gas and motel bill.

rotflmo clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a Gringo who has spent a lot of their live eating a variety of bad Mexican food, I find I still prefer New Mexican "Mexican" over anything else.

Jaliscos was a really common type when I lived in San Marcos, not my bag of donuts.

Baja Mexican found in California with the fish can be good if they don't cilantro you to death.

I am one of those people, who is in the group that cilantro taste like soap.

Most places here in New Mexico outside of Santa Fe are pretty New Mexican, but there are a lot of immigrants from Old Mexico that have screwed up Mexican food here and open joints that feature cilantro the same as salt.

I believe the best feature of New Mexican food is that it is basic allowing the flavors of each part to stand alone.

You don't see New Mexican recipes listing more than 10-12 items, and many have 3-5 excluding salt and pepper.

Here is my New Mexican green salsa recipe. It's not California, I never hear anyone call it Salsa Verde.

3 parts equal by weight cleaned, I usually make enough to last 2-3 weeks, so I do a pound of each.

tomatillos
Hatch green chilies
Pablano chilies

Clean the chilies and tomatillos and toss heavily with a good quality but not super flavorful oil and salt a pepper.

Roast in an oven at 370-420 degrees for about an hour until everything is cooked through, and if possible has a bit of a char (but not burnt).

Run it through a high powered blender or food processor and salt to taste.

Keep it in the fridge for a night to cool down and mature.

3 ingredients beyond salt and pepper, typical New Mexican food staple, I don't know anyone that doesn't ask for the recipe.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BWW.....i live 8 miles outside of san marcos and believe me, theres no real mexican food within 300 miles of here. since leaving el paso, i have ordered chili rellenos maybe 3 times within 100 miles of here and gotten a runny lump of fried batter and burned cheese and one even had a soggy canned old green chili in it. have even been told theres no such thing as green enchiladas, only red, and flat enchiladas with chopped onions and a fried egg on top is unheard of. shame! and they call burritos here tacos.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim@IMReps:
I have faith in your abilities to scale it down, also Arbol de Chile is small but packs a lot of heat, I use 3-4 total, and canned white hominy instead of the dried pozole, works just fine.

I like arbol chilies for cooking too. I might grow some in the garden for 2021.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
John, I know how you detest Austin, but if you want REALLY good chili Rellenos, go to Trudy's restaurant on 30th just one block east of Guadalupe (right next to UT campus). An old house that has been reconditioned into a fabulous restaurant with great food + excellent staff (at least the last time I was there). This was before the virus scare but I have eaten there for years + their chili Rellenos were always my 1st choice.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
There used to be a place like that in Socorro, NM, Old house and each room as it was is a separate dining room and of course the kitchen, "The Kitchen".

Run by three older ladies and the food was too good to be described.
They had a "Mexican Barbeque Rib" plate that was out of this world. Sauce was Red based and unlike any I have ever had.

Maybe the thing to look for is real food, not "FOODY" food.

Funny we keep talking "Real Mexican" and what we are really talking about is the variations of "Real Southwestern" foods. The only foods that I am familiar with are the variants in NM and they vary greatly over the state. Discounting all the "foody fusion" variants and some of those may well be great eats also.

Real Mexican is like real Bar B Que . . . I know it when I smell and taste it.

Back to Pazole/Pasole . . . Fine eating on a peasants budget if prepared well!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best Chile Rellenos are in Casper, Wyoming at El Jaro.

They are in a burrito form smothered in pork green chili stew.

Heaven.

Spicy heaven!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The best Chile Rellenos are in Casper, Wyoming at El Jaro

Looked them up on the internet and it looks like they are closed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everytime I'd go home and see my parents, I'd stop in Douglas and tell El Jaro I am an hour away fire up the grill. Then I'd pick up take out Chile Rellenos from them as I got off the highway.

Kind of sad to see them close, they were my favorite.

I guess this would be a green chili relleno chimichanga in modern lexicon.

Smothered in green chili pork gravy, heaven on earth.

I have never had their equal.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
A pity but apparently a sign of these times that a lot of good restaurants + businesses as well are going belly up. I really feel for all the workers in the restaurant trades right now, I don't know how they are making it.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I got to get those links to the pics work.
One thing I would want to do next time is find the dried hominy instead of using canned. The dried has a much better taste and texture.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Made up a batch of Red Pozole this weekend using dried hominy. Now that I've made pozole using dried or canned hominy, will use the dried moving forward, it makes a better soup both in terms of flavor and texture imho. As a student of the culinary arts, I always enjoy learning new tricks, thanks for the info and insight.

Cheers

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Canned is just wrong, amiright?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

you have to ask??

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

you have to ask??

That was just my New York rhetorical retort.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I had to look up what nixtamilized meant...

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
TC, recall the name of the restaurant in Socorro?

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Socorro?

Eh Roll Eyes

Mean's help in Spanish for a reason. It was a shit hole in 1991 when I was in high school there, and it just as bit of shithole in 2020.

I spend a lot of time working on WSMR near Stallion. I'd rather drive back and forth 3 hours one way than stay the night in Socorro.

If you have a choice between a Green Chile Cheeseburger at the Buckhorn or the Owl. Go to the Owl. The Buckhorn is pretty lackluster, that or drive another 100 miles to Hatch and eat at Sparkys. Any of those 3 choices will give you a $6 for $12.

Hell the PicWic gas stations in Las Cruces have a hell of a Green Chile Cheeseburger.

Had Pasole for lunch and red pork tamales and green chile tamales from my Mesilla chef.

Feeling foundered!