Find
Notify
Tools

Whitetail hamburger meat..recipes!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
I have accumulated a large amount of hamburger meat from my 2 whitetail from this year. Trying to think of ideas for it. Made tacos one night..wanting to try some of your recipes!

Chili, Spaghetti, meatloaf?, burgers, queso, etc etc etc I am open to suggestions!!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Oh just about anything that you would use hamburger for. However, the one dish that was always my son's favorite was what we called "Mess". In a large cast-iron skillet. I would brown the meat (I always added a bit of Boston Butt to the venison), set aside then browned diced potatoes, sauteed an onion, added it all together, spiced with chili powder, paprika, Comino, + garlic powder. After well blended added some frozen peas + corn, covered until the vegetables cooked down the topped it all with grated cheese + served with catsup or any sauce you frefer. Years latrer when they come over they always ask for it.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, concerning meatloaf, when using your usual recipe, alternate Heinz 57 sauce instead of tomato sauce/paste. It gives it a whole different flavor.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As for chili I use the same spices but add cayenne (heat to your taste) then I add a Lg. can of Rotel, a can of corn, a can of kidney beans, a can of pintos. (I know, I know, no beans in chili but We like it + it is good). Serve with grated cheese with some cornbread or if you're lazy over some Fritos. I hope these 3 gives you some ideas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I trim it lean and clean. Mix/grind it 5 to 1 with bacon ends and enjoy the finest hamburgers you could ever ask for!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We grind with approx 5% beef suet and 95% lean trimmed wild game meat.

Believe it or not, a month ago we ground 479 lbs (deer, elk, antelope and 1 buffalo) which has been accumulation for 2 years. (we just know we grind every other year)

This is from the harvest of countless animals by me and the wife, and 4 daughters and their husbands. We all ended up just short of 100 lbs of burger and it'll be gone in the next 2 years.

It's used in any manner and fashion that regular beef hamburger would be used.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
I trim it lean and clean. Mix/grind it 5 to 1 with bacon ends and enjoy the finest hamburgers you could ever ask for!!!

That sounds awesomely delicious!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeke, your regular grind would still be great, and cheaper, for spaghetti, lasagna and such. But for just eating a burger, I sure like the bacon ground in!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I steak out Texas whitetail, the best of deer venison by far..I don't like Mule deer hamburger besides we have elk in Idaho, its as good as beef and the hamburger is second to none..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41754 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you like steak from shanks and ribs etc, you still have hamburg or stew meat from a whitetail.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cajun country fried Venison steak and gravy.

Season meat with a good Cajun seasoning. Form into burgers and pan fry in olive oil at medium temp. Remove meat add Cajun seasoned flour and make a roux. Add 1/2 cup Pinot or Cab wine and enough beef stock whisked to a medium gravy. Return patties cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Make a pot of yellow stone ground grits seasoned with salt, pepper, and butter. Serve patties and gravy over grits. Top with a fried egg over easy Argentine style. Biscuits on the side if you wish.

Posts: 3650 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Get a package of A.C. Legg Bratwurst seasoning and a package of maple breakfast sausage seasoning. Mix the venison 1/2 and 1/2 with pork shoulder season and grind. Form it into tenis ball sized balls and freeze. When solid vacuum pack it in meal sized packs. Both are simple and excellent eating.

Thaw and mash flat in a skillet and fry 'em up.

Posts: 958 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find hamburger/ground meat recipes work well with all species of animal.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well, ruminators anyway but I get your point. I think our friend was interested in any new recipe ideas. I offered 3 but one can never have enough, especially if one is feeding young boys. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
any such thing as wild hog hamburger?

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not? It's good as a roast, it should be good as a burger.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Lasagne.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2246 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Mix with 50/50 spicy Italian sausage for spaghetti, baked ziti or lasagna
50/50 chorizo for Spanish dishes. Soyrizo if you want healthy
Mix in cooked bacon for burgers for more flavor than raw.
Don’t forget to duck! 50/50 with duck and fennel for a great sausage!
Mix in beef fat for shepherds pie.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We had this traditional African meal during our stay in South Africa. It's delicious paired with a red wine. The Africans mix the meat, rice and chutney together on their plate. Then they sprinkle coconut on top. Enjoy! Serves about 8

Ingredients:
2 lbs ground beef, lamb or game meat
Butter and vegetable oil
2 onions chopped
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
1 tbl curry powder
1 tsp ground turmeric
5 allspice seeds, crushed
2 tsp coriander
3 whole cloves, crushed
2 slices stale bread
1/4 cup whole milk
finely grated rind and juice of 1/2 lemon
1 egg
1 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper
3 ounces dried apricots
1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored chopped
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup slivered almonds
6 bay leaves

Topping:
1/2 cup whole milk
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt

Other:
2 cups yellow rice. (Prepare per package directions)
Fruit chutley

Heat butter and oil in a saucepan and fry the onion and garlic until translucent. Stir in the curry powder and turmeric and cook briefly until fragrant. Remove from heat and combine in large bowl with meat, and remaining ingredients (except for topping ingredients and bay leaves). Once mixed, spread into buttered casserole dish and level the top. Roll the bay leaves into little spears and bury them into the layered mix, evenly spaced. Cover top of casserole tightly with foil and bake at 325F for 1 1/4 hours.
Increase oven to 400F. Mix together the topping ingredients (if you used a large casserole, you may need to increase the ingredient amounts). Pour over the casserole and bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes until cooked and lightly browned.

Serve with yellow rice and fruit chutney

Posts: 470 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn, that reads goooood! I'm trying that.

Bob

Posts: 3650 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
Damn, that reads goooood! I'm trying that.

Bob

My whole family loves it. Let me know how it turns out for you.

Posts: 470 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thank y'all for the recommendations! I may need to start another thread for what to do with the venison sausage and venison backstrap next Big Grin These are great!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Do it! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:

Been doing it this way for 30 years tu2
Hard to beat!!! dancing

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No need for hamburger deer meat for us, what most use for hamburger we use for chili meat..Don't like deer hamburger at all..

I do put up some deer/pork sausage every year..and elk/pork also..Med. and extra hot..

Elk hamburger is the best and makes the best tacos ever, highly spiced of course...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41754 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote